Ohlins

Scatrgunr

May 28, 2013
I have been looking for the right suspension to run on my 2011SG for both comfort and performance. The stock front end had a tendency to dive too much during braking and didn't handle bumps all that well. The rear 12" air shocks bottomed out unless I ran a lot of pressure and they rode HARSH over bumps sometimes giving me a sharp pain in my back when hitting a large bump. I weigh about 270lbs. and almost always ride only one up as my wife has her own bike.

I went with Progressive monotubes in the front forks which solved my front end issues. The rear proved to be a bit of a process. I first tried changing the oil weight which made only a very small change if any. I then tried a set of 11.5" Progressive 440's I found used at a good price. Unfortunately they had the heavy duty springs and combined with the short travel they were no improvement to speak of. A friend had a set of stock 13" Road Glide Ultra shocks which I changed the oil in and ran. Substantial improvement but still not great.

I finally took the plunge and bought a set of Ohlins from the great folks at Fuel Moto. Ohlins only makes the FLHX stock length shock (12") in a base model emulsion type shock. I wanted the mid range Ohlins so I went with the 13" model HD 159. While they are not inexpensive they are fantastic. My first rides have been pain free and the bike handles great, especially on the bumps. I have hit lots of bumps and railroad tracks and have yet to bottom out or feel pain. I'm going to stop finding crappy road to test them on and give them my thumbs up. Thanks Fuel Moto for another worthwhile purchase.
IMG_2231.jpg

Its really hard to beat Jaimie and Fuel Moto. Their reputation just keeps getting rave reviews for products, service and knowledge!

The key here is 13" length. 12" will never get the ride and handling of a 13" shock. The frame is designed for 13" shocks. USA Street Glides are lowered 1" by H-D to look more like baggers.

The stock 12" shocks are lame with only 2" of travel, so I tried the H-D Premium Ride hand-adjustable 13" shocks. The bottom line is that they have too much preload for my weight, even at the minimum preload setting. They are nearly topped out even with my weight on the bike. After 2000 miles they were still that way.

So I picked up a pair of Ohlins HD-022 13" shocks from Fuel Moto. They came with 25N/mm spring stiffness which is custom selected based on rider weight, solo or two-up, and tour-pak or not. I specified 175 lbs, solo only, and no tour-pak.

Wow!! These shocks ride fantastic. They have 3.25 inches of travel and sag a little over an inch when I'm on the bike. Very comfortable and the bike feels more stable at all times. No adjustments to mess with other than spring preload which came factory set to the proper amount. I'm sold.

S36E.jpg

Hulkss....When i went to their website it said *Except FLHX Models*. So is that wrong? I am looking for something like this but saw that & kept looking.....

Yes, that's the one. It says except FLHX because the factory puts on lowered shocks in the USA (12").

13" HD 022 Fits perfectly and provides standard ride height for touring models
12" HD 039 lowered height for touring models.

After a riding season on my Ohlins I feel they were worth every penny. Good to hear you are enjoying yours Hulkss.

After a riding season on my Ohlins I feel they were worth every penny. Good to hear you are enjoying yours Hulkss.

Doing a little reading on shocks. I just took the plunge and installed Ohlins on my bike. Went with the 13" ones, set the sag and waiting for the weather to warm up to test them out.

Doing a little reading on shocks. I just took the plunge and installed Ohlins on my bike. Went with the 13" ones, set the sag and waiting for the weather to warm up to test them out.

When the weather cooperates, give us a report.

Yes, I really like the 13" Ohlins shocks on my bike. Here's a presentation about some of their shock absorber technology: Ohlins Presentation Link

I just had the Ohlins HD 159 installed at Bikeweek in Daytona by Ohlins USA. Huge difference from the stock shocks on my SGS. It feels like a new motorcycle.

I do not need an adjustable shock as my bike is set up for solo only. I bought the Ohlins HD 022 with settings and springs from the Ohlins USA to match my weight. They work great. There is a little more travel in the 022 as there is no piston inside to separate the air and oil which takes up about 1/4".

Curious why u went with a 13" instead of the 12 1/8" which is the factory height for the sgs. Also, the 12 1/8" has a little more stroke length. I"m about to order the 039.

Curious why u went with a 13" instead of the 12 1/8" which is the factory height for the sgs. Also, the 12 1/8" has a little more stroke length. I"m about to order the 039.

The 13" length is the "engineered" shock length for the FL touring frame. 13" shocks are on most all bikes including SGs in Europe. Only the SG in USA and the new "low" models have short shocks. 12" is for a lower look or for short people, not the best for handling or comfort.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the 022 will give a better ride than the 039? I'm not concerned so much about the lowered look...just to get rid of those hard riding stock shocks.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the 022 will give a better ride than the 039? I'm not concerned so much about the lowered look...just to get rid of those hard riding stock shocks.

Yes. The bike will have a better handling geometry and with more ground clearance for safer cornering. The Ohlins will compress a bit more as parked so the look is almost the same.

Hulkss is correct when he says the bike will look the same with the 13" Ohlins. I notice no difference in the look and at 6'2" I sure don't have any problem reaching the ground with my feet.

Hulkss is correct when he says the bike will look the same with the 13" Ohlins. I notice no difference in the look and at 6'2" I sure don't have any problem reaching the ground with my feet.

Same here. I went to the 13" on my CVO SG and don't really notice the change from an appearance perspective. I will remind anyone to readjust your headlight after changing and setting new shocks You will notice a huge difference in the ride quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. I went to the 13" on my CVO SG and don't really notice the change from an appearance perspective. I will remind anyone to readjust your headlight after changing and setting new shocks You will notice a huge difference in the ride quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point Dennis, thanks for the reminder!

Sorry to post on a bread from so long ago but I have a 2017 SGS and am looking to replace the crappy stock rear shocks. If I went with the ohlins o22 shocks would I have to do anything with the front shock tubes? Are they lowered just like the rear 1"? Also was wondering putting on a little taller shock does that effect belt tension? Do we have to readjust the belt after shock install.

James

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave