Key West Trip

1Grumpyguy

Sep 8, 2014
Our annual two-wheel sabbatical is in the planning stages. This year it's Key West, Daytona, Everglades National Park. Has anyone been? I would be interested to hear about bike friendly motels ( cheap... But clean) also, any must see sights or great eating establishments. This trip is a little out of the norm for us... As we tend to go to lesser know destinations. Any suggestions would be welcome!
That is all!
Chuck

You think those Florida guys would be burning this up bragging about their state by now ???

Was in Key West app 2yrs ago. Didn't take the bike but did a Catamaran Cruise from Ft. Myers. What I found was tons of people and not a lot outside of Duval st. Duval St runs East & west gulf side to Atlantic Ocean side with tons of shops & Bars. We found getting around on scooters & bicycles worked best due to the crowds. In case you all don't know. Nov( beginning of month) is Jimmy Buffet week. (Parrot head fest) A nightmare as far as I am concerned. We didn't know that until we arrived. If you plan your trip around "Biketoberfest" Fantasy fest runs the week after and to say it gets nuts is an understatement. The ride over the bridges to get to the Keys was nice if you like water for miles & miles. You might like hitting the other keys if your all Biking down there. Some scenic places in Key West. Overall I'd go back maybe this year but not around Bike events (Daytona) or Jimmy Buffet week in Nov. Hotels can be moderately costly depending where you stay. Best advice, do a lot of online research first to get an idea of places for lodging & costs overall. It is a cool place if you haven't been there before.

Anybody heard from wildchld lately I bet he would have some good information???? Been missing for a while now wondering how he's doing

Thanks for the info... To be honest I'm looking forward to the Everglades part the most... It looks like the ride down US 1 (I think it's 1) will be cool ! I heard from a guy that Key Largo was good also . I'm more of a riding guy than a sit and party guy , so I don't know how well I'll like Key West. Our plan is to ride to daytona the first day and spend the night there... Then head to the Keys in the A.M. Not sure if we'll hit the glades on the way back or on the way there. That depends on our motel arrangement. Thinking about the "El Patio motel in Key West. Reasonable @ $135 a night.

I went down and rode the perimeter of Florida by my self last fall. I was going to go to Key West but heard that the Fantasy Fest thing was going on. I heard it was chaos so I decided not to go down there on that trip. Make sure you stop by the Daytona Harley Davidson dealership in Daytona on I95. The receptionist said they had the biggest dealership in the world. I believe it the store is fricking huge. Next door is a huge J&P cycle showroom, that is cool too. I went on down past Sebastion and headed inland a bit and rode by Lake Okeechobee. Then on down to the original Alligator Alley on hwy 41 and rode it to Naples. Very nice ride. Then up the West Coast over the Sunshine Skyway bridge through Tampa to Homasassa FL. You should try and stop in Homasassa and visit The Shed resteraunt and bar. A biker place that also has a very cool lodge adjacent to the bar that is a great place to spend the night. It took me 5 days for my round trip. I live 35 miles southwest of Atlanta. It was an awesome trip. Enjoy!

We have done the Daytona to Key West a few times on bikes. Took our time and stopped to eat a few times.
Last trip down we took 10 hrs. 7.5 to 8 hrs. if you gas and go. When you get to the Keys drive the posted speed limit.

I just did this trip this past October. The ride from Daytona to the Keys via turnpike was boring. The ride through the keys was really nice. Gorgeous blue water. Here are a few tips:

*A friend of mine highly recommended get yourself a good pair of polarized glasses. It helps with the glare of the water and really makes it pop.

*Gas is cheaper at the top of the Keys versus Key West.

*ABSOLUTELY STOP AND EAT AT Mrs Macs Kitchen. They had the best Key Lime and again was another recommendation from a friend who has made over 2 dozen trips to the Keys.
http://www.mrsmacskitchen.com/

Key West places to visit:

* If history is your thing definitely visit Ernest Hemingway's Estate and Harry Truman's Little White House.

* Sloppy Joes for a relaxed atmosphere to enjoy some lunch and entertainment. I highly suggest the nachos topped in sloppy joe since this is where this dish originated. You can't stop eating it is so good!

*Sunset at Mallory Square is a must. Just gorgeous and allot of live entertainment to be had.

* We stayed at the Merlin House one street from Duvall . They are apart of a group of historic inns. http://www.historickeywestinns.com/the-inns/

* If you love dessert a definite stop is the Better than Sex - A Key West Dessert restaurant. http://www.betterthansexkeywest.com/

* Great breakfast place to see the sunrise is at http://www.southernmostbeachcafe.com/

If you want more information please let me know.

Thanks for the great info greywolf...I didn't even find half that stuff on my internet search before you posted. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate for us. Do know anything about concealed carry in the Everglades? It looks like I can carry...Wasn't sure if they have any areas posted as no concealed areas except the obvious ranger stations and info centers. Thanks for your help!

I just did this trip this past October. The ride from Daytona to the Keys via turnpike was boring. The ride through the keys was really nice. Gorgeous blue water. Here are a few tips:

*A friend of mine highly recommended get yourself a good pair of polarized glasses. It helps with the glare of the water and really makes it pop.

*Gas is cheaper at the top of the Keys versus Key West.

*ABSOLUTELY STOP AND EAT AT Mrs Macs Kitchen. They had the best Key Lime and again was another recommendation from a friend who has made over 2 dozen trips to the Keys.
http://www.mrsmacskitchen.com/

Key West places to visit:

* If history is your thing definitely visit Ernest Hemingway's Estate and Harry Truman's Little White House.

* Sloppy Joes for a relaxed atmosphere to enjoy some lunch and entertainment. I highly suggest the nachos topped in sloppy joe since this is where this dish originated. You can't stop eating it is so good!

*Sunset at Mallory Square is a must. Just gorgeous and allot of live entertainment to be had.

* We stayed at the Merlin House one street from Duvall . They are apart of a group of historic inns. http://www.historickeywestinns.com/the-inns/

* If you love dessert a definite stop is the Better than Sex - A Key West Dessert restaurant. http://www.betterthansexkeywest.com/

* Great breakfast place to see the sunrise is at http://www.southernmostbeachcafe.com/

If you want more information please let me know.

And just in case you want to get naked and sun your junk, with a beer of course. Check out The Garden of Eden, clothing optional bar on Duval St.

What he said, "somtron" hehe.
We went down there couple of years ago at spring break with the kids. Hehe the kids got an eye full we went down main one night.

OK, I'll throw in on this too. I didn't construct this entire list, but can vouch for 99% of it. From a co-worker who never misses Fantasy Fest. and yea, I've seen all the pictures. hey, if that's your thing, then who am I to judge. Anyway, here's a good list of places to check out in KW:

Visit Mallory Square at sunset for a festive experience & bring a drink

Eat in the outdoor garden of Pepe's on Caroline St., where the locals go; they have great steaks and every Thursday they do a Thanksgiving meal

For an expensive ($100+ per), but top notch dining go to Latitudes on Sunset Key. Reservations and Water Taxi ride required.

For a relaxing lunch on the water try the Sunset Pier next door to the Ocean Keys Resort for smoked fish and wonderful peel & eat Gulf Shrimp; their actual address is: “Zero Duval Street”.

Another great place to have lunch or dinner is the Conch Republic Seafood Company, which is located right in the Key West Marina affording you a great view; their hamburgers (and other menu items) are great

Don't forget a slice of Key Lime pie at many different locations; the ones served at Turtle Kraals is made with tequila; there is also a couple of places that sell frozen ones on a stick, covered with chocolate

Only go to the Garden of Eden on the top of the Whistle Bar on the corner of Caroline and Duval Streets if you enjoy "unusual adventures". This is an open air bar 3 floors up on the rooftop where the guests are encouraged to go sans clothes (you have been warned!)

Actress Kelly McGillis has a Caribbean Bar/Grill & Brewery called Kelly's, what else?! It is on Caroline and Whitehead.
For very authentic Cuban fare try el Meson de Pepe which is near Mallory Square

For a more upscale lunch (or dinner) Louie's Backyard is another fine dining experience and Jimmy Buffett tells you in one of his songs that it is a great place to go for a Bloody Mary. A lunch on their actual back porch will cost a couple around $70.00 with 1 drink each and a shared desert of Key Lime pie.

Grab a beer with the herd at Hog’s Breath Saloon and remember that “Hog’s Breath is better than no breath at all”

Duval Street is where most things are happening; pick-up the Conch Train tour at the “bottom” of Duval....it is a worthwhile introduction of Key West

Check out the 801 Bar at that same address on Duval Street. Don’t blame me, I was drunk.

Cheeseburger in paradise at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville.

Irish Kevin’s next to Sloppy Joe's for a really fun audience sing along as well as audience participation.

Take a tour of the Hemingway House and the nearby Light House. Worthwhile, and then you can say that you got some "culture" while in Key West.

You can also tour President Truman's summer White House on Whitehead Street, which is a block off of Duval and is very interesting history.

Mel Fisher's museum. Neat artifacts from that famous Spanish Ship wreck.

Buy some cheap, but well-made sandals at Kino Sandals, 107 Fitzpatrick Street (this is actually in an alley) & they make the sandals right there.

Dining on Bagatelle's front porch is fun as you watch the people go by. This is probably the most convenient location to where the Cruise Ships dock. Better yet, skip it if a cruise ship is just pulling up, else risk getting run down by exiting passengers.

Try the Turtle Kraals restaurant and the Eat Em Raw Bar for a place to eat some Stone Crabs and drink beer or wine.

A new place that we discovered in 2013 was the Banana Café where breakfast (as well as lunch) is served until 3 PM and their specialty is Crepes; they are located on Duval St on the Atlantic Ocean side across from the Butterfly Conservatory and near the Southern most point buoy.

Great steaks can be had at the Commodore Steak House and right next door is the A&B Lobster house; both on the marina.

The Blue Heaven restaurant, even with the chickens walking in and out of the tables, is a very highly rated eating establishment. Get there for Breakfast and try one of their many varieties of Eggs Benedict.

A very enjoyable way to end your stay in Key West is to go on a sunset cruise on the 2-masted schooner known as the Western Union or the Jolly Rover with its red sails. It will cost between $40-55 per person but it sometimes includes drinks, food and entertainment for 2 hours.

I'm headed down first week in March, stopping in Daytona on the way back up. Catch you down the road!

Well... We leave on Friday for our Key West run.
We stop in Daytona for 2 days then move on to the keys work our way back to Everglades For 2 days (looking forward to airboat ride) then back up the coast to Wilmington NC (home) Thanks to all who gave advise... I'll post pics as soon as I recover!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469