Oil loss normal?

09 Softail C

Jan 8, 2017
Had the bike (2017 SGS) in for the 10K service and ask them to check why between the 5k and 10k I had to add a quart and a half of oil. The service managertold me this is normal, I don't believe it. Anyone else expierence this? No leaks, no smoke and none in the air filter?

Some are better. A quart in 5K miles is quite normal. Especially if you are running fast.

The dealer probably didn't top off the oil at the 5k service so unless you checked the oil right after the 5k service it's hard to say exactly how much oil you used.

I went though about 3\4 quart from my 1000 mile service to 3200 miles, my oil light came on.
Harley told me that they consider 1 quart per 1000 miles acceptable. I find that hard to believe. If the change interval is 5000. Then you would run out of oil before the oil change if you burnt a quart every 1000 miles.

So I am not the only one with the M8 going thru oil like this?

No- You're not the only one. I'm on my second M8 and both of mine burned/burn oil. Depending on how hot it is and how hard I ride, I'll say about 8-12 ozs. every 1K.

Harley's are awesome.:(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clive Miller