Iron Butt run.

I did the SaddleSore 1,000 last September with two others. I would advise using rural freeway if possible. We left at 4am & didn't get back until 10:20pm. We went 500 miles one way then turned around and came back the same route. I think that if I was to do it again I would do it in the summer when there would be more daylight. You might look into the BunBurner 1500, it's just another 500 miles but you have another 12 hour to complete it & they do want you to take a rest.
I used Google Maps to calculate the mileage, My odometer said 1,140 miles but my Garmin GPS & Google said 1,085 miles. You don’t want to be short by a few miles. Also when I downloaded the forms from there web site I didn’t find that very friendly. The first time I missed some pages & had to resubmit them. Keep all of your paper work, make copies.
Good luck & have a safe ride

I did it last August.....I left Seal Beach, Ca at 1:00 am and got to Coos Bay, Oregon by 8 pm....it was almost all interstate (I5), getting caught in rush hour traffic in Sacramento was the only hiccup. I left early so I could get to my destination during daylight hours, as I was unfamiliar with the roads and didn't want to run into any wild-life on the highways. Like JMeadows said, keep your gas receipts and make copies, then make more copies. Log your mileage on the form they provide, though I waited until after I was finished. I used a fuel app like GasTracker to log my mileage when I got gas and then transferred that to my mileage log. Helps keep track of my mpg too. Don't drink too much so you don't have to make as many stops, follow the speed limit. Most interstates allow 70-75 mph, which is plenty of speed to do it. I was thinking of doing the BunBurner 1500 but I was meeting some friends in Coos Bay and didn't want to go around riding at night in the forest....lol. Good luck and safe riding....

I've done it and my advice is to DO IT. I'm 62, have been riding for 17 years and it's the most memorable ride I've ever done. I did it in early july, (longest days of the year) 2003. I did it with a close friend who had similar driving style to me. We had Goldwings with CB which is almost cheating, being able to chat with each other while riding was nice. We did it here in Canada. Fredericton, NB to Windsor,ON then went on to log 5,600 km in six days.

Are you referring to the iron butt run around lake MI. I'd be interested in that.

Sent from the mobile leash

1,000 miles in 24 hours, BB. Probably gonna shoot down to Dubuque, over to Sioux City, up to Sioux Falls, back to La Crosse, down to Madison and back home.

Last edited:
Will do. That would make 4 of us. Would not want to go any more. Plan on leaving around 2 or 3am. on a Saturday. You would be close on mileage if you jumped in at Madison. You may have to do a little jockeying around with your end route and receipts. Thinking maybe May. But it could be anytime we want.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469