Klock Werks at Highway Speeds

Tom O.

Jun 15, 2014
I think I have narrowed my search down to the Klock Werks 8.5" shield. I am planning a trip from SC to TX in a few months. Most if not all of the trip will be on the highway.

For those of you that have them or have experience with the KW 8.5. How does it do on the highway at speeds of 80-85 mph? I just want to make sure that it remains stable and does not cause any issues at higher speeds.

All feedback is appreciated.

I used a Klock Werks 8.5 for about 4 years and had no issues with it. Worked well at speed. I switched to the 6.5" after changing my seat because the sitting position was lower. Both worked very well even seemed better at speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! That was my only real concern was how it acts at speed. I wish I could find an 8.5 locally that I could mock up on my bike. I want enough to give me some relief but not too much, if that makes sense. I am 6'2'' and while I don't right sitting straight up I don't slouch a ton either.

Thanks for the input!! I think I will go with the 8.5 just to be safe. I kept thinking it's going to be too big and look ridiculous, but after looking at how tall 8.5" actually is I am not worried about it anymore. Again, thanks for all the replies!

Last edited:
Just wanted to come back and reply to this again.

Got the 8.5" shield on and its a major improvement over stock. Much less wind in the face and I can actually hear my speakers now. Ran a steady 85mph down I95 yesterday and no issues whatsoever. I highly recommend this to anyone that is considering it.

IMG_20150316_130019.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Tom O, It is amazing how big of a difference these things make!

So years ago I had the 8.5 and couldn't see over it. I am 68 inches on a good day. Well last week while in Daytona I purchased the 6.5 cause the ride down to key West kicked my but with all the buffering. Well the last 450 miles home Sunday was sooooooo much better with new windshield. Now I'm a believer in Klockwerks

So years ago I had the 8.5 and couldn't see over it. I am 68 inches on a good day. Well last week while in Daytona I purchased the 6.5 cause the ride down to key West kicked my but with all the buffering. Well the last 450 miles home Sunday was sooooooo much better with new windshield. Now I'm a believer in Klockwerks

Yeah my first experience with the stock SG windscreen was on a Las Vegas rental. i literally could not keep my sunglasses on for the buffeting.

Thanks Tom O, It is amazing how big of a difference these things make!

While in Daytona last week I bought the 6.5" Klock Werks Flare for my SGS. The 600+ mile ride home confirmed a good choice. As you lean left or right to check your mirrors to change lanes, I hardly noticed any additional wind or buffeting. At 5' 10" tall, I was amazed no bugs hit my helmet's face shield. Now the faring and windshield had plenty. As others have indicated, the audio does come through better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had KW Flare on the last 2 bikes, you do not want to look through it....make sure you can easily see over it, otherwise it's like a fun house effect due to the curves. I like mine on the highway, rode 2500 mile round trip to daytona with mine a few days ago, didn't get any bugs in the face but did get a few rocks...it's not a good shield for serious touring, but it's a great compramise. I hate tall shields, they look terrible...and I like the stock shield but it doesn't work at all...will the kw make the bike more stable, probably, less stable naw you should be able to tell the difference. will you like it, depends on the level of protection you expect. they look sweet

For even MORE "anti-buffeting" try the fork lowers, dey ugly but dey werk ! :)

Tried the KW 8.5. Not a better shield for me compared to the Cee Bailey 10.5" or 6.5 or 10" Harley. Clear view was similar to the Cee Bailey. Buffeting was more with the KW, especially notice by passenger. I know it's a different depending on the persons height. I'm 6'1" with 32" inseam. Also for what it's worth, my bike felt more squirrely on the freeway with the grooves and imperfections with the KW installed. Not knocking any product, just trying to give the end user a honest heads up.

Try The Cee Bailey. KW 8.5 does not work as well for our height. I have invested a few bucks trying different shields and so far, CB 10.5" has work the best. Your not going to eliminate the buffeting, but up to 80-85 it seems to work the best. Good luck

I'm in the market for a new windshield. They seem to be like exhausts and seats.....ask 10 people their opinion and you get 10 different ones. That's the beauty of customizing our bikes, we can do what works best for us. But I am looking for some insight from the forum. I think I only need 2 additional inches to rid the buffeting at highway speeds. The klockwerks look a little too funky for me. I'm thinking about the Cee Baileys 7 inch windshield. Their website shows 2 different models..the standard and the reverse curve. Does anyone have one of these, tested them perhaps?? Is there a noticeable difference? Have any photos?? I'm especially interested in anyone that has a 14/15 SG and how that windshield works with the batwing vent.

I have a 6" windvest and it works great for me, I do also have fork fangs. I am 5'10"ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427412238.381784.jpg

Thanks for the input!! I think I will go with the 8.5 just to be safe. I kept thinking it's going to be too big and look ridiculous, but after looking at how tall 8.5" actually is I am not worried about it anymore. Again, thanks for all the replies!
I think it looks just fine.IMG_2099.jpg

I just ordered a 17" ClearViewShield. That is a medium size and equals the 8.5" KlockWerks size. Used the discount code from this forum and got 10% off. I mailed back and forth several times and came to the conclusion that ClearViewShields really Rock!! After explaining my concern about the vibration of the 1/8" ClearViewShield being thinner than the stock-so-low-shield which seems to be 3/16" thick. Andy from customer service ClearViewShields told me he will manufacture a 3/16" 17" recured top dark smoked for me specially. Isn't that awesome? At no extra cost!! Wow man, that is really great!! Happy that I took Mojo's trail... ;) to ClearViewShields. Will have a darksmoke shield, no vibration and no buffeting. Can't wait to get it installed. Must wait 15-20 days before international shipment, But It 'll be worth waiting for.

Having the vibrations with my lower fairings, made me go for ClearViewShields

Hello folks,

I´m from Brazil and I have a 2013 SG. I´m looking for a windshield and after a long search in this amazing forum I narrowed my choices to KW windshield.
As I´m traveling to USA in May I will buy the Windshield however I don´t have a chance to make a test ride, I need to choose the correct one.

I´m 5´11" tall and have a doubt between the 6´5" and the 8´5" windshield. I don´t have a problem with the wind but in high speeds (Above 60 - 65MPH) the head start to shake and the vibration in my head create a distortion in the mirrors, you know, did you got what I mean? lol

What I would like to eliminate is this shake/vibration in the head in high speeds...

I rode a Fat Bob before the SG and despite the strong wind in my head it didn´t shake. The batwing + low windshield in the SG causes a wind turbulence straight in my head...

I´m looking forward to hear your opinions about which KW size will fits better to eliminate this vibration the 6´5" or the 8´5"...

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469