Cooling Harley engine

BlkDragon

Jul 20, 2015
I am looking for a way to cool my bike during summer rides, especially in the city. Weather here is around 75 degree and bike is already heating up and shutting off one cylinder while I am at a stop.

I searched and found CoolFlow Fan by Harley. Does anyone using it, if so I like their feedbacks. I saw other ones like Jim's ForceFlow & Love Jugs, which one works best and why?

coolflow_fan_kit.2.jpg

BlkDragon- On my 2014 SGS I licked the heat problem by adding a dual ceramic coated Rush Header pipe.

The temperature management (EITMS) turns off the rear cylinder based on ambient or engine temperature. If it is above about 80F it will activate even if the engine is not overheating.

I'm going to try a set of Wards fans: Wards Fans

9905218_orig.jpg

That's sort of a bandaid. Switch to Mobil 1 V Twin full synthetic, and you should notice the temp drop, and your legs won't feel like they're getting roasted.

I'm going to try a set of Wards fans: Wards Fans

View attachment 12300

I don't know about Wards fans for couple of reasons; 1: takes several months to get one with deposit, 2: sounds as it's not made for traffic stop/go......and website sound very cocky.....whatever the reason behind that maybe ok for them but that's not how you do business. I will try another product.

But hulkss please keep us posted with your findings on Wards fans and thanks for sharing!

I don't know about Wards fans for couple of reasons; 1: takes several months to get one with deposit, 2: sounds as it's not made for traffic stop/go......and website sound very cocky.....whatever the reason behind that maybe ok for them but that's not how you do business. I will try another product.

But hulkss please keep us posted with your findings on Wards fans and thanks for sharing!

Yet another bandaid. It's like people that have health issues, and rather than address the underlying problem, they take a drug. A drug that then has side effects.

I'm telling you, man. Switch to the oil I mentioned. It sure has made a big difference for me on my twin cam bikes

Forced air cooling with fans is not a band aid. Our engines are air cooled. Here you can see the hot area, right where the fans are positioned at the combustion chamber. This is by far the biggest source of heat generated by the engine.

harley011.jpg

Here's a comparison of thermal conductivity and specific heat for conventional (Group II) and Full Synthetic (Group V) oils. Synthetic has higher thermal conductivity but lower specific heat. The net result is virtually no difference in oil heat transfer capability.

There may be a little less heat generated if friction is reduced with synthetic but this is a very small portion of total engine heat generation. Going to a lower viscosity will increase oil flow and reduce oil churning/pumping losses resulting in slightly cooler running, but again, this is a small effect.

oil heat.jpg

Forced air cooling with fans is not a band aid. Our engines are air cooled. Here you can see the hot area, right where the fans are positioned at the combustion chamber. This is by far the biggest source of heat generated by the engine.

View attachment 12302

Here's a comparison of thermal conductivity and specific heat for conventional (Group II) and Full Synthetic (Group V) oils. Synthetic has higher thermal conductivity but lower specific heat. The net result is virtually no difference in oil heat transfer capability.

There may be a little less heat generated if friction is reduced with synthetic but this is a very small portion of total engine heat generation. Going to a lower viscosity will increase oil flow and reduce oil churning/pumping losses resulting in slightly cooler running, but again, this is a small effect.

View attachment 12303

Doesn't say if it's the same oil I'm recommending. Probably isn't. Look, this made a big difference for me. Before people go putting on fans and air deflectors, it might be worth trying it to see if it reduces heat enough to their liking. I know it did for me.

Right on, hulkss!! In God we trust…all others, bring data! (from one ME to another!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In all seriousness, just having fun, not trying to start a pissing contest. If you feel you got the benefits of noticeably lower operating temps, that's great and all that matters. However, there's nothing to really support that premise, and as hulkss says, any benefit is likely to be very small. If you look at Mobil 1 claims for that particular oil, there is no claim for lower operating temps and you have to assume that they would certainly advertise it if it was proven. Again, nothing adversarial about my comments, just trying to provide a factual point of view.

You guys are too funny. The reason you feel that your engine may be too hot, and therefore needs remedies like fans and deflectors, is because you can feel too much heat on your upper legs... But when I say that changing to Mobil 1 full synthetic oil decreased the heat I could feel on my upper legs, I'm asked for data.

Read my post again. I'm simply stating there's little to no evidence of reduced temps and clearly stated that if you feel there was a benefit for you that's great.

Read my post again. I'm simply stating there's little to no evidence of reduced temps and clearly stated that if you feel there was a benefit for you that's great.

I was responding to your post, and at least one other person since the last time I chimed in, which is why I didn't quote you, and said "you guys"

Oil needs to be changed eventually anyway. I'm just saying that perhaps before spending money on fans and deflectors, perhaps switching to the oil I recommend on your next oil change, just might end up giving you great results as it did for me.

In all seriousness, just having fun, not trying to start a pissing contest. If you feel you got the benefits of noticeably lower operating temps, that's great and all that matters. However, there's nothing to really support that premise, and as hulkss says, any benefit is likely to be very small. If you look at Mobil 1 claims for that particular oil, there is no claim for lower operating temps and you have to assume that they would certainly advertise it if it was proven. Again, nothing adversarial about my comments, just trying to provide a factual point of view.

Also, so you said Mobil 1 didn't say anything about lower operating temps. They actually did, in a round about way. See here https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-v-twin-motorcycle-oil

In one area, they say "Mobil 1™ V-Twin 20W-50 synthetic motorcycle oil is formulated to help offer outstanding protection in four-cycle, V-Twin type engines – particularly those that are air-cooled and tend to run hotter than other types of engines." In another area, they say "Exceptional thermal stability can help resist oxidation and high-temperature degradation". Also, check out the reviews. Many people talking about how the oil lowered their motor temps.

BlkDragon : I bought the Wards Fan almost 2 years ago for my 2014 SGS. I mounted them as directed, couldn't be happier w/ the performance and have noted a reduction in cyl temps. A buddy of mine has the Love Jugs on his Harley but they look too big for me.

I believe the HD CoolFlow fan is for the new 2017 models. I'm not sure how easy it would be to adapt to an earlier model. I've heard good things about the Wards fans but for me, I went with FM Jackpot SS headpipes with a PV and that significantly reduced the amount of heat from the exhaust.

Actually I am a huge fan of Mobil 1 oil and use it on all my vehicles. However my bike is still hot enough that at the light it shuts down one cylinder and sounds like a lawn mower but I really don't care as it's cooling off my bike so it'll not destroy the motor. However I sure like to have a fan in place to cool it off better.

mbloom, thanks for your input on Wards fan....

HD Coolflow fan is only to redirect heat from the rider/passenger so it doesn't really cool the bike....Forceflow or will look into other fans, more research to do on this and summer is creeping up faster than I can take it. Maybe stop riding during summer like some of you guys that live in cold country.....LOL!

Actually I am a huge fan of Mobil 1 oil and use it on all my vehicles. However my bike is still hot enough that at the light it shuts down one cylinder and sounds like a lawn mower but I really don't care as it's cooling off my bike so it'll not destroy the motor. However I sure like to have a fan in place to cool it off better.

mbloom, thanks for your input on Wards fan....

HD Coolflow fan is only to redirect heat from the rider/passenger so it doesn't really cool the bike....Forceflow or will look into other fans, more research to do on this and summer is creeping up faster than I can take it. Maybe stop riding during summer like some of you guys that live in cold country.....LOL!

You're using Mobil 1, but is it Mobil 1 full synthetic V Twin?if so, then I guess the component I hadn't considered is how hot it must be where you are

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul90