LED Headlight Upgrade

09 Softail C

Jan 8, 2017
Interested in upgrading my 17' SGS headlight. Only considering Kuryakyn 7" Orbit or the Custom Dynamics 7" Truebeam. Anyone have expierence with either or done a side by side comparison? From their specifications they seem to perform very similar but there is a big difference in price. $249.00 vs $439.00. I spoke with JP Cycles yesterday, they had not heard of radio interference issues with the Custom Dynamics Truebeam.

I dumped my Daymaker for the Custom Dynamic unit with the Halo ring. Very pleased with it. Sold the Daymaker to a buddy for $150.

I had the Custom Dynamics, but it interfered with the radio (mostly AM....I know, who listens to AM?!). I put the filter on it and it still buzzed. Now have the Hogworkz Halomaker and it is great. $255 (Dennis Kirk) and no filter needed.

I have the CD true beam on my 18 sgs and no problems with radio reception,GREAT light

Like Mojo I’ve got the Custom Dynamics with the Halo. I like it a lot and have no static issues with FM, Phone or USB Tunes. I have no idea if it affects AM

More importantly I love the lllumination you get with the LED

I had the Custom Dynamics, but it interfered with the radio (mostly AM....I know, who listens to AM?!). I put the filter on it and it still buzzed. Now have the Hogworkz Halomaker and it is great. $255 (Dennis Kirk) and no filter needed.
Sorry to hijack but what filter did you have? My eagle lights headlight has killed my radio reception. I was going to try a ferrite bead and some home brew shielding (wire mesh)

Custom dynamics likely makes their product. Who makes kuryakyn?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sorry to hijack but what filter did you have? My eagle lights headlight has killed my radio reception. I was going to try a ferrite bead and some home brew shielding (wire mesh)

Custom dynamics likely makes their product. Who makes kuryakyn?

I tried two different Custom Dynamics filters (one stock, and one custom built by CD for me). I also tried a Headwinds brand filter. They all helped, but none solved the problem. I even tried using two filters at the same time.

Here is another one that I just found online:
https://www.jpcycles.com/search/search?Ntt=h4+filter&N=28012733&Ntk=All

Good luck!

Thanks for the link. I will try it but it's not what I expected. I suspect the noise is from the switching controller in the light. Most LEDs don't just draw a resistive load like incandescent bulbs but have a controller that switches the power on and off. You can even hear it in some lights (my streamlight strion whines at different pitches depending on the setting). Ferrite beads on the antenna and/or light harness may help but my goal I think is to shield the antenna wire from EMI through the fairing and maybe even under the tank to shield against interference from the plug wires.

attachment.php

Custom Dynamics Halo

Attachments

• CusDynamHalo.jpg
    CusDynamHalo.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
Hey, just got a rock or something thrown into my headlight and cracked it from top to bottom. The light still works but I'm sure if I get caught in the rain it will get water in it so I'm looking at a new light. The one I found is HogWorkz 7″ LED Blackout HaloMaker Headlight Kit. Does anyone have one of these or know anything about them? It is supposed to be an easy swap and is not supposed to interfere with the radio and is considerably cheaper than the OEM replacement. Any help is appreciated. Oh it's a 18 Street Glide Special.

I have the Chrome version of the 7" HogWorkz Halomaker for my '16 SGS. Love the light.....10 minute install.
I have tried the Custom Dynamics and the HD Daymaker......HogWorkz has my vote.

I've just fitted JW Speakers Adaptive 2. Pricey, but chalk and cheese compared with the abysmal stock unit on my 2015 SGS

Been using the JW Speaker E2 for 4 years now and would only upgrade to the adaptive now. The price is higher but life time warranty is worth it. And if you haven't read it in here already they make the daymaker for Harley.

I looked all the LED headlights and decided I would just try changing to LED bulbs and boy do they look great and way less expensive. Also installed the Ciro LED Fang turn signals front and rear with the Custom Dynamics De-modulator absolutely love them. Looking at the Fang headlight trim and rear fender light next.

I got and installed that EMI filter mentioned earlier, and....it works! Nearly destroyed the make end of my h4 connector unplugging the headlight but now that it's installed, i cannot tell any difference in radio reception between headlight plugged in or not. Still not perfectly clear but it never is.

I looked all the LED headlights and decided I would just try changing to LED bulbs and boy do they look great and way less expensive. Also installed the Ciro LED Fang turn signals front and rear with the Custom Dynamics De-modulator absolutely love them. Looking at the Fang headlight trim and rear fender light next.

What bulbs did you end up going with??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469