Check your shift linkage now !

So I have a 2015 SGS. I keep checking and have not had an issue yet. Would you still take it apart and use the blue locktite anyhow? I assume on the screws that holdboth the shift levers and the inside shift lever also.

So I have a 2015 SGS. I keep checking and have not had an issue yet. Would you still take it apart and use the blue locktite anyhow? I assume on the screws that holdboth the shift levers and the inside shift lever also.
Yes.. I would... it will come apart at the most inopportune time if you don't

Sent from Note4 via TapaTalk

This crap happened to me this weekend while on a ride from the DC area to Nashville TN. The shifter was totally non-functional. Good thing we were 5 miles from a Harley dealership in Wytheville VA. They took care of replacing the parts. I asked was this common and they said yes they have been seeing quite a few of these. When i returned to the DC i put my bike in for the 10K servicing and ask the tech about it and she said yes they have seen quite a few of this situation also.

This crap happened to me this weekend while on a ride from the DC area to Nashville TN. The shifter was totally non-functional. Good thing we were 5 miles from a Harley dealership in Wytheville VA. They took care of replacing the parts. I asked was this common and they said yes they have been seeing quite a few of these. When i returned to the DC i put my bike in for the 10K servicing and ask the tech about it and she said yes they have seen quite a few of this situation also.

Yep same here . Would think they would go a recall for it! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Bill
www.Streetglide.com

They know about it but I'm being told older models did the same thing. I would think they could come up with something a little different. I now carry spares with my tools just in case.

Damn keeping spare parts should not be necessary. Smdh

Check your shift linkage now !

If you don't want to be stranded then you carry the parts. Last time it was the longest 60 miles of my life waiting for it to stop out again. You can always check it to make sure it's tight and that's another suggestion for everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Tom

I have had this happen with front lever on my 06 SG. Probably need to check it now but have never been able to totally get the play out. I did get some longer screws though that went all the way through and put nylon nuts on them

Aaaaand, for my first trick... I mean Post, I'll add my $.03... The first time it happened was July '15, just 2 months after purchasing my 13SG. It took place in Harrisburg, PA at 10:30pm, on my way from VA to Rochester, NY. I robbed Peter to Pay Paul and switched out the bolt on the Trans cover to replace the stripped bolt on the linkage to the Heel/Toe Shaft. It took a long time for it to happen again. The next time was right around Sept. 2015. That time Winchester Harley replaced the Spline Shaft which goes from the Heel/Toe to the linkage, as it was stripped. Soooo, then came 3 weeks across the country on her. I won't bore you with How beautiful the trip was. I was on my way back from Moab, UT. I had just crossed into AZ and turned onto SR160, in Red Mesa, AZ to be exact and was limping along in second gear for a couple miles to a convenience store. Robbed Peter a second time and got back on the road..... I was leaving Knoxville with 3 days left in the trip and the shifter slipped AGAIN! Luckily, I turned back around and back into my friends garage... Yes, to Rob Peter AGAIN!... So, here I am last night, in Richmond, VA and guess what?!?!?! Yep! #4.... So, I called Steel Horse Harley in Richmond, VA to pick the girl up and fix her up. Needless to say, I am BEYOND :mad::mad: .... Interesting note to point out. My 2005 Yamaha 1100 cruiser (In the garage) has the same linkage design. I've put over 100k on her and have YET to replace that bolt or Any Other bolt relating to the shifter or linkage. Maybe I should consider dropping my SG off in the York, PA parking lot and go back to the 1100.

Thanks all, checked mine and it was about to come apart. 2014 with 6,000 miles. Replaced the shaft and bolt on the rear linkage and then added locktite to everything. That is the second breakdown this forum has saved me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20,000 miles / 3 years. Never had an issue with the linkage.

Thanks for the heads up,I used locktite on every bolt etc on the shifter today..
One other thing is the spline shaft on the heal/toe,I removed every thing from that shaft and pulled the spline shaft out,it was dry from factory...
In the past I have found the spline shaft on my deluxe and on friends heritages etc with the heal/toe shifter ,The spline shaft would seize after a while if it was left running dry,you were not able to shift down or up...
The fix is to remove the splined shaft and clean it and the shaft assembly holder? then coat the spline shaft in grease and reassemble,if you tend to wash your bike a lot or use a pressure washer to clean the bike it tends to wash the grease from the shaft...I normally grease the spline shaft at least once per year
The arrow is showing the spline shaft I'm talking about..

IMG_20161208_125855.jpg

The splines on my 14SGS stripped at 21000 miles, replaced the whole setup. Seems like awefully soft metal to be stripping the splines.

Did you get a warrantee with it ??? Had mine strip out while I was at Sturgis in 2015. Carry an extra shifter shaft and linkage with me now just in case.

I had a similar issue, but it was where the spline went through the mount to connect to the linkage. The shifter would slip up and down and could not shift gears. I rode to the dealership in 1st gear.

They said the spline was worn and fixed it under warranty. Its hard to believe the spline would wear so quickly 7500 miles.

First post here, been riding for about 2 years now. Anyhow, I too had this happen to me. I was traveling down the highway on my way home from work about a month ago. When I got to my exit, I went to down shift and the lever went to the floorboard. I looked to see what was happening and the linkage and rod were hanging out onto the floorboard. Luckily I didn't have to downshift on the highway. I had my wife bring me my allen wrenches so I could reattach the linkage to the shifter rod. I have since put red loctite on the bolt to make sure it won't back out again. This happened to me with about 9300 miles on my bike.

Odd that some of Yall have failures within a few thousand miles while some (including me) can go 25+ without a problem. I noticed all the replacement ones from pm, kuryakyn and even Harley have heim joints so I guess that's good justification to add some bling, and peace of mind.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk.

Odd that some of Yall have failures within a few thousand miles while some (including me) can go 25+ without a problem. I noticed all the replacement ones from pm, kuryakyn and even Harley have heim joints so I guess that's good justification to add some bling, and peace of mind.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk.

Problem wasn't the linkage for me. It was the splines on the shifter. Just went out on me last week at 13K. I was 800 miles from home and by myself at the time. Managed to limp it to the hotel and then to the dealer the next day when it opened. They replaced the lever and the shaft and I was back on the road. I guess I'll just have to carry around a spare shaft, just in case it happens again. Quality engineering there. Exact same thing happened to my friend's CVO at 7K.

Problem wasn't the linkage for me. It was the splines on the shifter. Just went out on me last week at 13K. I was 800 miles from home and by myself at the time. Managed to limp it to the hotel and then to the dealer the next day when it opened. They replaced the lever and the shaft and I was back on the road. I guess I'll just have to carry around a spare shaft, just in case it happens again. Quality engineering there. Exact same thing happened to my friend's CVO at 7K.
Which splines stripped on yours? The ones coming from the tranny or the shift lever? I know splines offer more adjustment but maybe a squared socket may be a more robust design. Then again, maybe it's just the metal considering cars and bikes use splines to transfer engine power to the wheels.

Having not experienced the problem myself, I'm still unsure of all the causes. But when it comes to the 4 wheel variety I've never met someone with a shifter fall apart. Unless you count the transfer case on the dad's bronco.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
properMisfit