Disappearing Oil?

09 Softail C

Jan 8, 2017
Between the 1K and 5k service the oil was down 1/2 qt or so. Now at 7,300 miles yesterday oil light came on, pulled over, down a full quart. When I restarted the bike the light did not come back on. To be safe I stopped 1/2 mile down the road bought oil and added some. Dealer wants me to leave it for a week. Anyone else losing oil? No smoke and no drips on garage floor.

If it’s not dripping out somewhere, and you’re not blowing black smoke out your pipe (rings), then pull off your air cleaner and check it out. These bikes are pumping an amazing amount out of the rocker box crank case breather and into the throttle body some times. I plugged my air box route to the throttle body and rerouted to a catch can. I’m surprised at how much I drain from it during a 3000 mile oil change. It’s not a quart, or even half a quart, but it’s more oil than I want going into my combustion chamber.
If you’re puking that much into your air intake then the bottom inside of your air filter should be saturated with oil residue. If it’s not, then that’s not where the oil is disappearing to.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy2000