Oil leak - advice...?

tsmith0605

Jan 15, 2017
So I put on a new headpipe this weekend and spotted a signicant oil leak. Appears to perhaps be coming from the oil line connection right behind the oil pressure sensor (pic). Connections on cooler seem fine. Could it be coming from anywhere else in this vicinity? Bike just coming up on 5K miles. (2017 SGS)
bd07a1575deeb3c00a68616ebac06128.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So I put on a new headpipe this weekend and spotted a signicant oil leak. Appears to perhaps be coming from the oil line connection right behind the oil pressure sensor (pic). Connections on cooler seem fine. Could it be coming from anywhere else in this vicinity? Bike just coming up on 5K miles. (2017 SGS)
bd07a1575deeb3c00a68616ebac06128.jpg

Dumps this much oil after idling for just a few minutes. No bueno...
0c407d192eb5e70bef30af863f51f455.jpg

I recommend spraying the entire area down with brake and parts cleaner to get it really clean and free of oil and then go for a short ride. Next, take a look to see if you can pinpoint the leak. I'm guessing it's probably leaking from the oil cooler line fitting. You may have to remove the oil line during an oil change and retorque the fitting to factory specs.

Not saying it's associated, but there was a recall on oil cooler connections. Specifically the clamps. Have you had it in for this to be checked? Should be warranty work regardless.

Had it checked for the recall last summer. I re-looked at the connections on the cooler and they're dry. I think I'm good from the recall perspective. Thanks regardless.

The thing that ticks me off is that I just had the dealership perform the 5000 mile service. How the hell do you miss something like this??? WTF. Sorry - venting. I appreciate the help.

That is the recalled oil line that is leaking. My 2017 SGS has leaked twice. First time new clamps were put on but it leaked again 8k miles later. So far its good after the second fix.

That is the recalled oil line that is leaking. My 2017 SGS has leaked twice. First time new clamps were put on but it leaked again 8k miles later. So far its good after the second fix.
Agree. Strange though. I thought the recall was specific to the ouderkirk (sp?) clamps. This is just a normal spring type clamp.

I recommend spraying the entire area down with brake and parts cleaner to get it really clean and free of oil and then go for a short ride. Next, take a look to see if you can pinpoint the leak. I'm guessing it's probably leaking from the oil cooler line fitting. You may have to remove the oil line during an oil change and retorque the fitting to factory specs.
Really appreciate the feedback. I'm a shade tree car gearhead and just getting acclimated to two-wheel wrenching.

Really appreciate the feedback. I'm a shade tree car gearhead and just getting acclimated to two-wheel wrenching.

NP. Please keep us posted, so that those of us with M8's will know what potential problems we need to keep an eye out for.

NP. Please keep us posted, so that those of us with M8's will know what potential problems we need to keep an eye out for.
So, here's the update. The leak was attributed to a bad clamp on the oil line just behind the oil pressure sensor. Simple fix with a better style clamp. No other leaks present. All It's well in the Harley universe once again.

So, here's the update. The leak was attributed to a bad clamp on the oil line just behind the oil pressure sensor. Simple fix with a better style clamp. No other leaks present. All It's well in the Harley universe once again.

Cool! Glad to hear it was a simple fix. What style of clamp did you use?

I gotcha. Did you replace all of them to eliminate the possibility of any of the other clamps failing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdsmojo