New voluntary recall...?

MKA_5966

Jul 6, 2016
Seen a story this morning that MOCO had a voluntary recall on 238,000 bikes dealing with the hydraulic clutch.

I verified this on the HD website in the recall section. All the detail are specifically laid out as to what needs to be done. Sounds like some new parts are going to be installed.

2018-10-23_11-26-23.png

Seen a story this morning that MOCO had a voluntary recall on 238,000 bikes dealing with the hydraulic clutch.

I verified this on the HD website in the recall section. All the detail are specifically laid out as to what needs to be done. Sounds like some new parts are going to be installed.

View attachment 14876

Here's the official info from HD

Service recall.jpg

HD had similar situation with 2015 models also for clutch, I had to take mine in to get hydraulic line and washers replaced. At least they are recalling them to get things straight before something bad happen to riders.

Seems like Harley has a "recent" history of clutch issues. I'm wondering why they can't seem to resolve this. In this latest case, which my bike is affected, I wonder what the issue is... I believe Brembo motorcycle brakes had a recent issue with their master cylinder. I wonder if there are any "common" parts that might be related... Just wondering... I hear the parts won't be in shops till 5 November. I'm still breaking in my bike. Doubt I'll have the miles in by then, but will see about getting the 1k service and recall done at the same time

I spoke to Ragin Bull HD Service and Parts (Durham, NC) Nov 2 about the recall. Here is what they said. Secondary clutch actuator cylinder Seal is being replaced. 2 hours of labor which includes loosing the headers and pipes so they can remove the transmission cover to get to the actuator to replace the seal. And bleeding and replacing the clutch fluid. They said look for spots on the floor under the bike coming from Transmission Cover. If you see fluid on the floor call them. That means you have a problem. Since they have not got the parts yet and have never replaced the recall part this is what has been told to them which they are passing on to customers. Hope this helps...I will continue to ride the bike until I have time to bring the bike in for the recall..

Thanks for what to look for! My 2017 FLSS is also affected which I've had for about a year and a half. No leaks under it nor my FLHXS...yet. Hopefully it doesn't develop as winter is fast approaching hear and chances of getting the work doen before Spring will be slim. By that time everyone in the Metro area will be making appointments...

New voluntary recall...?

Got my recall notice in the mail today and rode up to the dealer to discuss. He already had my contact info on a list that MOCO sent out to dealers (based on where you bought your bike), to call their buyers once the kits come in. That was nice to see.

Anyways, we discussed the tranny issue I’m having regarding passing fluid into my primary. Probably not gonna help that.

I got my recall today. Starting to lose confidence in my bike since this is the second recall that could cause a wreck. I just had a real nice 1 hour through the mountains yesterday and now this. Feels like 2010 Toyota recalls all over again

I got my recall today. Starting to lose confidence in my bike since this is the second recall that could cause a wreck. I just had a real nice 1 hour through the mountains yesterday and now this. Feels like 2010 Toyota recalls all over again

What was the first?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Received notices for both my Harleys. I had already contacted my local dealer and am on the list to receive the fix. The only pain the ass is we are heading into winter here, so chances of having a nice day to get it in to the dealer are going to be hard to do, and mostly it's hard for me to get days off to be flexible enough to get in before spring...

While I'm concerned, I'm not too worried as it's a voluntary recall and not mandatory. If it was really severe the notice would have been mandatory and they would have told us to stop riding the motorcycle till it's repaired. While I've never owned a motorcycle with a leaky hydraulic clutch, I would imagine as it leaked, it would start to feel spongy.

I'm only concerned about it affecting me in one circumstance, and that would be coming to a slow/full stop at say a light. Thats where I imagine if the clutch wasn't disengaging you'd stall the bike. So a tip over might be possible, otherwise I'm not too worried as when I raced motorcycles, I had a get-off and the clutch cable broke. I was still able to ride the bike to the end of the race just shifting without the clutch. I don't believe any damage occurred because of this. With that said, I wouldn't advocate doing this as it may damage something, but I'd do it if I was stuck in a remote place...

I was already considering a Rekluse clutch, might just make the switch on my FLHXS...

Oil leak from clamp on oil cooler line. I guess the next recall will be for no brakes.

Haha, God I hope not. OK, just checking to make sure I didn’t miss something. I guess my ‘18 didn’t get that recall.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The oil cooler recall only involved one clamp on the oil line not being fitted properly and the potential for oil to spray out,I had mine looked at with this recall and it was fine,not a big deal

I got the clutch recall too, but as my bike is put away for the winter I'll deal with it in the spring.
Hopefully most of these will be already done and the parts are readily available.
Plus the techs at the shop should have it down by then...LOL.

I went up to the dealership a week ago to make arrangements/appointment to have the clutch recall done. There were about 25 on a list in front of me.

The service manager said at that time they were receiving about 5 - 6 kits a week. Their going to call me when its my turn, and come pick up my bike at the house.

It's full on winter and stupid cold here in the Midwest right now.

While it's there going to have a V&H Power Dual head pipe installed. Hopefully that'll be the cure for the heat the cat seemingly puts off.

I took my bike in for the recall today. When I picked it up I was told that the shifter shaft seal was leaking, so they replaced that too under warranty. And then they fixed a broken tab on my hard lower door and didn’t charge me for it. Also, as always, they wash it every time You take it in for anything, that’s pretty nice.
I only take it in for recalls and waranty work, I do my own maintenance and wrenching. It’s too exspensive in my opinion to have HD do everything.
But I can understand people who do have their work done.
As far as losing confidence, I’m not real concerned. The engine and trans seem pretty sound. And they are pretty quick to act when there is an issue, at least that’s been my experience. And also, there is naturally going to be a percentage of manufacturing issues with any manufacturer, that’s just the human condition. It’s all a matter how they handle it with the customer.

Last edited:
'18 FLHXS is in the shop getting the recall done today. Best day of the week or even the Holiday week, 61 degrees in Metro-Denver...

I also have to take my FLSS in for the clutch recall. When I talked tot he guys at the shop, they said they'd come pick up the FLSS for free even if the weather wasn't looking so great. Said, it's slow this time of year, so they'll take whatever work....

While cool, just too bad I have to have them both done... oh well...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77