New to Harley's. Rear shock question

Cruzan Street Glide

Jul 6, 2018
Morning all,
We have a 2017 Street Glide with the manual adjustable rear shocks.
What is the length of the rear shocks?
Would you measure them with weight on the rear end or lifted off the ground?
Is the measurement taken from eye to eye?

I'm on the shorter side and need the bike just a little lower to the ground
Thanks,
Rick

Eye to eye center of them is the correct way to measure them. Sitting on ground with no load should do fine, or if you have time just pull one and measure. Your bike should have 12 inch shocks.

Last edited:
You should have 12 inch shocks on the back as that's what comes stock. There are lowering kits out there you can use. If you do an internet search you will be surprised at what pops up

You should have 12 inch shocks on the back as that's what comes stock. There are lowering kits out there you can use. If you do an internet search you will be surprised at what pops up

Thanks guy's
what little research I have done, all i'm finding is NO lowering kits for newer Street Glides with the manual adjust shocks?

Be wary of rear lowering kits. Any change in the shocks' angle could lead to them clashing with, and damaging, your bags. Do your research.

Yeah may want to look at buying a lower seat instead. Lowering the 12" shocks anymore will hurt the ride and possibly having you scraping floorboards all the time.

I also think that the ground clearance will be reduced and that the bike will rub + in the turns. the shock absorbers are not comfortable original and it will be even worse with a size + small.
But it's true that the back down, it gives a terrible look!
There are air kits that adjust the bike all the way down or up.
Personally, if I changed I would put a size on top like road king and electra.

Je pense aussi que la garde au sol sera réduite et que la moto frottera + dans les virages. les amortisseurs ne sont pas confortable d'origine et ce sera encore pire avec une taille + petite.
Mais c'est vrai que l'arrière baissé, ça donne un look terrible!
Il existe des kits à air qui règle la moto tout en bas ou très haut.
Perso, si je changeais je mettrais une taille au dessus comme les road king et électra.

I’m also on the short side. Currently I have adjustable air shocks. They are a great option because I can lower the bike when I’m maneuvering/walking it around, and can very easily increase to a good ride with solid performance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith