Moving

Aviator5456

Nov 30, 2014
So I'm moving due to my job from the Pacific Northwest to SoCal and was wondering what kind of ride activities/clubs are in the area. I have lived in the Riverside/San Bernardino area years ago but was only into dirt bikes then. I do belong to a motorcycle riding club in the Seattle area but they don't have any chapters in the LA (Orange county) area.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I used to live in Irvine... then Lakewood... Then San Diego.....then Sun City ( north of Temecula )

But that was years ago and was on 'knee draggers' back then tearing up the canyons of Ortega Hwy ( Hwy 74 ).. Mullholland and Sepulveda etc...

With 365/yr riding weather, I am sure you will find what you are looking for... but with the hustle of life in SOCAL, I may wrong....

Hope you get a HUGE payraise... you're gonna need it coming from Washington state to SOCAL. I remember my 2 br apartment ( 900 sq ft ) in Laguna Hills in 1991 was 1000 a month.... I didn't stay long... lol!!

Thanks Spazz....just got back from my house-hunting trip....ugh...its gonna get real expensive living there...I won't be able to get new stuff for the bike, thats for sure. All I can afford is way out in Corona and thats a 36 mile/3 hour commute on the 91 freeway. We did find a descent house, though small, in Cerritos we can rent for awhile thats gonna run $2,400 a month, though most houses start at around $2,600 and since I needed a garage to put the bike in, I couldn't get an apartment, plus we have a couple small dogs.

Like most companies today, I only got a meager pay raise, certainly not enough to pay for the 30% increase in the cost of living. I told the wife we may not stay more than 3-4 years though with her working, it wont be as bad. She can't find a descent job in the Seattle area so at least SHE is looking toward the move.

Well if looking for a club down there and not knowing what you are coming from (religious,veterans,or just a group of guys that rides) I am under the assumption that it isn't a 1% club or they would let you know of a support club. If you look up the SoCal COC (coalition of clubs) that could be a start or you can google SoCal M/C's. Just something to start with. Or I am sure there is probably a HOG chapter there if nothing else can be found right away. Which would help you see what is going on down there and who you fit best with. Cuz picking a club needs to be a great fit or it just won't work right has to have that brotherhood amongst the patch holders. Just my 2cents hope it helps.

I hope you found what you are looking for.... it sucks looking for houses... especially in SOCAL.... I got outbid on 11 houses before I landed one in Sun City ( just north of Temecula on the I15/I215 ) for $425k (that was GOOD back then.. lol)... that was in 2005... things have changed since then as we all know.... but still.

Lane splitting is 'legal' in CA.... so to speak.... but with a bagger, it becomes a dangerous challenge to navigate traffic. If you attempt it... BE CAREFUL. I used to on my R1 and 996 from Sun City to San Diego down I15 and back 150 miles/day. 2 hours in a cage one way... but 60-90 minutes on my bikes in traffic... lots of splitting going on.. lol!

Once you are there for a while to see how things are and different locations, you may find something a little 'better' in the pocket and location if you are only renting/leasing for now ( buying is another story and I recommend really looking HARD at where you want to be ).... took me almost 2 years to find where I wanted to be when I was there.... it was a nightmare!!! It's tough and I feel for ya brother....

BaggerJay makes some good point on the club scene.... IF you are in a 'riding' club... you may want to check into the local HOG chapters in that area. As far a MC's.... find out more info from COC as BaggerJay recommended.

Here is a link to the SOCAL COC site.... they have monthly meetings... looks like Anaheim, CA is the meeting location...

http://www.cocsocal.com/Home_Page.php

Thanks spazz couldn't figure out how to link the address one of these days when we are riding you will have to show me how. Lol as for lane splitting it isn't legal or illegal in Cali as for now so they can't say no. But by the end of the year it will be in the books as a law one way or the other. That is one of the big fights COC has on their hands here this year.

When I lived in Norcal I remember how rough the taxes and roads were. Moving from there to here netted me an additional $263 mo by not having to give up CA payroll taxes!

Thanks all for the tips....I lived in the valleys (Banning/Yucaipa/Redlands) years ago and would only occasionally venture to the beaches. I did find a place in Garden Grove/Seal Beach area and though its real convenient, its real expensive too. I plan on heading back to the Northwest in a few years, though the wife doesn't know it yet, hehehe. I have found some guys from work that I ride with. They are both former marines out of El Toro but still nice guys, lol. Actually we get along great and they don't hold the fact I'm "ex" AF against me.

Yup Mojo, the roads suck and to get anywhere, you have to ride at least an hour but the weather has been so awesome! My last ride was on the Ortega and down to Julian and back....it was pretty awesome for SoCal rides anyway. I really like riding the PCH, haven't been disappointed yet.

Again, thanks to all for the great tips...

Update: This lane splitting is crazy but necessary for sure. I find myself doing it more than I like and sometimes it gets to be a tight squeeze on my bagger. I just hope for the best, give it a twist and go for it. Most of the drivers are pretty good about it and will move over to give more room but every once in awhile you get the typical driver not paying attention and a few times someone moves to cut you off on purpose. Thats life on the freeways here.

Last edited:
I lived in San Clemente (Most southernmost city in Orange County) for over 30 years before moving to Lake Havasu City Full time in 2012 and I can say that the riding there is pretty hard to beat (Weather wise). OC Harley has a very active HOG chapter but I am personally NOT a fan of 100 bike rides.....especially with such a high percentage of the riders being new riders....recipe for disaster and I know from personal experience:mad:

I suggest that you might want to try a ride or 2 with the heard and try to make some friends for a more comfortable 2-5 bike ride with like minded and capability riders.

As mentioned Ortega highway is always a good ride and there is a cool place to stop for lunch there named "Hells Kitchen" which has the coolest condement dispenser to be seen at a "Biker Bar"......there is also "Cooks Canyon" which is always the scene for 100+ bikes to stop on any given weekend and they almost always have a live band.

Heading south toward San Diego there are some great rides down to Mt. Palomar, around Lake Henshaw and the Julian is a great place to ride for the day as well. You can ride and ride and ride in that area almost exclusively with great weather year round....except for maybe those 10 - 15 days a year :D

I personally got out of there because I got tired of all the BS in CA not to mention the cost of living now that I'm not making the big bucks anymore but I wouldn't give up all the great years I had there for anything.....good luck with your move!

Did you say..... 36 mile / 3 hour commute (1.5 each way)????
My 20 mile / 20 minute commute (one way) really irritates me sometimes when I'm behind slowpokes. That place is NOT for me. Can you say POSTAL?

Last edited:
Hey Aviator, I'm in Lakewood real close to LB airport. I used to be real active in the South Bay HOG group and had a lot of fun. Most of the original group has moved on but some of us get together and do some pretty nice day rides. I'm riding to Sturgis in two weeks with a good friend from the old chapter but when I get back, I'll pm you when we take another ride. Pretty much every weekend. A great ride is up to Cold Springs tavern for BBQ tri-tip sandwich and a cold one. Also, check out lakewood for some rentals, it's a great place to live for So. Cal.

Hey Aviator, I'm in Lakewood real close to LB airport. I used to be real active in the South Bay HOG group and had a lot of fun. Most of the original group has moved on but some of us get together and do some pretty nice day rides. I'm riding to Sturgis in two weeks with a good friend from the old chapter but when I get back, I'll pm you when we take another ride. Pretty much every weekend. A great ride is up to Cold Springs tavern for BBQ tri-tip sandwich and a cold one. Also, check out lakewood for some rentals, it's a great place to live for So. Cal.

Sounds good Brews....I work in LB, close to the airport. Haven't been to Cold Springs, sounds like a good ride. I went out with some friends from work last weekend to Julian and stopped at the Hideout Saloon off 76 near Warner Springs for a beer and burger.

I won't be making the trip to Sturgis but am meeting my nephew from NY up in Oregon. He wants to do some riding and camping around the Redwoods. I think that will be a good ride, except for the ride up I5 through the San Joaquin Valley. Very boring but I'll make the best of it. PM when you get back from Sturgis and can't wait to hear some good stories...

I lived in San Clemente (Most southernmost city in Orange County) for over 30 years before moving to Lake Havasu City Full time in 2012 and I can say that the riding there is pretty hard to beat (Weather wise). OC Harley has a very active HOG chapter but I am personally NOT a fan of 100 bike rides.....especially with such a high percentage of the riders being new riders....recipe for disaster and I know from personal experience:mad:

I suggest that you might want to try a ride or 2 with the heard and try to make some friends for a more comfortable 2-5 bike ride with like minded and capability riders.

As mentioned Ortega highway is always a good ride and there is a cool place to stop for lunch there named "Hells Kitchen" which has the coolest condement dispenser to be seen at a "Biker Bar"......there is also "Cooks Canyon" which is always the scene for 100+ bikes to stop on any given weekend and they almost always have a live band.

Heading south toward San Diego there are some great rides down to Mt. Palomar, around Lake Henshaw and the Julian is a great place to ride for the day as well. You can ride and ride and ride in that area almost exclusively with great weather year round....except for maybe those 10 - 15 days a year :D

I personally got out of there because I got tired of all the BS in CA not to mention the cost of living now that I'm not making the big bucks anymore but I wouldn't give up all the great years I had there for anything.....good luck with your move!

Thanks Paul65k, we stopped at Hells Kitchen last week on our epic ride thru the Ortega and then another stop at the Hideout near Warner Springs. It was a pretty descent ride for SoCal standards and ended up in Julian before heading back to the coast. I did like the condiment dispenser, that was pretty cool.

I'm not into the big riding crown either, especially with newbies. I know, they have to get their feet wet sometime...just not on my watch.

I use to have a good friend living in Lake Havasu but lost contact a few years back. Last I heard, he flew for Delta. My wife wants to go check out living conditions in Laughlin and when I retire, that might not be a bad area, though I still like all the greenery up north. My daughter, who still lives in the valleys would love it if I stayed near by and like you said, after I retire, I wont be making the big bucks that I wish I were making now, lol.

Did you say..... 36 mile / 3 hour commute (1.5 each way)????
My 20 mile / 20 minute commute (one way) really irritates me sometimes when I'm behind slowpokes. That place is NOT for me. Can you say POSTAL?

Yep Bugdewde, its crazy on the 91 freeway. Thats probably the busiest freeway out here from and to the valleys and they keep taking away the lanes and selling them as toll lanes. They now have two lanes for tolls and even they get busy.

Thanks Paul65k, we stopped at Hells Kitchen last week on our epic ride thru the Ortega and then another stop at the Hideout near Warner Springs. It was a pretty descent ride for SoCal standards and ended up in Julian before heading back to the coast. I did like the condiment dispenser, that was pretty cool.

I'm not into the big riding crown either, especially with newbies. I know, they have to get their feet wet sometime...just not on my watch.

I use to have a good friend living in Lake Havasu but lost contact a few years back. Last I heard, he flew for Delta. My wife wants to go check out living conditions in Laughlin and when I retire, that might not be a bad area, though I still like all the greenery up north. My daughter, who still lives in the valleys would love it if I stayed near by and like you said, after I retire, I wont be making the big bucks that I wish I were making now, lol.
Well.......I'm now a Realtor here in Havasu and I'd be happy to show you around one of these days........maybe plan a trip out during the winter and we can take a ride around here I'll show you some of the cool sights out this way on Route 66....Happy to do it!!

You should also plan on riding out for the Laughlin rally at the end of April.....lots of fun and most of the major vendors are here :D

Well.......I'm now a Realtor here in Havasu and I'd be happy to show you around one of these days........maybe plan a trip out during the winter and we can take a ride around here I'll show you some of the cool sights out this way on Route 66....Happy to do it!!

You should also plan on riding out for the Laughlin rally at the end of April.....lots of fun and most of the major vendors are here :D

Awesome! Sounds like a good deal and we'll plan on it. BTW I used to own a RE company in Moreno Valley till the mid '90's but ended up going back to flying airplanes...

Awesome! Sounds like a good deal and we'll plan on it. BTW I used to own a RE company in Moreno Valley till the mid '90's but ended up going back to flying airplanes...
Well.......there you go sounds like we have a lot in common :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469