M8 service

DynaMike

Apr 1, 2017
I had my 1000 mile service done at the dealership and now I'm at 5000 miles. I'm going to switch over to Mobil1 in the motor, and Golden Spectro in the trans and primary. So here's the question, has the capacity in the motor, trans and primary changed in the M8? I've ordered a service manual but it hasn't arrived yet and I need to change the fluid before I head out on a 3000 miles Tennessee ride. Thanks for any info you can provide.

I had my 1000 mile service done at the dealership and now I'm at 5000 miles. I'm going to switch over to Mobil1 in the motor, and Golden Spectro in the trans and primary. So here's the question, has the capacity in the motor, trans and primary changed in the M8? I've ordered a service manual but it hasn't arrived yet and I need to change the fluid before I head out on a 3000 miles Tennessee ride. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hi Mike,
Your new M8 should have come with an owners manual. All the info you requested is in that manual along with diagrams and instructions for general maintenance.
Mobil 1 works well in Harleys. Been using it since it first came out in the 70's long before there was a special V-Twin version. I also use Mobil 1 75-90 EL gear lube in the tranny because it's readily available and reasonably priced. As far as primary fluids go most any Dino fluid works well as it is for lubing the primary chain. I use Rotella Dino oil. The Spectro will work well also.

Hi Mike,
Your new M8 should have come with an owners manual. All the info you requested is in that manual along with diagrams and instructions for general maintenance.
Mobil 1 works well in Harleys. Been using it since it first came out in the 70's long before there was a special V-Twin version. I also use Mobil 1 75-90 EL gear lube in the tranny because it's readily available and reasonably priced. As far as primary fluids go most any Dino fluid works well as it is for lubing the primary chain. I use Rotella Dino oil. The Spectro will work well also.

I'll look in my owners manual, thank you.

Mike
The new M8 engine calls for 4.5 quarts. I always do my own fluid changes and save a ton of $$. I also just add 4 quarts instead of 4.5. I think this has helped me not to have the Air cleaner oils seepage that many complain about. Just sayin . . . . :cool:

I run the same in my bike , Spectro is good stuff , the main concern these days in the primary is the compensating sprocket , I've been running their trans lube for awhile but I'm gona start running their primary lube too.

i have, 4.5 is for a dry motor and 4 quarts for wet. i'm a tech for the harley dealership here. i service m8 motors everyday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith