Motor (Lifter) Noise

Iwannaride

Apr 23, 2013
I have an 09 SG 15,500miles. I have read these motors a little noisy, sounds like lifter noise to me. I thought I would get use to it but it's not happening. Is there anything that can be done to eliminate this

Sometimes using a different brand of oil can make a little improvement. The lifters are hydraulic and shouldn't make noise. If you are running adjustable pushrods you might check to see if they've come loose.

It's all stock, would it have adjustable pushrods? I was told syn. oil would make it worse, guess it's time for a dealer visit

If it's stock then the pushrods are not adjustable so if you've owned it since new and haven't changed them it won't be that. As far as synthetic being noisier that has not been my experience in the bikes I've owned. My last bike was a wideglide that quieted down some when I switched brands of synth oil. My SG doesn't seem to care. My wife's sporty doesn't either. My guess is that the dealer will say it's normal as that seems to be the standard answer to any noise issue.
I have a friend with a Roadking that has an Evo motor. We put a cam, pushrods and lifters in it after he had a lifter go bad at about 50k. It has more top end noise than he would like and we've tried swapping, replacing, adjusting and everything else anybody could think of but it's still got a valve train noise. He's decided to live with it and so far there's no issues so who knows? In any case the dealer trip is a good starting point for you.

I have an 09 SG 15,500miles. I have read these motors a little noisy, sounds like lifter noise to me. I thought I would get use to it but it's not happening. Is there anything that can be done to eliminate this

I've got a 13 SG, It doesn't make near the noise my sporty does. Changing to Redline synthetic did quiet it down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul90