Cluncking and Chattering at 10K miles

Mar 1, 2016
A problem showed itself yesterday. Getting a sound on the right rear side of the bike that sounds like gravel in a metal hubcap. It is intermittent (of course) Seems more noticeable when lugging the motor 15 - 2000 rpm. Power is still good and the bike shifts the same as always. Anybody experience anything like this ?? Will be putting it up on the lift tomorrow and hoping that something is just loose.

I think muffler supports coming loose was once a problem. You could even pull your muffler to see if anything is somehow in there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was trouble shooting a similar issue a few years ago and after measuring clearance on everything, removing saddle bag brackets and reinstalling, and etc. etc. I was ready to throw in the towel when I found what the culprit was. I had looked in the saddle bags many times, but this time I saw a black multi tool was hiding in the rear bottom of the bag.
Felt like an idiot but that took care of it.

I had something similar and it turned out to be 2 things. #1 was the crossover clamp on the pipes was loose. The bigger issue was a brass fitting inside the stock pipes was only half welded and would vibrate at 2000-2500 RPM. The tech at the dealer said they have seen this a lot recently. It was still under warrantee and they replaced the pipes, problem gone. BTW, I just hit 10K

Thanks lorick, and all who replied. I dont think i need a tuner as i have run my V&H pipes for 9K miles. Nothing floating in the saddlebags. I did scrape the right side pipes 3 or 4 times fairly hard on my last 2K trip in some sharp corners, so i will start there. Thanks to all and any other ideas helpful.

I put the bike up on the stand today and ran it thru the gears. 1,2, and 3 seem ok. 4th and up there is an audible clunking noise inside the case. When applying power , is goes away. When i hold the throttle at 2000 rpm i can hear it. When i drop it down to 1000 rpm, it is louder. Is there a service manual posted on this site ? Before i go to the dealer, i would like to pull the side covers off and have a look. Any help appreciated .

Cluncking and Chattering at 10K miles

I was trouble shooting a similar issue a few years ago and after measuring clearance on everything, removing saddle bag brackets and reinstalling, and etc. etc. I was ready to throw in the towel when I found what the culprit was. I had looked in the saddle bags many times, but this time I saw a black multi tool was hiding in the rear bottom of the bag.
Felt like an idiot but that took care of it.

Hahaha. I had a similar issue and figured my engine had a really bad problem. Discovered it was the metal case for my ear plugs in my windshield pouch rattling, Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar experience, it ended up being a loose bolt on the header support tab. It’s right behind the O2 sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul90