LED Headlight - Radio Static Filter

HarleyAl

May 9, 2016
I recently installed the Custom Dynamics TrueBeam 7" Headlight on my '16 SGS. I immediately had static on the AM/FM radio, but not on the XM Radio. No radio static when on Accessory Mode (no lights). I removed the light and the static was instantly gone.
I contacted Custom Dynamics and they seemed confused by it. I talked to the HD dealer and they suggested the Headwinds Static Filter:

http://www.headwinds.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=8-9030RS&Category_Code=

Has anyone used this filter? Have you had success?
Has anyone had this with the CD headlight and changed to the Harley Daymaker light? I was wondering if that would help? I know the extra $150 will hurt, but if it eliminates the static, it would be worth it.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

I know the extra $150 will hurt, but if it eliminates the static, it would be worth it.

Sorry, am I missing something, the link says $34.95 ? I just put on a JW Speaker and noticed a bit of static, and didn't make the connection. $35 seems worth it if it works. I'll let you tell me if so...:)

Sorry, am I missing something, the link says $34.95 ? I just put on a JW Speaker and noticed a bit of static, and didn't make the connection. $35 seems worth it if it works. I'll let you tell me if so...:)

You're not missing anything, the filter is $34.95. If it works, I will be happy, I'm just a little skeptical that it will work. There seems to be only one company that makes a filter and I was wondering if anyone has had positive results since all the other posts on the forum do not have a resolution.

I have ordered the filter and hope to have it by the end of the week. If not, I may have to return the light for the HD Daymaker. I will post my results.

Do you have the stock antenna or the HD hidden inner fairing?

I have the stock rear fender antenna.

I put in a ticket with Custom Dynamics this morning and they are sending a noise filter. I do not know if it is the same as the Headwinds filter, but hopefully one of them works. It is good to see that CD is willing to help. The initial person I spoke to at CD had never heard of the issue.

Following this situation...... I have the hidden fairing antenna and the day maker with no static noise in that but I do have some 7" 36watt LED light bars mounted in my engine crash bar that are tied into my hi beam and I do get static from those when the high beams are on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the LEDs that aren't shielded well will cause interference with the radio. It is really noticeable when the station comes in weak. When it's a strong signal it seems to not have static. I have the eagle lites 8700 gen 2 and I bought the headwinds static filter....it didn't help one bit.

When I turn the ignition switch over to accessory position the static is totally gone since the head light is off.

It's really frustrating at first but I noticed that I mostly listen to music saved on my USB or Bluetooth on my phone.

***For what it's worth I've read many comments that state HD LED lights don't cause interference. I thought I would save and pay $175 as apposed to paying the Harley price. In this case, you might get what you paid for.

I wouldn't know if I have static or not. NEVER would I listen to radio on a Harley!!!! :cool:

LED Headlight - Radio Static Filter

I just installed a Hogworkz light. I haven't ridden with it yet so I can't comment on actual results but their literature actually states that it will not cause radio static.

Sounds like another thread needs to be started about "things you would never do on a Harley...." ha

I hav custom dynamics led turn signals & when the reception is poor on FM I can hear the signal blinking ( static) sometimes. But I rarely listen to radio.

Custom Dynamics ALL the way around including halo headlight and Plasma rods. Zero static

For what it's worth I had the HogWorkz Halo LED head light installed on my 2012 SG FLHX and I have no static at all on the radio. I'm going to install the Custom Dynamic LED's on the front and rear running/directional lights this weekend. I'll let you know if my radio receives any static.

For what it's worth I had the HogWorkz Halo LED head light installed on my 2012 SG FLHX and I have no static at all on the radio. I'm going to install the Custom Dynamic LED's on the front and rear running/directional lights this weekend. I'll let you know if my radio receives any static.

You shouldn't have any issues as it seems some of the aftermarket headlights and headlight bulbs were causing the problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469