My gas gauge works!

Sealion

Feb 18, 2018
This may be a trivial thing to get excited over, but the gas gauge on my ’05 Road King did not work at all. It stayed on full for about ½ tank then would drop rapidly. I rode it until the low-level light came on once, and then added 4.9 gallons to my 5-gallon tank!

But the gauge on this bike dropped at a nice steady rate and when the low-level light came on, I added 5.1 gallons. I’m very happy the be able to rely on the gauge. :)

After I sold my 04 soft tail, gauge never worked, and got a 12 Road Glide the guys at Harley informed me that HD fuel gauges never worked before 08. I have a 17 Street Glide now and still ride old school... zero out one tripometer whenever I fill up (at 200 miles I know to start looking), look in the tank to see how full it is, use my fuel gauge (this one works), and finally the reserve notice on the tripometer also gives a heads up. This really works, especially the first one!

And to top it off, pun intended, I carry a water bottle holder on my saddle bad crash bar. This is used to hold fuel if I'm riding in areas where I may not come across a gas station for a while (ie. the boonies).

Wait until Betty starts telling you where to go to find gas when the GPS takes over.

After I sold my 04 soft tail, gauge never worked, and got a 12 Road Glide the guys at Harley informed me that HD fuel gauges never worked before 08. I have a 17 Street Glide now and still ride old school... zero out one tripometer whenever I fill up (at 200 miles I know to start looking), look in the tank to see how full it is, use my fuel gauge (this one works), and finally the reserve notice on the tripometer also gives a heads up. This really works, especially the first one!

And to top it off, pun intended, I carry a water bottle holder on my saddle bad crash bar. This is used to hold fuel if I'm riding in areas where I may not come across a gas station for a while (ie. the boonies).

Yes, I am still in the habit of using the trip meter for a gas gauge. Not sure I want to give up the comfort of knowing how far I have gone on a tank.

TomA - is Betty your nav system voice? I was pleasantly surprised when the low-level warning came up on my screen with the offer to find a gas station. I am still getting used to all the bells and whistles!

Yes Betty is the GPS talking she was also my mother in law ha ha ha ha

TomA - is Betty your nav system voice? I was pleasantly surprised when the low-level warning came up on my screen with the offer to find a gas station. I am still getting used to all the bells and whistles!

Don't feel bad Sealion, I owned a 2014 and then my current 2017 before I ever finally knew about this feature! :confused: :confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TokyoPortrait