Headlight frustrations begin to set in...

Dozier

Jan 28, 2016
Ok. Let's start with a little background info here. I am a bit of an OCD guy. I like to have the best of some things, and the most functional of others. I have a 2016 Street Glide Special which came with the OEM reflector style 2 bulb headlight system. The hi beam is an H11 I believe and the low is an H9 if I recall correctly, or vice versa. Either way doesn't matter for the issue I am having. The OEM light wasn't sufficient enough for me to "feel" safe. I like bright headlights so people aren't as tempted to pull out in front of me. In the past I have looked into ALL HEADLIGHT OPTIONS. So there isn't any need in attempting to educate me on what I should have bought. Now that we got that out of the way. I have ran the Kuryakyn Phase 7 LED on my last bike along with the LED passing lamps. Problem is that the previous bike had passing lamps on it. My Street Glide does not have passing lamps. I like the single light setup. So LEDs focus too much straight on ahead and not on the sides...Unless you have passing lamps which I don't want. So the best option is HID which produces nice light on the side in the OEM housing if you get a powerful enough HID apparently. I purchased the kit from MotorcycleHIDKits.com for 89.99 which included the low beam bulb and high beam bulb at 5k temp. They are 35w ballasts. Installed them and found that they produced less light than the OEM Halogen bulbs did! So, I contacted the company and advised I wanted to trade them for 55w ballasts. They do not offer this. So I am returning the kit to them. I ordered another 55w kit from ebay for a car. H11 kit. The H11 bulbs will also fit in the H9 housing. I installed this kit today. The headlight on low beam will ignite for 1 second and turn off. I haven't even attempted the hi beam yet. I believe I am going to have to use a relay harness for the kit to get the voltage I need to supply the ballast enough to stay on. Not such a problem with that. Here is the kicker. I will need two of these relay harnesses for two bulbs due to running two separate switches..Hi switch, low switch. Problem is too much wiring. My battery post is only so big. LOL. I don't want 5 lbs of wires for a headlight upgrade...Geesh. Any ideas? Buy two HID relay harnesses and splice them in to the same ground and power source. Then run separate relays? I really don't know what I am going to do at this point. Pretty frustrated.

I won't try to "educate" you, as you know what you're doing. However, the Daymaker you describe, sounds like it is the PROJECTOR, and NOT the Reflector. I had similar "spread" issues as I originally had the Projector. I traded down to the Reflector after one night with the Projector. I readjusted the headlight per the instructions in our OWNER'S MANUAL. Made a tremendous difference. The REFLECTOR is ONE BRIGHT WHITE SPREAD of LIGHT when adjusted properly. Brighter than ALL of my riding buddy's lights including some CVO's and A/market flame throwers. You have to ADJUST it exactly like the manual says. Don't skip ANY steps. If you think they adjust 'em all to the correct position at the factory, I think you'd be wrong. I have yet to find one that is adjusted correctly. They'd have to take each bike to a level surface, 25 feet from a flat wall and do some measuring and wall marking to get them right. I've adjusted 6 of them now, and it really does make a huge difference.

Also, keep in mind that HID'S draw a lot of current at "Start-Up", & then draw lessens after that. Consider the H.O. Charging system (#29900028). Mine was installed by the dealer before my bike was delivered as it is RECOMMENDED INSTALLATION ANYTIME A MULTI AMP AUDIO SYSTEM IS INSTALLED (directly from the parts catalog), and my dealer firmly stressed it.
Having said all that...
Check into MARINE ELECTRONICS Suppliers for Battery Terminal extention devices. I don't know if this place has motorcycle specific stuff but they offer some really cool items for allowing boat batteries to except multiple connections...

JohnnyRaySports.com

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks. This is the light I have. Not a daymaker or a projector. I will probably end up making my own harness for the entire set up. It just sucks that I have to do this.

I too am big on the single headlight look. However, I found a set of motolights for $150 [emoji16][emoji1303]. They do just the trick. Highly recommend them.

You scare me. Not sure what all that means, but I went JW Speaker EVO II and the aux lights. I love it! just off the cuff like Bobo, 5 times more light for me and I ride country roads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hey dozier, you say the led focuses straight and not to the sides, I found this not to be the case with the jw speaker 8700 evolution 2 as I'm sure others on here would attest to the same opinion as I, I have ridden a 2 lane canyon road with this light and it has a wide footprint off to the sides and into the ditches on BOTH sides of the road..
Just sayin

Use a terminal strip to hook up both relays and still have room for additional accessories. Just run one wire from the battery to the terminal strip, use a jumper wire between two terminals and connect the relays to said terminals. Here's an example of two terminal strips that I installed on my former drag bike. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
Get the clear or smoked turn signal lenses, and get the Custom Dynamics LED clear/ amber units, they are plug-n-play and add more light to the front of the bike.

I also ride country roads. That's why I need more light. LOL. I just don't like the look of the aux lights you bought. I want a single headlight and not other lamps to the right or left of the main light.

You scare me. Not sure what all that means, but I went JW Speaker EVO II and the aux lights. I love it! just off the cuff like Bobo, 5 times more light for me and I ride country roads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I also ride country roads. That's why I need more light. LOL. I just don't like the look of the aux lights you bought. I want a single headlight and not other lamps to the right or left of the main light.

Hey dozier, you say the led focuses straight and not to the sides, I found this not to be the case with the jw speaker 8700 evolution 2 as I'm sure others on here would attest to the same opinion as I, I have ridden a 2 lane canyon road with this light and it has a wide footprint off to the sides and into the ditches on BOTH sides of the road..
Just sayin

Would you mind taking a picture at night time on a back country road or something? Behind the handle bars and looking from the middle of a road so I can see the ditches and places where deer hide? I don't know anyone with a JW speaker 8700. I am definitely interested as I DO love the LED lighting I had on my Phase 7 last year.

Use a terminal strip to hook up both relays and still have room for additional accessories. Just run one wire from the battery to the terminal strip, use a jumper wire between two terminals and connect the relays to said terminals. Here's an example of two terminal strips that I installed on my former drag bike. Hope this helps.

Good idea...I will look into this also. Thanks!

Last edited:
@ Dozier...not sure that I could get that pic for you as I don't travel that 2 lane canyon road very often and not at night and not many deer out in southern california where I live just some donkeys..lol but maybe someone else could, but it's a damn good light
As far as the custom dynamics lights go they are led turn signal replacements that have little bright white lights around the bezel that make it visible to others you might be coming up behind that would make YOU visible to them as you mentioned earlier

Where do I get the best deal on this jw speaker 8700 evolution 2 light? I see a good price on 4 wheel parts online. But it's black. I want chrome. Also my 2016 street glide doesn't need the mounting kit right? What about adapter harness?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You will need a wire harness, I would also check out the new light from custom dynamics they have a video of it on their website I believe.

Where do I get the best deal on this jw speaker 8700 evolution 2 light? I see a good price on 4 wheel parts online. But it's black. I want chrome. Also my 2016 street glide doesn't need the mounting kit right? What about adapter harness?

4 wheel parts was the best deal I could find and I think they have the chrome also.

Harness u get from HD bout 20 bucks it's a one into one connection as opposed to the stock one into two

Harness u get from HD bout 20 bucks it's a one into one connection as opposed to the stock one into two
One into one? I don't follow. I have two bulbs so two headlight sockets. One for high and one for low.

Sorry I should've been more specific....your current setup has a pigtail... 1 plug connection coming from the bike and 2 plug connection at the headlight..hi/lo beam
The new led one you would need is the same on the side coming from bike and only 1 on the headlight side

Sorry I should've been more specific....your current setup has a pigtail... 1 plug connection coming from the bike and 2 plug connection at the headlight..hi/lo beam
The new led one you would need is the same on the side coming from bike and only 1 on the headlight side
Gotcha. Found it online. Headlight also. Looks like I have an HID kit for sale. May stick it in my silverado. I'm going to pick up the JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2 light probably next week. Pics and full review to come..Since apparently there isn't a thorough review anywhere.

Look around on here, maybe not a thorough review but guys like myself giving their opinion on it.
uploadfromtaptalk1456606461278.jpg
Here's a shot of mine with the custom dynamics bullet ringz turn signals

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77