Need Advice

floridaman1398

Sep 16, 2017
I need advice from the Gurus !!!

I did a stage 3 upgrade few months ago. The set up is the SE 114 kit, SE 515 Power Cam, Vance an Hines Hi Output slip-ons, SE Ventilator, SE Spark Plugs wires. After the upgrade, I was told to ride it for 1,000 miles then to bring it back to do the 1K miles check up and put the bike back on the dyno to "refine" the set ups.

I did that and when I picked up the bike, I was handed the dyno sheet.....the dyno results were as follows:

Before Dyno: Max Hp: 98.99 Max Torque: 92.50

After Dyno: Max Hp: 106.65 Max Torque: 107.08

sc0002 1.jpg

I don't think something is right. I believe that the numbers should be a lot higher than that. I mean, the bike right out of the lot should have 111 lbs of torque and now, it is 4 lbs less with a bigger engine and a different cam.....

Even the bike feels different...before you could feel the spunkiness, the power, and now, it is almost like when I first took it out of the dealer...tamed, somewhat sluggish...to put in different perspective, in 5th gear, I could twist the throttle a little bit and the bike almost wanted to trow my lady out of bike....and now....it feels not quite the same.....

Any advice what should I do?

Should I take the bike to a different techs ( not Harley Davidson morons and have them re-dyno my bike?

Advice and inputs will be of great appreciation !!

Well I can’t say I have done much research on the new motors but my first question would be was a new throttle body put on. The the added size without it would really choke the motor.

Question, who did the upgrade....yourself or a shop? Moving up to 114 kit you need to increase fuel/air (58mm) flow as well.....doesn't sound as it was done....???? If you had a shop do this they should have recommended you with necessary upgrade parts to increase HP/Torque. Under 100HP for the upgrade you have is not right, and I am surprise Dyno tune shop did not discuss with you on Dyno result with the kit you have.

Last edited:
Well I can’t say I have done much research on the new motors but my first question would be was a new throttle body put on. The the added size without it would really choke the motor.

Good point....No, I didn't put a bigger throttle body. Still has the original 55mm. I am planning to complete the stages by adding the CNC Ported head, which I believe does includes the larger throttle body and the injectors...

It is that it seemed to me odd that after putting the larger jugs and pistons, only increases moderately the HP/TQ.....

Question, who did the upgrade....yourself of a shop? Moving up to 114 kit you need to increase fuel/air (58mm) flow as well.....doesn't sound as it was done....???? If you had a shop do this they should have recommended you with necessary upgrade parts to increase HP/Torque. Under 100HP for the upgrade you have is not right, and I am surprise Dyno tune shop did not discuss with you on Dyno result with the kit you have.

The Harley Davidson Dealer did the upgrade. I am under the impression that if anyone other than the dealer does the upgrade, my bike VIN and warranty will be blacklisted thus voiding my warranty...am I right?

But no, the dealer folks did not discussed the throttle body, injectors or any other parts needed to significantly increase the HP/TQ.

So you and Baggerjay thinks that if I replace those parts the HP/TQ will change to better numbers?

Without a doubt, 58mm throttle body and heads you should jump up considerably. My question would be why didn’t the dealership not inform you of this, it was an opportunity for them to make even more money. Doesn’t seem right to me, that they wouldn’t have pushed 58mm and high flow heads.

When you have the heads and throttle body installed, consider adding headers as well and you won't be able to stop smiling. My 2015 with the 107 has a 58mm throttle body with 5.3 GPS injectors. if you really want to add a huge fun factor to it, install a 30T drive pulley on the main shaft.

Oh....you just did the jugs, cam, then the output HP is about right without the heads & TB/injectors.....once you complete the rest heads/TB/Injector/header and a tuner then you will see huge jump on HP/Torque.....

If Harley authorized shop does the upgrade HD warranty still works as if/when something breaks the shop will do the repair under factory warranty.

HD dealership that did your bike is not very honest with you, they should have explained to you from the beginning on what you would be looking with what was done so you can decide if you want to go complete upgrade or partial knowing the HP gain.

Last edited:
I assume you are using the SE Street Tuner to keep warranty intact? That's leaving a fair amount of HP/TQ behind, but, if you are like me, I'm not changing tuner till the warranty is over.

The numbers don't look bad for a Stage 3. A torque cam may have picked up some torque but would probably sacrifice a few HP.

Keep in mind dyno numbers vary greatly, don't be concerned about the high numbers you see being posted around, just how your bike feels to ride.

I have the Street Tuner on my Stage l & 11 but was not happy with it. I changed it to the FP3 w/Autotune and it made a bigger difference, The FP3 stores your original factory tune and you can change back to it at anytime. The advantage with Autotune is you can have the FP3 adjust to many mods you make (but I would not use it for Stage lll & lV). :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith