Hogtunes 4-Channel Amp System Install - beware, long post (1 of 2)

BillyCrash

Sep 5, 2017
Ok, so here's my long-ass Hogtunes system installation story. I'll include my overall experience of Hogtunes and the installation, along with some tips and tricks I learned along the way.

It all started when I decided that I wanted to do a mod to my 2017 SGS where I could have a detachable King Tour Pak along with the speaker pods, so that required getting some kind of 4-channel amp/speaker system. There's obviously lots to choose out there and my initial thought was to stay OEM and go with the Boom stage I. Overall I was looking for a system that would be better than stock, but not cost an arm and a leg and also be relatively plug and play if I was going to install myself. OEM was probably not a self-install since I'd need to flash the system. There's also some very high quality aftermarket amps and speakers out there, but they are generally not plug and play and generally pretty expensive.

I kept coming back to the Hogtunes system as I continued my search, it was mid-level upgrade from all the reviews I read, and also mid-level price. Some reviews I read said Hogtunes was junk, others said it was fine for a mid-level system and support was great. After I found a 4-channel system on ebay for $699 (included the amp, 4 speakers, and all wiring harnesses), with a 15% ebay coupon which took the price to $599 (no tax, no ship), and finding some nice Hogtunes installation videos online, I ended up pulling the trigger on that system. The system was called the Big Ultra Kit, NCA 450 U (for 2014+ Harleys), which seemed to be the best match for my setup, I was basically creating a 4-channel system like on the Ultra, which this kit was designed for (although the instructions included installation options for my SGS + tour pak setup, which helped seal the deal).

Received the kit in about 5 days, and all the contents looked good quality, and with the installation video didn't seem too hard to install. Step 1 ended up being about the hardest part of the install, and almost shut down the project completely, and that was to take off the front speaker pods and replace the speakers. I had never taken off the fairing before, but that actually was very simple and I'm impressed with how Harley has designed it to be so easy to do (much easier than my Victory XCT).

The hard part came when trying to remove the three speaker pod side bolts under the fairing bracket for each pod that are in very difficult to get to locations (the other pod bolts are easy to remove). The videos I found online showed the best way to remove the pod side bolts was to use a socket extension with pivot joint on the end with hex bit, so you could angle the tool into place to remove the bolts. Funny how all the online videos I found on this didn't actually show the bolts being removed, just the before and after with comments about how difficult it was to do. For me it wasn't just difficult, I just couldn't actually do it with that method, tried for a couple of hours and couldn't get it done. Then I went back to the install videos and saw a comment on one in the comments section, which said that one trick if people were having a hard time with those bolts was that instead of the socket extension with pivot head and hex bit, use a 11mm pivot-head box wrench. I found an inexpensive set of pivot head box wrenches on Amazon, and after I received them I tried the 11mm one, and sure enough, I had all the bolts out in about 10 mins. This one tip saved my project from cancellation for sure. I then removed the front speaker pods and installed the hogtunes speakers, then re-installed the pods on the fairing, pretty easy to do.

Next step was to install amp and hook up plug and play connections to front speakers, this was pretty easy with the included amp bracket and molex harness connectors, not much to say here. You can watch the online videos to see which colors to which speaker pods, but it's pretty evident given the length of the wires, so it's hard to get it wrong.

Next step was running the power cable to the battery and speaker cable for the rear speakers. Hogtunes recommends both cables to be run over the gas tank and under the tank cover, which works out pretty well with no major issues, just have to remove the front and back tank cover bolts, loosen the gas cap, and run one cable on each side of the tank cover, not too many issues there. Then connect the power to the battery, not as bad as I thought although you have to move a few wires above the battery, move the ECM out of the way and then detach the battery cover. Overall not too bad, and I think much easier than other installs that recommend removing the tank and running the wires underneath.

Next step was to connect the rear speaker pods to the speaker wire harness. I forgot to mention earlier that I was impressed with the Hogtunes speaker clips, they are designed for locking onto the speaker tabs to prevent coming off from all the riding vibration, bumps, etc, nice design. I also forgot to mention that the Hogtunes speakers look very nice as well, the front speakers have huge magnets, much larger than stock, and the back speakers have smaller magnets but still larger than stock Ultra. However later I would find that they don't sound quite as good as they look, more on that below. So the big issue on the wiring harness with this kit is it's designed for the Ultra, with a big 16-pin molex Y-splice cable intended to splice in between the rear wiring harness on an Ultra, which however doesn't exist on an SGS. The kit also comes with an optional rear speaker harness that connects to the speakers with the nice lock pins, but has a female 4-pin molex connection at the other end. So at this point I'm thinking how do I make this connection to marry the 16-pin molex to the 4-pin molex?

So I then contact Hogtunes support, just to make sure I don't do something stupid with the wiring. I explain my setup to them, and the original response is you can't do that with your SGS, this is an Ultra kit. I explained my setup and that the instructions even speak to this kind of a setup as an option. Their response then was to cut and splice the cables together, and they instructed which were left/right, pos/neg. My thought to that is if I splice it then how am I going to have what the original intent of the upgrade is, to have a plug and play detachable tour pak? So before I started cutting wires (so glad I didn't), I hit the internet again to find ideas. I ended up stumbling across some molex connector videos, and realized that if I purchased a male 4-pin molex, I could simply pull out the proper wires/pins from the 16-pin molex connector, and put them into a purchased 4-pin molex, and I would have my detachable connection. Surprisingly enough, this worked perfectly, no splicing required, just had to learn how to remove/add pins to molex connector.

After all that, and putting the rear speakers in place and connecting them, it was time to test the system and then button down all the wires. Turned on the system and everything worked, sound was pretty good, although not great, I'm a bit of an audiophile and I just wasn't that impressed with the sound, although it was clearly better than stock OEM. And it was about what I expected for a mid-level priced system, although I was hoping for a bit better. I then tied all the cables down, one of the keys is getting the power and rear speaker cables tied close to the center of the bike so they don't hit when you turn the front fairing fully left and right. That accomplished, I put the fairing back on and was ready to take it for a test ride down the road. That's when it got interesting....

See part 2 of 2

Last edited:
part 2 of 2:

That's when it got interesting....

So I'm riding down the road, adjusting bass/treble controls, thinking this sounds pretty good and front balance is pretty good, and then I thought I heard the amp cut out, just for a second. I'm thinking wait, what was that? Maybe just a glitch. Then a few seconds later I hear it again, it cuts out where there is zero sound for just a second and then it's playing again. So what the heck is this, loose connection? What did I do wrong? It keeps cutting out about ever 15-20 seconds on the ride back to the house, this is clearly not acceptable. Once back I take off the fairing again and check and re-do all the connections, then check the connections to the back and battery, everything looks good. I then turn on the system again and shake the bike around while sitting on it, trying to simulate road conditions and make it cut out, nothing happens, sound is fine with no cut out. Doesn't make sense, did I fix it somehow? So I go back out on the road hoping that it's fixed, but it starts cutting out again, about every 10-20 seconds. This road test showed that the system worked fine while it's in accessory mode, but when the motor is running and the bike is going down the road, something was triggering the sound cutting out, very strange.

I then go back to Hogtunes support and explain the issue. He says that the problem is that I tried to set it up as a detachable rear speaker system, and when detached the amp thinks that there is a problem with the rear speakers and is cutting off to protect itself. That seemed weird to me, and I had never seen it mentioned in any of the writeups others had on the similar setup, although with different brand systems. Plus, it was cutting out with and without the rear speakers connected, so that didn't seem like the right diagnosis. At that point it seemed like there was no solution, and I'm thinking I'm just going to have to rip out the Hogtunes system and start over with something else, a very expensive learning experience I guess. However a few days later I get an email from Hogtunes support telling me they think they have a solution, and they want to send me a new model amp (they called it a beta test amp) that has some kind of higher limit to what it takes to get the amp going into protect mode. So I say yes to this since it beats my current plan of trashing the system, and I send back the old amp while the new one is on its way.

The new amp arrives in about a week, and unfortunately for some weird reason the wiring it came with would have required me to totally re-wire my setup including the molex solution that I had previously solved for the back speakers, plus the front speaker connections were not plug and play and would have required me to remove the front speaker pods again to connect them (no way was I wanting to do that again). I went back to Hogtunes support and said I don't want to do this new amp setup with having to rewire everything, but they then realized something was wrong with the shipment and I had been sent the wrong replacement amp, it was the 450 RM amp, similar to my original amp although with different wiring setup. So they had me hold onto that one while they sent me the correct replacement which was the REV 450 RM amp, and it arrived thankfully with all the correct plug and play wiring setup so that I didn't have to rewire all the connections.

With the correct connections on the REV amp, installing it and making the connections was quick and easy, the fairing back on no problem (lots of practice by now), and it's down the road for a new test. The new amp test passes with flying colors, both with and without the rear speakers connected. Finally, done.

Then it's on the the final sound adjustments. My normal audio settings on most amps including the stock Harley boom is maxing out the bass and the treble, kind of like a home stereo or PA system where you take out the mids and boost the lows and highs for a nice overall "scooped" sound. In this case my normal setup sounded horrible, the bass was the issue, and although I don't expect great bass with these bike systems due to the small speakers, I wasn't expecting the bass to sound like someone was pounding on a large cardboard box either. So my impression at that time was that this system really did sound like crap, and that's what I should expect for a mid-level price system. But then I started adjusting the bass down just to see if it would sound better, and surprisingly, when the bass level is set on one "egg" below middle, and the treble set on high, the system sounds pretty darn good! With the volume level of 5 or 6 eggs (out of 20 I think), I can hear the system pretty loud riding down the road at speed (5 for lower speeds, 6 for highway speed), and without much distortion, and that's with a full face helmet on. If I go higher volume than that, distortion increases, but 5 or 6 is plenty loud for me.

Overall, although it was a long ordeal for me to get this system installed and running and setup, I'm happy with the purchase. It's definitely improved sound over stock, not just volume but also clarity and depth of sound, and all at a very reasonable price and fairly easy to install (if you know a few tips/tricks). I'm also very pleased with Hogtunes support.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share my specific experiences and hopefully provide some tips to anyone considering the Hogtunes system or some basics for any brand system upgrade installation to their SGS.

BC

Last edited:
Saw this on another forum, looks to me like it explains my bad-sound bass issue and why the unusual low-bass EQ sounds a lot better to me. I'm considering a flash to resolve this and get back to a better EQ. Also will do some more research on the Biketronics line leverers.

"Here's the deal with the stock Rushmore Infotainment radio:

It uses an approximately 24db bass boost to make the stock speakers sound good (that's subjective ).

When this 24db bass boost is amplified it WILL cause distortion. The better your amp and speakers, the worse the distortion.

You can try and combat the bass boost in 1 of three ways; Digital Signal Processor, Flash (more about Flash in a second), or with a Line Leveler (BT355 or magic box).

Of note on flashes, there are several flashes some of which DO NOT EFFECT THE SIGNAL ie stock SG/RG/SGS/RGS (0 amp, 2 speakers), or stock Ultra (0 amp, 4 speakers). Now, you don't have to have the rear unlocked as you could just split the front signal to the rear but if you want to use the fader option you will need to have a stock Ultra flash (0 amp, 4 speakers) done.

Other flashes include the "Fosgate" flash which is 1 amp 4 speakers and the "Soundzcustomz" flash which is 2 amp 4 speakers but neither of these flashes will let you have fader or much tone control.

The BT Line Leveler is the easiest and cheapest way to squash the signal and with any kind of clean power and good speaker combo you will for sure notice the difference. You will also retain tone control and fader (provided you have the stock Ultra flash).

With the pbr and kappa's, well it might be better but it might not be either."

This is quite a thread. I would like to upgrade my stereo, but don’t quite understand the flashes. So, Moco suppresses these features in different revisions and will “unlock” them’ depending upon how much I’m willing to pay determines what features I get?
It seems to me that I should just upgrade to an aftermarket system and get what I pay for in the first place. With price they charge for these bikes and they can’t give you the best performance that you already own, they just hide it from you.
Next they will put you on a yearly contract that has to be updated each year or they will shut down your radio,lol.

The flash is the only way to go for the best sound. There are DSP units out there now that help with the EQ curves. Check out Soundz as they offer one now.

The flash is the only way to go for the best sound. There are DSP units out there now that help with the EQ curves. Check out Soundz as they offer one now.
Some people say that all the flash does when going from 2 channel system to 4 (like my case), is allow for the boom system fader to be present, and if that's the case then I won't waste my time since the amp's default fade setting sounds good to me. However, if the flash fixes other audio issues including the massive bass EQ boost, then I would definitely do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dual Bag