Jim’s 5518

t8ness

Aug 25, 2015
Don’t know who has this tool, but it’s worth every bit of the $90. Switched out the shifter shaft bushings in about 10 minutes. That rattle is completely gone. Old bushings were chewed up. I added a third and greased the inside of the bushings too.
ebb077932edc30578154d223cb088dc8.jpg

6a33f118924f519597420548f4a55c76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of interest, with new bushes installed, is there any lateral movement on the shifter shaft? I've 25,000 miles on mine and there's a slight 'wiggle' when pulled fore and aft, maybe five thou, but never having felt a new set up, I'm not sure if it's worth replacing the bushes yet.

Jim’s 5518

Out of interest, with new bushes installed, is there any lateral movement on the shifter shaft? I've 25,000 miles on mine and there's a slight 'wiggle' when pulled fore and aft, maybe five thou, but never having felt a new set up, I'm not sure if it's worth replacing the bushes yet.

I don’t have much movement at all in the shifting parts, if yours has a little more play, you may have to loosen the pinch screws and squeeze the play out and re-torque the screws...and check out the bushings. HD says they normally change em out at 20k miles

Check out video after install of bushings

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0F19S2NJxOZ82Q-DvSCESF8Aw#Highgrove

Last edited:
Excellent. Thank you, bushes on order.

If you use three bushings, put the third one in first and place in the middle. Then put the front and rear one in...put a lil grease on the inside of the bushings too

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith