Non HD filters

jlasersmith

Jan 6, 2018
Looking for a non HD filter for my SGS. I don't have a dealer nearby, but I do have Amazon prime. Any recommendations? I looked on Mobile site for a Mobil 1 filter but it appears they do not have one for the new motor. Is this true?
Thanks guys.

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

K&N oil filters for HD work great. They have a nut attached to the end and spin on and off using a socket with extension. Available on line, most auto parts stores, even at Walmart. They come in black or chrome. Prices start about $12 for the black. My HD dealer sells these in addition to the oem filter.

image.jpeg

Be very careful when you buy K&N filters. I bought three at a supposed good price off amazon. At about 4,000 miles the first one failed when it had a major leak at the weld for the nut. I had the bike towed home, replaced the filter with another. About another 4,000 miles later the same thing happened again. I am not talking about a drip but most of the oil pumping out and oiling the rear tire. I threw the third filter away. Apparently K&N filters have been counterfited in China. My motor costs to much to replace and I was glad we were on one of the few straight roads in East TN when it happened. Now I use HD parts as I know where they come from.

Be very careful when you buy K&N filters. I bought three at a supposed good price off amazon. At about 4,000 miles the first one failed when it had a major leak at the weld for the nut. I had the bike towed home, replaced the filter with another. About another 4,000 miles later the same thing happened again. I am not talking about a drip but most of the oil pumping out and oiling the rear tire. I threw the third filter away. Apparently K&N filters have been counterfited in China. My motor costs to much to replace and I was glad we were on one of the few straight roads in East TN when it happened. Now I use HD parts as I know where they come from.

Other good reason to use OEM parts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked on kn website and their part # is the same for the new motor. I was looking at someone else's site and saw different part #s for the new motor. Can't remember now who it was. I'm glad to hear the filters are the same. I still have a handful of filters sitting on the shelf from my 01' FLHT.

Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited:
There are several informative YouTube videos comparing major brands of oil filters. The filters were dissected and all of the internal components were analyzed and compared. There were clearly winners and losers.
I also learned that apparently HD filters are now made by Fram but to HD specs.
It's also important to know that Evolution Engine oil filters are totally incompatible with TC and M8 engines.

I've used a FLO permanent oil filter in my TC bike for years now, and when the warranty runs out on my M8, I'll be switching to one for that too.

does anyone know what the part # is for the K&M oil filter for a 16 sgs?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clive Miller