Oil in 2017

Quik

Oct 6, 2016
HD service manager recommends conventional oil to be put in at my 1000 mile break in service. I know opinions are all over the map about oil but what do you guys think?

The '17's run cooler overall. That is unarguable, however the oil being circulated around the exhaust ports is encountering a bunch of localized heat. Since dino oil breaks down around 250-degrees, I'm going with synthetic. Besides, the synthetic oil, in my opinion, has better "shelf life" while the bike sits through the miserable winters here in the Upper Midwest. I will say, though, that I have not observed oil temps over 215-degrees in the sump; and this has been on some 90-degree-plus days.

Last edited:
Conventional oil or semi-synthetic for break in, sure....absolutely. However, your bike was broken in after 500 miles. The rings are already seated. Amsoil V Twin 20W-50 in my Glide at the 1,000 mile mark, nothing less. Amsoil even makes specific formulations for the Transmission and the Primary Case.

Last edited:
Took a long 200 mile ride after changing all the lubricants over to Amsoil. Wow, what a difference. I've never felt a smoother clutch or shifter on any Harley touring bike before.

Took a long 200 mile ride after changing all the lubricants over to Amsoil. Wow, what a difference. I've never felt a smoother clutch or shifter on any Harley touring bike before.

Same experience here. I need heavier engine oil for my 120" motor. I might try 25W-60 Klotz synthetic.

No break in needed and I understand the M8 motor holds another .5 quart.

I have been using Spectro 25W60 in my 2012 Streetglide and my 2001 FXDX , love it.

Engine is much quieter.

Ken

Same experience here. I need heavier engine oil for my 120" motor. I might try 25W-60 Klotz synthetic.

The difference isn't the engine lubricant only. It's mostly due to Amsoil's new dedicated formulations for the primary case and the transmission. Most people use the same engine lubricant in all 3 compartments. However, this isn't best case scenario or best choice. It's sufficient, yet hardly optimal. Each compartment has a different requirement.

The engine lubricant quiets valve train.
The transmission fluid smooths shifts.
The primary case fluid smooths the clutch.

All three reduce friction, heat, and wear in all cases.

Last edited:
Hulkss Klotz is some good stuff. I run the 20-50 in mine and run the primary fluid in the primary . But Quik I changed my oil to Klotz after the first 1000. Go with either Klotz or Amsoil and use the primary fluid for the primary.

Hard to imagine that a HD Service Manager would suggest "conventional oil" meaning "dinosaur drippings" after the 1k service on the newest engine. The Harley Syn3 and range of aftermarket synthetic oils out there are clearly better performing on the road and are proven in the lab. To top it off, Harley makes good bank on the Syn3 :) Maybe they meant conventional as in the same oil in all three holes? The worst synthetic suggested here is far better than conventional oils. I'd ask them to clarify, giving them the benefit of doubt. I'd never run dino-drippings ever again.

I changed to amsoil after a 1000 mile in my 14 streetglide and used amsoil primary and trans oil the motor was and primary was making so much noise that I switched by to HD360 and formula plus in primary and spectro in trans and it was quiet. I love amsoil but will not use it in my bike again

My dealer said it was because the oil and I thought that was crap also but changed back and all the noise went away so I didn't think it was true but they were right. This does not mean that amsoil is bad I just don't use in my bike anymore

Hard to imagine that a HD Service Manager would suggest "conventional oil" meaning "dinosaur drippings" after the 1k service on the newest engine. The Harley Syn3 and range of aftermarket synthetic oils out there are clearly better performing on the road and are proven in the lab. To top it off, Harley makes good bank on the Syn3 :) Maybe they meant conventional as in the same oil in all three holes? The worst synthetic suggested here is far better than conventional oils. I'd ask them to clarify, giving them the benefit of doubt. I'd never run dino-drippings ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith