Let's talk holsters...

RoadWarrior

Jul 16, 2015
Wondering what everyone is using. I'm a rather big guy and don't find IWB comfortable. OWB is better, but not ideal. My most comfortable holster is shoulder rig for a full size 1911. Next would be the hip holster, also for a larger frame. In the winter I usually just keep a 5 shot .38 in a coat pocket, but I'm looking for a better way to carry a 4" Kimber Ultra Carry.

I was thinking about those holster T-shirts. Any plus sized guys out there have any suggestions?

Thanks

I have a pair of the Undertech undercover compression shorts for my S&W Shield. Love them, don't even know I am carrying and you can wear anything with them. I also have an IWB Theis custom holster that I wear at the 5 o'clock position. It is tuckable and also what I carry with most of the time. It has molded to me and is great. I wasn't a fan of IWB before that holster either.

Wondering what everyone is using. I'm a rather big guy and don't find IWB comfortable. OWB is better, but not ideal. My most comfortable holster is shoulder rig for a full size 1911. Next would be the hip holster, also for a larger frame. In the winter I usually just keep a 5 shot .38 in a coat pocket, but I'm looking for a better way to carry a 4" Kimber Ultra Carry.

I was thinking about those holster T-shirts. Any plus sized guys out there have any suggestions?

Thanks

RoadWarrior,
I'm a full figured guy also (6'-4" @ 250) and I have the same issues as you. ITW is fine when standing but lumpy while sitting. OTW seems to work best. I have several holsters but I like a paddle holster for the simple reason that it's easily removable when going into banks and other no carry zones. Of course in Minnesota it's cool enough 6 months to wear a jacket or layers that will easily conceal or even stuff a pocket. I continue to think a shoulder rig might be the best when riding.

Gosh-where to start? For me, it depends on what I'm wearing as to which holster and caliber I carry. My preferred carry is a Sig P938 either in a back pocket wallet holster or an OWB side arm under my sport jacket or vest. I can also carry my Kimber 45 auto in a OWB inside my sports blazer as well. In the summer when wearing shorts and T, I carry a Kimber Micro in a sticky holster up front.
KIMmicro.png

I wear a N82 tactical IWB. I have tried several holsters, and always looking for something better, but as of now that's the most comfortable one that I have found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadWarrior,
I'm a full figured guy also (6'-4" @ 250) and I have the same issues as you. ITW is fine when standing but lumpy while sitting. OTW seems to work best. I have several holsters but I like a paddle holster for the simple reason that it's easily removable when going into banks and other no carry zones. Of course in Minnesota it's cool enough 6 months to wear a jacket or layers that will easily conceal or even stuff a pocket. I continue to think a shoulder rig might be the best when riding.

This is exactly what I was thinking as well. A paddle for quick on and off summer carry and a shoulder rig for driving, riding and winter carry under a jacket. I'd really prefer the shoulder rig all the time, but I don't want to step out the front door looking like I'm headed to Iraq. I like the Galco Miami Classic.

I think there may not be a single solution, but maybe a combination of paddle, shoulder and under garment to satisfy every situation. I can see the under garments working well in a dress environment and in so called "gun free zones". Don't really want advertise in those situations.

First, I don't carry when riding my bike. The pistol is in the saddlebag.
When I do carry I use a paddle holster, in a cross draw position. I have tried so many other holsters, and find this is perfect for me. I can adjust it to any situation for easy access.....as long as I am wearing a long shirt or jacket. I can sit in a restaurant, with my elbows on the table and easily put my hand on my pistol. I carry a Glock 30S. In the hot months, I tend to tote a Ruger LCP in a flat leather sleeve that fits my back pocket perfectly. The only problem is I feel naked with a .380.

Last edited:
I use Zorn skinny rig holster, and love it. I carry my firearm in the front (appendix carry) IWB, 1 o'clock, first it's hard to get used to but after few hours later I can't even tell it's there. I have been carrying for a while and all my riding friends know I carry but they don't know where, very hard to see....that's the reason I love it. I practice over & over to draw and now I can do it without any issue, like everything else we have to practice to get our brain muscle to log it and you do it without thinking about it.

zorn-holsters-kydex-holster-skinny-rig-holster-front_3.jpg

Last edited:
Alien Gear IWB when I'm going into town, Blackhawk serpa paddle holster for around the house and outside, and Galco shoulder holster when I'm riding. That's the best combo I have come up with for me.

Alien Gear IWB when I'm going into town, Blackhawk serpa paddle holster for around the house and outside, and Galco shoulder holster when I'm riding. That's the best combo I have come up with for me.

Send a pic of your shoulder set up if you can...

I have various styles & colors of "Sneaky Pete" holsters for almost every "carry f/a" I own. I can walk into banks, walk through malls, car dealerships, etc. wearing my holstered weapon on my belt with the "holster" in full view (If you cannot see the firearm, IT'S CONCEALED). Most think its a phone or "phablet". The few that DO know, usually just acknowledge with a positive gesture (including LEO's)

The firearm remains "concealed" even when holster (...or phone case) is in full view.
I'm a retired MIAMI P.O. (1999) & currently own 39 "off-duty" style holsters, not counting my 8 Sneaky Petes.
Sneaky Petes just plain work.

Only been stopped by a P.O. once (in the parking lot of my wife's favorite mall), & the question was, "....Been thinkin' about getting one of those...How do you like it?" ** I'm pretty sure he saw me get out of my truck, (I have a F.O.P. emblem attached to my license plate) because the conversation started with, "Are you a cop?"

I have done thousands of "practice draws", and I've gotten very quick. Most of my "carry pistols" have lasers, so its just a matter of putting the red dot on center mass of the threat.

http://sneakypeteholsters.com/

Last edited:
Waiting on the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB for the XDs -9 myself..
Just completed the CHL. Fun class..

I bought a Safariland paddle today. I don't like it near as much as the Galco shoulder rig but it works. I need to order one for the Kimber. Got my sights set on a nice AR-15 next.

I prefer kydex over leather and I especially like the Blackhawk Serpa (positive retention) holster. I too opt for a paddle design over holsters with belt loops. For a few of my smaller framed pistols (G42, S&W Shield, Taurus 85) I like the Fobus Rotary Paddle.

I'm thinking maybe a pancake at 4-5 o'clock. Puts the gun at about where your wallet is. If a bad guy wants your money, he'll expect you to go for your wallet. For a plus sized guy, this position seems comfortable and a belt loop pancake hold the gun closer to the body than a paddle.

I have a pancake for my S&W 686 so I'll try this for few days with that gun. If it works out, I'll shop for a pancake for the Kimber. I did a little looking last night and didn't find a whole lot.

My CFI carries a Sig .40 at small of back and a J frame S&W revolver on his ankle. He used to be a sheriff but they retired him after he got shot. The first year I knew him I never knew he was carrying. He doesn't have any trouble, but I'd worry about drawing from that position and comfort while sitting.

I have various styles & colors of "Sneaky Pete" holsters for almost every "carry f/a" I own. I can walk into banks, walk through malls, car dealerships, etc. wearing my holstered weapon on my belt with the "holster" in full view (If you cannot see the firearm, IT'S CONCEALED). Most think its a phone or "phablet". The few that DO know, usually just acknowledge with a positive gesture (including LEO's)

The firearm remains "concealed" even when holster (...or phone case) is in full view.
I'm a retired MIAMI P.O. (1999) & currently own 39 "off-duty" style holsters, not counting my 8 Sneaky Petes.
Sneaky Petes just plain work.

Only been stopped by a P.O. once (in the parking lot of my wife's favorite mall), & the question was, "....Been thinkin' about getting one of those...How do you like it?" ** I'm pretty sure he saw me get out of my truck, (I have a F.O.P. emblem attached to my license plate) because the conversation started with, "Are you a cop?"

I have done thousands of "practice draws", and I've gotten very quick. Most of my "carry pistols" have lasers, so its just a matter of putting the red dot on center mass of the threat.

http://sneakypeteholsters.com/

Love Sneaky Pete's and BTW being from the Redland's and working in Miami/Miami Beach glad you are retired and enjoying life!

I stumbled upon Kester Farms Tack at a gun show and really liked his custom order products. I have 6 of his holsters and 4 of his belts all hand made by him from Harness leathers in choice of colors and embossing:

http://www.kesterfarmstack.com

KFT.jpg

I use an Alien gear IWB for Springfield XDS .45 acp. I also make my own kydex holsters and have one for a S&W bodyguard .380 IWB. Some times the S&W rides an ankle holster.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469