Odd fading vibrations at 2800 RPM

Lawdawg

Jul 2, 2020
2009 SG with Stage III SE Tune.

I have an odd vibration that comes and goes at 2800 RPM through the bike. it happens about every 30 seconds or so. It is RPM specific at any speed. I can feel it in the seat, handlebars, and footboards. New to the baggers. I just got it a week ago and have rolled over 1600 miles in that week. There is also a small oil leak from the primary, coming out of the derby cover by the drain plug. Not sure if that is related. Any ideas??

Update, its in the shop, HD said they would cover the leak. I'll let you know what the issue is there. They are not sure about the vibrations. They aren't there at 2500 or lower, 3000 or higher. Wondering if its not just a quark of the bike.

Update to the Update,
Harley replaced the seals and gaskets all through the motor. (Shift, Main, Inner, Starter, ETC). It took care of the leak and the vibrations at 2800. Just incase anyone is wondering. Just talking to myself in here lol. Harley fixed it on the house too, so that was nice.

couple questions, did they say how the seals caused a vibration? odd. so the dealership replaced these seals out of the goodness of their heart on a 2009 model? or did you just buy the bike from them real recently?

I had purchased the bike a couple thousand miles prior, about three weeks. They didn't say, but the bike had to go back in two weeks ago due to a leak in the same place. The vibrations did not come back though. This time it was the starter they said. They ordered a new starter and installed it. It is supposed to be ready for pickup today (08/21/2020). They fixed it on the house too. I've had fantastic service after the sale at Twister City HD here in Wichita KS.

I've put about 300 miles since the repair. The starter fixed the issue. I am not sure why you would need to replace the entire starter for a bad seal, but they did. No leaks, no vibrations, smooth as it should be. I am glad HD stood behind a bike that already had 21K miles on it. I'm up to 28K now in just 60 days. Not sure what the cost of all the repairs would have been out of pocket, but replacing all the main seals, plus the new starter on two separate shop visits at the dealership probably would have cost me my first born son.

Sounds like they are taking care of you. That's a good thing in this day and age.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith