Front suspension . . . 2016 FLHXS

Wrenched

Jul 26, 2016
Can somebody please tell me how to make this bike ride like a touring motorcycle instead of a bucking bronco? I'm 175lbs. soaking wet and my wife weighs about 130. I've set the rear shocks on every possible setting and I still feel every single pebble I hit. I'm open to any suggestions especially for the front forks . . . Ohlins? Progressive? Axeo? Surely SOMEBODY has fixed these bikes . . . what did you do????

Ohlin now has cartridges for the front , plus they make great shocks for the rear.

JRI 12" adjustables in the rear and (-1) Legends axeo for the front. Butter..................smooth.

Last edited:
I have Legend Axeo and Revo-A. Great ride! I had to take the Axeo out and use stock for a week and couldn't wait to put them back in.

Hey guys, thanks for your feedback and suggestions. I'm happy to say I've tamed this beast by adding Legend Axeo front cartridges and Revo A's rear shocks and the difference is amazing. For those of you encountering the same issues with a lousy ride I highly recommend the Legend shocks even though they are somewhat pricey but worth every penny. I've had two conversations with their customer service and they're very helpful. . . explained my dilemma and I couldnt be happier!!! The adjusments on the rears are pretty precise so I'm still fine tuning them and they are awesome . . . good luck!!!!!!

Can somebody please tell me how to make this bike ride like a touring motorcycle instead of a bucking bronco? I'm 175lbs. soaking wet and my wife weighs about 130. I've set the rear shocks on every possible setting and I still feel every single pebble I hit. I'm open to any suggestions especially for the front forks . . . Ohlins? Progressive? Axeo? Surely SOMEBODY has fixed these bikes . . . what did you do????

I wonder if that's an issue with the Specials? I have the FLHX and my ride has always been butter smooth. It did get a little harsher when I added the 2" lowering blocks? I weigh in at 235

Hey guys, thanks for your feedback and suggestions. I'm happy to say I've tamed this beast by adding Legend Axeo front cartridges and Revo A's rear shocks and the difference is amazing. For those of you encountering the same issues with a lousy ride I highly recommend the Legend shocks even though they are somewhat pricey but worth every penny. I've had two conversations with their customer service and they're very helpful. . . explained my dilemma and I couldnt be happier!!! The adjusments on the rears are pretty precise so I'm still fine tuning them and they are awesome . . . good luck!!!!!!
Good to hear all the solutions. Like you, I feel (literally) that the suspension is disappointing on the 2016 FLHXS. The roads here in England vary from pretty good to training routes for tanks! I hit a couple of bumps today and it felt like a jackhammer hitting my spine.

I still love the bike. I always promised myself that my last bike would be a Harley and here it is

Getting a quote today on a combination of Ohlins FKC-102 fork internals and a pair of Wilbers 640 shocks as recommended by a local suspension expert.

This isn't going to be cheap...

Incidentally, when I measured my Harley shocks from bolt centre to bolt centre, they were just 11.5 inches long.

I am fed up with my suspension also, thinking of going with progressive. Will the 444's be good enough or should I pony up $120 more for the 924's?

I put the 444's back n the rear of my 08. And love them. I hear and see a lot of bad things said about progressive shocks. But they seem to be doing well for me
They take a little bit to get broke in. But once they do, great shock. I did the 12" 115/155 spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had Ohlins HD772 shocks fitted. Superb, plush, controlled. But not cheap...

Progressive Monotubes in the front. Dirty air fast up kit in the back. 2014 FLHX... Don't even feel the bumps anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the way mine rides. This is waaaay smoother than my last bike and hell it is smoother than my last car lol.

I started researching suspensions right after purchasing this bike last year. Had convinced myself I would wait until next year to change, until I took a ride last week. We went down a couple of very rough roads and I felt like I was having my a$$ kicked all the way along. Put in an order for the Legend Revo A shocks today. Cant wait to get them! Now, will have to see if the front end can wait a bit longer.....

After researching this quite a bit I'm going with this guy . He sells Ohlins and he's also an Ohlin service center, he will build you front cartridges / rear shocks with Ohlin components and custom valving.

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469