Ohlins

The front of the bike is not lowered, you do not need to do anything with it after adding longer shocks. I didn't need to adjust my belt tension with the longer shocks. I would suggest you check it though.

Last year I updated my 2016 special to set of #3 from Howard at Motorcycle Metal. What a huge difference. I also dropped in a Legend Axeo cartridge fork system and the bike now
rides ands handles like it should. Howard will valve and spring the shocks to your riding style and weight. And he will even spend a hour on the phone helping you install them correctly.
These shocks have an external adjustment as well as being able to adjust the overall height to match the Harley swingarm's which are not equal on the shock mounts from side to side.
Plus he will give discounts for forum members.
This mod ranks right above a fuel moto target tune stage one kit.

I replaced my stock shocks a little over 600 miles ago with a pair of Ohlins #2-2B The 13" ones which made a big difference. At 1st I hadn't quite had them dialed in but after adjusting it's made a huge difference. Haven't had any of those spine jarring experiences bottoming out. I'd say I'm glad I made the investment.

I’m considering the ohlins for my ‘17. With a 29” inseam I don’t have any trouble with reach to the ground on either my RK or SGS but wondered if anyone had tried the 12” 022’s and could report on how they perform. I’m barely 160lbs and these stock shocks are beating the crap out of me. Thanks!

Sorry for reviving this old thread - but the shocks on my 2018 have got to go. I’ve never replaced a shock or fork on any bike I’ve owned and that goes all the way back to 1973. That includes baggers, cruisers, standards, sport tourers and dual sports. Typically the OEM suspensions are good enough for me.

So after 2 years of trying to get the single sided shock system on my FLHXS to work, I’m done. My ass and back are done too.

A set of Ohlins HD 022 are inbound!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went with the Ohlin HD 159's last year on the rear and what a difference. Now as soon as I get the cartridges for the front end we will see how life is. If it's anything like the rear I may keep this bike for another 10 years or never sell it.

UPS says they deliver today, I should be able to give some sort of report by end of week. However, simply having 2 equally sprung, nitrogen over oil shocks on the back with an inch longer of travel has got to make a world of difference.

As far as the front end, I more than happy with the new Showa bent valve design. I have all ideas that the new rear shocks are going to compliment it very well.

I can’t wait..

I'm about the same build as you and have 12" Nitrons on the rear - brilliant. Fitted 1" lowered Legend Axeos on the front last winter - now even better.

Ohlins

Shocks are installed and initial sag is set. Ohlins did a preliminary preload adjustment based on the questionnaire I filled out with Cycle Solutions. Out of the box it bolted in with 24mm sag. I let it out one full turn which set it at 28mm.

She does sit a bit higher in the back, enough that I had to raise the headlight. Looking at the exhausts, it sits more level. It looks like my old Road King, i.e., a bit more sporty. But the stretched bags keep the bagger look going.

Due to the rain I’ll have to wait till tomorrow for the maiden voyage.

Easy job for sure.

4596dae1138345cbb87928e69befbde7.jpg

Last edited:
Ohlins

So after a couple of long rides, I have to agree, hands down, that the difference is night and day. Not that these Ohlins are the shock wonders of the universe - they’re just a set of good quality, simply designed shocks. The issue is, the HD single rear shock system totally sucks. So the comparison isn’t really like day and night, it’s more like a properly prepared steak and cow shiznitz.

Having the bike properly sprung on all four corners is the way this chassis is designed to work. And it works very well with these entry level Ohlins. If HD wants to introduce a single shock design they’ll need to redesign the rear chassis - maybe a mono shock?

I hope one day that the HD rear shock guys and the HD chassis guys meet to discuss this terrible idea - obviously they’ve never met or discussed the 2017-2019 touring design?

Last edited:
First good run yesterday with ‘sweet thing’ on back - and she agreed - the rear shocks were a necessary purchase. Now that’s a serious slam against the OEM suspension because for 41 years, she’s never noticed anything technical about my bikes.

Where to purchase shocks for best price?

Where to purchase shocks for best price?

First good run yesterday with ‘sweet thing’ on back - and she agreed - the rear shocks were a necessary purchase. Now that’s a serious slam against the OEM suspension because for 41 years, she’s never noticed anything technical about my bikes.

Good afternoon.
Where do you recommend buying these? Who has the best price? Are you going to change the front suspension? Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave