Is the alarm siren an option?

Sealion

Feb 18, 2018
I took delivery of my SGS on Friday (“used” with 66 miles on it), so I am still learning about the bike. Best I can tell, it does not have the alarm siren. I know the owner’s manual lists the siren as an option, but I know of two 2011 Softails and 2017 Road Glide that came with sirens, so I assumed my bike would have it also.

What is the right answer here? Is the siren an option or standard gear?

It's an option. You can also get a pager but you have to get the siren for the pager to work.

I was surprised to find out too, amount of money we pay for our bikes and don't even include decent alarm system, we have to pay extra for it. Almost every vehicles on the market comes with alarm, I am talking about vehicles prices $15k and up. HD models should be the same, way over priced and they nail you for everything else, I don't know about the rest of you, I seek for aftermarket parts, unless I find a deal of a life time I refused to buy HD parts.

Yes this is one of the things they make money on during or after the sale. I have a peso alarm from radio shack I think we paid 6 dollars for it. Easy install and somewhere on this forum is a thread with instructions. Use the search feature in the upper right corner to find it.

Thanks all for the clarification.

When I bought my last bike, it was five years old (and my first bike), so my expectations were different. One theme I read often in this forum is the “This should be a standard item” idea. I get that now and I am on board.

I was less concerned about the security of my ’05 Road King than I am about the SGS, which is why I asked the question in the first place.

Having said all that, what are the thoughts on having a siren? Worthwhile or too much of a pain? (JokerToker’s vote noted!)

I think alarm is a must have on our bikes, at least it'll deter someone from trying to take something off your bike or steal the whole bike. There are those that look for easy target and I rather be the one they feel not worth jail time and move to the next bike that is easier to steal for their drugs.

This is easy- I posted a tip/trick how to on this a couple of years back. Don't spend $100 for the Harley alarm. This is only a few bucks and easy to install.

It takes less than 30 seconds to disconnect a battery. How loud is that alarm then?... and will it allow you to be paged? Not a very worthwhile comparison. Yeah, it's cheap & loud, but if I was in the business of stealing bikes, the first thing I'd do is to eliminate the bike's power. Simple & effective, except against H-D's siren, which is battery backed-up.

It takes less than 30 seconds to disconnect a battery. How loud is that alarm then?... and will it allow you to be paged? Not a very worthwhile comparison. Yeah, it's cheap & loud, but if I was in the business of stealing bikes, the first thing I'd do is to eliminate the bike's power. Simple & effective, except against H-D's siren, which is battery backed-up.

We all know that FurryOne. Anything can be stolen if they want it bad enough. This is a very inexpensive way to get both siren and chirp. There is no battery backup, there is no page system. Its a simple alternative solution.

We all know that FurryOne. Anything can be stolen if they want it bad enough. This is a very inexpensive way to get both siren and chirp. There is no battery backup, there is no page system. Its a simple alternative solution.

Well, if it makes you sleep better, I guess it's worth the price. :rolleyes:

I’ve gotta say, I’m with Furry on this one. The HD siren is something like 90 bucks - and another 65 or so for the pager receiver.
Made sense and was worth it for me.

Anyone have the part number for the HD pager siren setup, what’s the distance of the pager??

For ‘14 and later Touring the big book says - it’s 68328-06A lists for 94.95
The pager receiver is 91660-06 ($74.95) the book says 1/2 mile max range.
There’s also a rechargeable receiver for 89.95
Both say they can be linked to the security system with no additional installation.
I’ve already added the siren and am planning to pick up a Receiver

Nice, yea mines a 2014 SG my signature has gone away on this forum for some reason. Thanks a little pricey but would give more peace of mind while bikes sitting at a parking lot rally’s like Daytona I’ll look into this. The siren mojo put up could be wired in with a tilt sensor and external battery. I like the pager idea if it works from that far away.

I’ve had good luck ordering from board tracker Harley - they’ve currently got the siren listed at $78 and the pager at $62. My dealer will match his pricing so I usually try to buy from him - but they add tax so it still costs a little more locally.

Last edited:
I've used Board Tracker myself. Good prices if you spend enough to eliminate the shipping charge!!

One thing about the pager - it uses a CR2450 battery - the same one some welding helmets use. I've seen some places charging as much as $7 each. I usually buy a bunch from Battery Junction where Duracell brand runs $1.45 or less, depending on quantity. Even with shipping, if you buy a half dozen they come out cheaper than many stores. And if you get a few people together and buy the CR2450's & CR2032's (for the FOBs) you can reach the $50 point and get free shipping.

I buy my CR 2032's and 2450 at the dollar store, 2 come in the pack for $1.06 with tax. They last at least a year which is when I change them anyway. In my garage door openers they go almost two years before they get weak. Keep the second one on the bike if you feel the need.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clive Miller