Exhaust mount boss

malthous

Jun 2, 2016
I have a 2017 Street Glide Special that was involved in a rear-end accident on Sept. 29th. The guy who hit me was riding a 2002 Honda VTX 1800. He hit me on the right bag and impacted the right slip-on pretty hard. I have Vance and Hines Power Duals on that bike and it pushed the exhaust forward maybe a quarter inch - it looked like just the mounting bracket was bent. Upon removal, it was clear that the mounting boss cast into the engine case was cracked (see pics). That boss it in between the trans cover and the cam cover, closer to the cam cover. I am installing a V&H Pro pipe and, fortunately, it doesn't use that boss - its mounting bracket attaches the the lower two trans cover bolts. My concern is whether those cracks will propagate into the engine casing. I could cut the boss off beyond the cracks without coming anywhere near the side of the casing - but I am sure that would void the warranty - if it's not already voided. Before anyone asks, the insurance situation is complicated - I am stuck with solving the problem myself. If the cracks are just "there" and don't pose any further issue, then it's no big deal. Thoughts?
IMG_4538.jpgIMG_4545.jpgIMG_4547.jpgView attachment 13938View attachment 13939

Attachments

• IMG_4550.jpg
    IMG_4550.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4549.jpg
    IMG_4549.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
Cut the cracked boss off and carefully grind the rest down smooth with the rest of the casing. Hit it with some wrinkle black paint to make it blend in and it will look nice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith