Front suspension upgrade to Legend AXEO with 21" wheel/tire

BlkDragon

Jul 20, 2015
All,
If you are planning to upgrade your front suspension and going with 21" wheel/tire DO NOT go with 1" drop Legend AXEO. I was told by the shop where I got my suspension done to go with 1" drop though I feel not good about after watching/listening to Legend folks not recommending that....but I was talked into and now I may have to go with different fender to avoid crashbar hitting the front fender. 21" wheel/tire came with fender lift kit, once fender is lifted it got very close to crashbar top mount.

I have been riding it around and so far no issue but I am sure if I ever hit a huge pothole it'll hit for sure.....I have less than 2" travel.....but the bike looks cool.....LOL!

So I DON'T recommend going with 1" drop if you are going to upgrade to 21" wheel/tire on your SG/RG.

Good things to know but I already have the drop kit in. Can you show some pictures? Really want to see the new wheel, have to pick one for mine!

Here you go....so far that's the only few pics I have of my bike.....with 21" wheel/tire.

IMG-2680b.JPG

Nice Bike, Thank you. Do you feel any difference with the 21 from the 19? are there any ABS issues?

Last edited:
Nice Bike, Thank you. Do you feel any difference with the 21 from the 19? are there any ABS issues?

No difference at all, it rides perfectly normal as the height is very much same as OEM, AEXO springs really make a huge difference comparing to OEM springs. It eats up all the cracks, potholes, patches and railroad tracks with ease.....I highly recommend Legend springs, worth every penny I spent on them. I will get the rear done next, need to save up for them....LOL! I have FLXH therefore I don't have ABS so I can't answer that question but I am sure you shouldn't have any issues.....

Just got back from a trip with my wife and at one point we were on a bad road with bumps. We hit couple of them very hard, we were in the air but bike did not hit the front fender. I thought for sure those bumps did the job but not a dent/scratch on the fender. I am extremely impressed with Legend AXEO and going with 1" drop is the right choice. I can't speak for other brands of front suspension with 1" drop with 21" wheel/tire.....but Legend since I have them installed and tested I can truly say you are going to be ok. Bike is pretty much OEM height and looks very cool with 1" drop.

The main thing that I recommend Legend AXEO is I don't have back issue any longer, whenever I am done with any long trip I am to the point I can barely walk. I am about ready to drive down to my chiropractor and have my back adjusted. Now I do not have any back pain, I don't feel all the bumps and I don't have to be ready all the time so I don't get sharp pain whenever I hit a good bump. Now I relax, drop back and just ride, front AXEO suspension absorbed most of the shocks from the road so I can ride longer. I am known to be a ride and ride and ride kind of guy, now with this I only stop for fuel and my wife kept reminding me that she needs to use little girl's room, I keep forgetting to stop.....LOL!!!!!

Last edited:
BlkDragon,

I purchased an 21" Reinforcer wheel some time ago for my 2015 FLHX. I just received Legends Axeo -1" suspension kit (0414-0495) today. I'm curious if that is the same part number that you used? In the box they came in there was a note from Legends that this kit was not to be used with 21" wheel?

I have the -1 Axeos on mine and have a 21" wheel on order. My Axeos did not come with a note, I've had them a year now. I would guess the concern is fender clearance. Even with the stock fender it looks close.

BlkDragon,

I purchased an 21" Reinforcer wheel some time ago for my 2015 FLHX. I just received Legends Axeo -1" suspension kit (0414-0495) today. I'm curious if that is the same part number that you used? In the box they came in there was a note from Legends that this kit was not to be used with 21" wheel?

Sorry about not seeing this post.....I will look it up and get back to you later today.

I have the -1 Axeos on mine and have a 21" wheel on order. My Axeos did not come with a note, I've had them a year now. I would guess the concern is fender clearance. Even with the stock fender it looks close.

I have been riding it in many conditions and so far not a single issue with clearance, no marks or sign of bottoming out. I was very much worry at the beginning, so I was actually ready for different fender if/when I have issue but now I know for sure I am sure no issue for sure.

BlkDragon,

I just checked and part # is exactly the same as you mentioned.......no note stating not to use with 21" wheel though....

If I remember I reached out to Eric from Legend and see what Legend said below:

Thank you for your inquiry. As far as the 1” lowered goes we do not recommend that you install a 21” wheel with this kit, as you could run into fender clearance. Now, I have seen many people install a 21” wheel with the AXEO 1” lowered, just make sure that you check clearances. The issues described in the forum have been addressed and taken care of. As far as what would happen if the nitrogen did leak out, the font end would lower about 1’’ slowly, it wouldn’t be a sudden drop in the front end. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks

Very Respectfully,
Eric Flatmoe

It's up to you to go ahead and take a risk but for me not only it looks great, rides great and I am loving it.....hope this helps!

BlkDragon, Timcza,

Glad it's working out on yours. Thanks for the input. Apparently Legends now carries suspension kits for 21" & 23" wheels. Living in south western PA.( which stands for Pothole Abundance) I've reconsidered using this kit for uneasy feeling of possibly crushing stock fender. Lindsey at Iron Aces has been working with me on this exchange. Highly recommend buying from her, GREAT customer service! Also contacted Legends and received this:

Thank you for your inquiry and patronage of Legend Suspensions. I would heed the warning label and definitely suggest not installing the 1” lowered Axeo with the 21” wheel. If installed, you run the risk of damaging the front fender in the event of a bottom out due to the fender striking the lower triple tree. The kit that you need is the 0414-0542, which will limit the travel 1” at the bottom of the stroke to prevent damage from occurring. This kit will also lower the front end ¾” so it will compensate for the larger wheel and tire that raises the front end of the bike.

I apologize for the bad news but hopefully this helps you out, please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Very Respectfully,

Eric Flatmoe
Customer Service Dept.

Lindsey turned return around in a matter of days and I received the Axeo21 kit yesterday. Hope to install everything in the coming week.

Well, I guess it's too late for me as mine has been installed and been riding. I will just take a chance for now. It cost way too much for me to switch out again.... :-(

My guess is it's just a CYA situation for Legends. Obviously if you've been running this set up for awhile and its working, then all's good. Pic's of your bike looks bad ass!

My guess is it's just a CYA situation for Legends. Obviously if you've been running this set up for awhile and its working, then all's good. Pic's of your bike looks bad ass!

Thanks 31 Yrs., hope for the best......if Legend AXO ever failed then I will swap out my front fender the same time as the shop that did my front suspension told me there are low profile fenders out there to take care of the issue.

Be sure to post pic of your bike when you are done with it.

Thanks to you guys for reaching out to Legends, it's very good information for us all to know.

Thanks. I was going to go with the 1” drop, and was holding off. I’m still riding on the stock front end with that same wheel except in gloss black. It rides well...I honestly feel that the bike handles better
add8c4601006385f97775f16f578a41a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got my bike back from the shop with rear Legend Revo shocks installed. Definitely sits higher and I can clear corners better now. From sitting position with both feet on the floor it doesn't feel as it's 1" taller but definitely taller as bike is not hitting anything when I go around corners like before. But I have not tried the bike with my wife on it so that'll be tomorrow on our way to work.....I will report back with my findings tomorrow after work.

Shop told me the bike will feel a bit stiff at first and the more I ride it with 2 up the better it'll get as it's set more for 2 up. My wife & I ride more than I ride alone so I had the shop set it up that way. I will know more on my way to Laughlin in 2 weeks.

The way Revo's are setup feel exactly the same as CVO shocks I had on.....stiff and bounce like hell. I adjusted out to give it more softer ride, will test again to work with wife tomorrow.

Any suggestions on adjusting the rear Revo's? I am 225lb, wife is 130lb......I was going to turn just one full turn but decided to try 2 full turns and go from there.

Stay tuned, more to come on Revo shocks settings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith