Key West Trip

Not sure how I missed this one. As stated earlier, if you went during Fantasy Fest it's insane there, the population about triples and getting around is a real pain, plus hotels really gouge on prices. Right now things should be reasonable.

Be extra careful riding 95 south, they are absolutely crazy on that road especially once you get farther south around West Palm and into Miami. Picture 3rd world drivers playing Nascar with blindfolds on. Once you get South of Homestead it's much better, the drive on 1 through the Keys is really nice with plenty of places to stop, I would suggest Islamorada or Marathon for lunch. Have the camera handy once you get on 1.

I live on the West coast and have ridden down a couple times. I would recommend seeing the Hemingway house and Truman White house while you are there. I took a client down there and that's what he wanted to see, I figured it would be boring but both tours were very good and quite interesting. We also did the lighthouse tour (self guided). Buy tickets as a package at the Truman White house and you'll save a few bucks. Duval street is where everyone goes and pretty much the center of attraction, party central. Parking is at a premium, if you are staying close I suggest walking.

They have changed the southernmost point, you can no longer ride your bike next to it for a cool picture, walk up only now.

Concealed carry, keep it concealed and you won't have any issues. Once you are in the Keys watch your speed, cops are friendly for the most part but it generates revenue. In Key West there's usually plenty of police presence, as long as you aren't being stupid they are fairly tolerant. DON'T get caught with it in the bars.

In the evening go down by Mallory square as suggested for the sunset, I stayed at the Westin and the view is great. There's an outdoor eating area, food is decent, nothing special. Stay AWAY from the restaurant at Ocean Key resort, food there absolutely sucked. Better yet book a sunset cruise, plenty of them including ones that serve dinner and drinks, there's even an old PT boat you can get a cruise on. If you want a nice dinner with the Mrs. one night go to Michaels on Margaret St. the food was excellent there.

I can't tell you anything about your hotel, haven't stayed there. If you don't like the place there should be plenty of choices as the snowbirds are leaving.

If you come back up I-75 instead of 95 let me know, if I'm not gone on business I'll meet you guys for lunch, Sarasota area has some pretty nice places.

Thanks for the info... Sites like this one are valuable tools when planning a trip. I'll look you up if we go back your way.

I used to go diving in the Keys a good bit. On one trip we gathered by a lagoon to watch the sunset. Many people were there, and one grizzled looking guy was throwing large rocks into a wooden sailboat anchored in the lagoon. We asked him what he was doing and he pointed to the sign on the boat: “Keep Off! This boat is evidence in an official investigation.” The dude explained that the boat was seized because his buddy was smuggling marijuana in it. The dude figured if he could put enough rocks in the boat, it would sink and there would be no evidence. With that, everyone started throwing large rocks into the boat. LOL

This is only part of the atmosphere of the Keys. Have fun!

Last edited:
I
I used to go diving in the Keys a good bit. On one trip we gathered by a lagoon to watch the sunset. Many people were there, and one grizzled looking guy was throwing large rocks into a wooden sailboat anchored in the lagoon. We asked him what he was doing and he pointed to the sign on the boat: “Keep Off! This boat is evidence in an official investigation.” The dude explained that the boat was seized because his buddy was smuggling marijuana in it. The dude figured if he could put enough rocks in the boat, it would sink and there would be no evidence. With that, everyone started throwing large rocks into the boat. LOL

This is only part of the atmosphere of the Keys. Have fun!

HaHa! Good story Bones!
Just a Waistin' Away in Margaritaville

One of my favorite Buffet songs has this line:

"I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
So let the winds of change blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead"

One of my favorite Buffet songs has this line:

"I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
So let the winds of change blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead"

Good Quote Bones!

You must be a Parrott Head:cool:

Last edited:
At one time I had every Buffet album. They had been played once, then my favorite songs were played once more to make cassettes. When I got divorced my soon to be X changed the locks on the house, and would not give me my albums. I left Florida, moved to the woods in Georgia and quit listening to Buffet. Since reading this post, I am playing Buffet songs on YouTube.....it's very familiar music and I am enjoying it once more. Funny how music can bring back memories. I spent damn near 49 years in Florida before moving to Georgia in 1996. In my opinion Florida has been ruined.....too damn many people. I remember barn fires on the beach and all the freedom that went with that time in my life. All that is gone. Too many people and too many laws. But, it is a fun place to visit and I'm sure it will be enjoyed by all who go there.

At one time I had every Buffet album. They had been played once, then my favorite songs were played once more to make cassettes. When I got divorced my soon to be X changed the locks on the house, and would not give me my albums. I left Florida, moved to the woods in Georgia and quit listening to Buffet. Since reading this post, I am playing Buffet songs on YouTube.....it's very familiar music and I am enjoying it once more. Funny how music can bring back memories. I spent damn near 49 years in Florida before moving to Georgia in 1996. In my opinion Florida has been ruined.....too damn many people. I remember barn fires on the beach and all the freedom that went with that time in my life. All that is gone. Too many people and too many laws. But, it is a fun place to visit and I'm sure it will be enjoyed by all who go there.

Bones,
I am an avid reader and I love the author Carl Hiassen who comedically writes about the industrialization and ruination of Florida. Like you I have an EX! My condolences brother man

Now why do I think Skink might be related to you? !

I take that as a compliment....haaha Thanks for a good belly laugh.

I am not familiar with Elmore Leonard. I wil check him out. I also like Clive Cussler's Oregon Series. There are so many good writers and so little time. I have turned in my resignation from work and my last day is June 4. I am going to try to see how cheap I can live and retire. Maybe I can do more reading and riding.

Well... Leaving tomorrow morning as soon as I get out of work. Bike is packed & waiting in the parking lot. Clock out and go! We'll pick up another brother in Daytona. I'll be thinking of Y'all!

Hey 1Grumpyguy.......have a great time. Take pictures and post 'em when you can.
While in Key West, go to Captain Tony's and have a cold beer for me. I have fond memories from that bar.

Well... Leaving tomorrow morning as soon as I get out of work. Bike is packed & waiting in the parking lot. Clock out and go! We'll pick up another brother in Daytona. I'll be thinking of Y'all!

Ride safe and post pics ! !

We rode a long way for this one!2. Drag previously uploaded files into this area to attach them.

image.jpg
74.5 KB

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
Congratulations!!!! Now go drink that beer for me at Captain Tony's.

If anyone makes another trip to the keys I would recommend Alabama Jacks in Key Largo, best Conch Fritters in the keys hands down! You have to cross the toll bridge to get there if you are heading South.

1GRumpyguy I will be spending some time in FLA this year and plan to do a trip to the Keys. Last time I was there was 30 years ago, just me and the boys 2 weeks starting at Daytona FireCracker 400 and ended up in Key West.

Anyway this time it's me and the wife, so any info you are willing to provide, routes, hotels, eats/drinks I would be all ears. Thanks

Trying to reason with hurricane season.... Says it all for me.. An old standby when life gets bitchy... I'm lucky.. When **** gets bad I can hop south on A1A throw on some Buffet and get my head straight in no time...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jimmy Buffet A1A.png

At one time I had every Jimmy Buffet album recorded, but when the divorce came around my wife refused to let me in the house to get them. But it didn't matter, because I had recorded my favorites on tape. I lived in Florida about 50 years and lived in St. Augustine for 13 years. A1A was always relaxing. And Daytona was soooo convenient. I've seen Buffet in concert and spent lots of time in the Keys diving and partying. But, it all got too damn crowded for me and now I relax in the woods....and still listen to Buffet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469