Rear shocks search

BlkDragon

Jul 20, 2015
I am looking to upgrade my rear shocks next, I currently have FLHXS shocks but they are not working well and getting beat up badly even after trying numerous adjustments. :confused:

I read great reviews on Ohlins rear shocks and HD-022 13" is what some of you are using from FuelMoto but I can't seem to find it on their website (never mind, found it :))? Any info on it is greatly appreciated. When I order Ohlins do I give total weight riding Solo & 2 up with tour pak...????

Thanks much!

Last edited:
I got my ohlins from Peter at computracboston.com. I called him and went over everything he needed and he also showed me how to make sure I got the best price. Excellent customer service!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

After a 4300 mile trip from Cali to Sturgis the PAIN made me decide to skip the exhaust upgrade and get Legend Rev-A for the Rears. I highly recommend. I am 185 lbs so My setting is 1 of 4, (2 of 4 with wifie). This year I did a 2700 mile trip to Montana with the Legends with much relief. The rear shock will solve 65% of the ****ty ride. The other 35% is the front stiffness. That is my next mod - but again it takes HD's' for the HD.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/legend-suspension-revo-a-coil-shocks-for-harley-touring-2000-2018
Also the shocks are manufactured in SD and have life time warranty.

I got my ohlins from Peter at computracboston.com. I called him and went over everything he needed and he also showed me how to make sure I got the best price. Excellent customer service!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Which Ohlins did you ended with? How are the shocks? As good as Peter's customer service?

Thanks!

Called Computracboston.com and they will be out from Friday until 23rd.....so I will try again tomorrow....

Last edited:
After a 4300 mile trip from Cali to Sturgis the PAIN made me decide to skip the exhaust upgrade and get Legend Rev-A for the Rears. I highly recommend. I am 185 lbs so My setting is 1 of 4, (2 of 4 with wifie). This year I did a 2700 mile trip to Montana with the Legends with much relief. The rear shock will solve 65% of the ****ty ride. The other 35% is the front stiffness. That is my next mod - but again it takes HD's' for the HD.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/legend-suspension-revo-a-coil-shocks-for-harley-touring-2000-2018

I installed the Legend Rev-A on the rear of my 14 SG this past summer. I have put over 4,800 miles since the install . I have the them set at 2 of 4, I'm 240 lbs, I ride solo. I don't have to dodge the bumps in the road anymore. This is the best mod that I have done to my bike.

Legend Rev-A is around $900.....quite a bit for a pair of shocks. How are they compare to HD022 or HD773 shocks? if they are about the same then I will just get Ohlins......

I also found Fox Shox makes a pair for Harley touring......I have used Fox shox's on my mountain bikes and they are excellent shocks, now I am seeing them on off road vehicles all over.....anyone has them on their SG/RG's?

I don't mind paying but I don't want to be disappointed and have to do it all over again.....that's why I am asking questions, searching all over before making my purchase.

I'm seriously considering replacing my back shocks on 2017 SGS, ride is too stiff for me at 180lbs, regardless of shock setting. I have two other bikes, Indian Vintage and Victory XCT, and when I sit on either of these bikes I feel both the rear shocks and front forks compress slightly. When I sit on the SGS, nothing compresses, it's like sitting on a rock.

My questions are if you replace the back shocks, should you also replace the front fork internals as well? Do they need to be tuned together or are there handling considerations that need to be considered when replacing just the back shocks?

Based on my initial research I'm thinking of replacing back shocks with Olins HD-022. But I do notice that one of the sites has a combo pack which includes the Olins back shocks and front fork internals.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

I installed the Legend Rev-A on the rear of my 14 SG this past summer. I have put over 4,800 miles since the install . I have the them set at 2 of 4, I'm 240 lbs, I ride solo. I don't have to dodge the bumps in the road anymore. This is the best mod that I have done to my bike.

We too get nothing but rave reviews from our customers that choose to go with the Legend Revo Shocks. Great thing about these is that they are available in either an adjustable (REVO-A) or a non-adjustbable (REVO) version. The non-adjustable are a bit more easy on the pocketbook while the adjustable's are premium-priced. Below are links both on our website and keep in mind that we do offer Forum pricing on these...just give us a call at (704) 255-1781.

https://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/shop/legend-suspension-revo-shocks-harley-davidson/

https://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/shop/legend-suspension-revo-a-adjustable-shocks-harley-davidson/

Hope this helps!!

Lindsey :0)

Guys.....please give me more info on how it performs after upgrade and include what all is needed to ride solo and with passenger.....what I am looking for is easy quick setting for solo/2 up. I carpool with my wife so when I ride my bike to drop her off I set my suspension for 2 up.

Today on my way to work/home I was hitting bumps so hard I was ready to pay whatever the price to get my suspension upgraded. I also notice front suspension need attention.....if you all have info on both front/rear that would be great.

Thank you!

So what options on the RevA did y'all go with: 12 or 13 inch and Standard or Heavy Duty?

The length of shock is ultimately going to depend on what you do to the front. If you are keeping everything at the stock height, then you will want to go with the OEM height on the rear which is likely a 12" if you are riding a Street Glide.

As for Standard / Heavy-Duty Spring...this ultimately will depend on the overall load weight of the bike that you ride most of the time. A typical rule of thumb is that if you are below 400lbs (between rider / passenger / luggage) you'll want a Standard Spring. If you are 400lbs+ then you want to consider the Heavy-Duty. That said, we sell a decent number of shocks and I rarely see folks go with Heavy-Duty but some do if they are over this 400lbs threshold most of the time that they ride.

Hope this helps!!

The length of shock is ultimately going to depend on what you do to the front. If you are keeping everything at the stock height, then you will want to go with the OEM height on the rear which is likely a 12" if you are riding a Street Glide.

As for Standard / Heavy-Duty Spring...this ultimately will depend on the overall load weight of the bike that you ride most of the time. A typical rule of thumb is that if you are below 400lbs (between rider / passenger / luggage) you'll want a Standard Spring. If you are 400lbs+ then you want to consider the Heavy-Duty. That said, we sell a decent number of shocks and I rarely see folks go with Heavy-Duty but some do if they are over this 400lbs threshold most of the time that they ride.

Hope this helps!!

Lindsey, thanks so much for the good info on the shocks.....now I need info on how quickly can a rider change settings and what all needs to be done (removing saddlebags to get to adjustments) to adjust settings from solo to 2 up? I am looking to see if it's justifiable to pay that amount or not....I hear riders saying good things about different shocks but not one has every break it down on what I need to know...like how smooth it rides when riding over the bumps solo/2 up. Now I am feeling every bit of all bumps and my back is about ready to give out..... :-( It got to me to the point I don't want to ride my bike as often as I like to......

I think most of the shocks have adjustments however saddlebags have to be removed....which is a real pain in the rear......for my situation as I drop my wife off at vanpool spot then I have to remove both saddlebags to adjust for solo then on my way home do the same......that's something I am trying to avoid.....but if no other way then I have to really think about spending crazy money on shocks.

Lindsey, thanks so much for the good info on the shocks.....now I need info on how quickly can a rider change settings and what all needs to be done (removing saddlebags to get to adjustments) to adjust settings from solo to 2 up? I am looking to see if it's justifiable to pay that amount or not....I hear riders saying good things about different shocks but not one has every break it down on what I need to know...like how smooth it rides when riding over the bumps solo/2 up. Now I am feeling every bit of all bumps and my back is about ready to give out..... :-( It got to me to the point I don't want to ride my bike as often as I like to......

I think most of the shocks have adjustments however saddlebags have to be removed....which is a real pain in the rear......for my situation as I drop my wife off at vanpool spot then I have to remove both saddlebags to adjust for solo then on my way home do the same......that's something I am trying to avoid.....but if no other way then I have to really think about spending crazy money on shocks.

You are most certainly welcome, glad to help! The REVO-A Shocks feature a hand-adjustable knob (no tools needed) that allows you to fine-tune the shocks via 6 adjustments. That said, you would have to unhook the bags so you would reach the knob to make the adjustment, unless you have very teeny-tiny hands.

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 1.15.50 PM.png

To throw another thing for you to think about...if you didn't want to remove the bag, I'd encourage you to look at the Progressive 970s. Like the Revo'As I've heard great things about the ride plus they are adjustable while the bags are on the bike. The link below will take you there where you can read more. Bad thing, they are definitely premium priced so in my experience, price cautious folks opt to the Revo-As but are happy customers either way.

01.jpg

https://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/shop/progressive-suspension-970-series-shocks-harley-davidson/

Hope this helps and provides some other options to consider!!

Last edited:
Guys.....please give me more info on how it performs after upgrade and include what all is needed to ride solo and with passenger.....what I am looking for is easy quick setting for solo/2 up. I carpool with my wife so when I ride my bike to drop her off I set my suspension for 2 up.

Today on my way to work/home I was hitting bumps so hard I was ready to pay whatever the price to get my suspension upgraded. I also notice front suspension need attention.....if you all have info on both front/rear that would be great.

Thank you!

Post #23 might answer you question

http://www.roadglide.org/50-suspensions/155545-legend-revo-review-3.html

Hope this helps!!

Yes, it is a Street Glide. I have heard people talk about putting 13's on. Same size the Ultras use, I believe, so I wasn't sure. Sounds like I would go with the standard.

Thanks

You are most certainly welcome, glad to help! The REVO-A Shocks feature a hand-adjustable knob (no tools needed) that allows you to fine-tune the shocks via 6 adjustments. That said, you would have to unhook the bags so you would reach the knob to make the adjustment, unless you have very teeny-tiny hands.

View attachment 13693

To throw another thing for you to think about...if you didn't want to remove the bag, I'd encourage you to look at the Progressive 970s. Like the Revo'As I've heard great things about the ride plus they are adjustable while the bags are on the bike. The link below will take you there where you can read more. Bad thing, they are definitely premium priced so in my experience, price cautious folks opt to the Revo-As but are happy customers either way.

View attachment 13694

https://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/shop/progressive-suspension-970-series-shocks-harley-davidson/

Hope this helps and provides some other options to consider!!

Lindsey, trying to send you PM but your mailbox is full.... :)

I'm using the longer travel Ohlins 773 13" shocks. They do not use up valuable internal space for stroke length with adjustable valves. In this application more stroke is needed. Five inches of suspension would be good for a street motorcycle in general, but a stock Street glide has only two inches.

The Ohlins shocks have been professionally tuned on a shock dynamometer for our application and work great. Various spring rates are available based on the load you carry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith