Oil Mixing Question

FLHX4Me

Jun 15, 2015
Maybe a strange question, but here goes.......I changed the engine oil in my bike yesterday. I use Mobil 1 V-Twin. My bike takes 4 qts (actually 3 1/2). Anyway, I have 1/2 qt. of Mobil One left over, and I want to change my primary oil today. I use Formula + in the primary, which takes 38 ounces, or 1 qt., 6 ounces. My question is this...instead of buying a whole extra qt. of Formula + to get the extra 6 ounces, can I use the extra Mobil One oil I have left over, and mix it with the Formula + to top off the primary? Will it "mix" OK, or would that be a no-no?

A general rule is; do not mix different types or brands of motor oils together. The additives used in different types and brands sometimes do not react well together. They can create sludge-like or gooey coagulations that won’t flow well through the oil passages in your engine or transmission.

This is a reason that many who are mechanically inclined will pick a motor oil and stick with it. Also, when deciding to change from one brand to another, the more anal amoung us will run the new brand for 200 miles and then change the oil again. This will ensure that all of the old brand has been completely flushed out.

Just my opinion.

If both oils are approved for a wet clutch, mix them.

If you develop an oil leak in your primary and you are 200 miles from home and can't find the same type of oil you are using, you going to tow the bike home, of course not. You will top off with what is available.

Mix them and don't worry.

Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taz107