Rear shocks search

I'm using the longer travel Ohlins 773 13" shocks. They do not use up valuable internal space for stroke length with adjustable valves or gas separating pistons. In this application more stroke is needed. Five inches of suspension would be good for a street motorcycle in general, but a stock Street glide has only two inches.

The Ohlins shocks have been professionally tuned on a shock dynamometer for our application and work great. Various spring rates are available based on the load you carry.

So why did you choose the Ohlins 773's instead of the HD-022's? I think the 773's are a couple hundred more expensive, right? Does the divided piston make that much of a difference?

I am going with Legend Revo-A 13" for the rear and AXEO front suspension....

I went to a bike fest today and boy I was had it with my bike suspension....if Legend suspension was there today among all the vendors I would have swap them out today. I notice front suspension was diving badly so going to get both done the same time.....

So why did you choose the Ohlins 773's instead of the HD-022's? I think the 773's are a couple hundred more expensive, right? Does the divided piston make that much of a difference?

The HD-022's are an older model. The 773's are a new design with a larger diameter cylinder rod. The 022's do not have a piston to divide or separate the oil and air in the shock. They are an emulsion shock with 3 5/8" of stroke.

Last edited:
The HD-022's are an older model. The 773's are a new design with a larger diameter cylinder rod. The 773's do not have a piston to divide or separate the oil and air in the shock. They are an emulsion shock with 3 5/8" of stroke.

Hmmm... everywhere I've read says the 773 is a divided piston shock:

"HD 773 Ohlins Blackline Shocks for Harley FLH/FLT Touring 1990-Newer. This shock is a 13" shock that fits HD Touring Motorcycles 1990 to current years. This is Ohlins new Blackline series shock. It still has the Ohlins quality in a new black style. It is a single-tube dividing piston pressurizing system (gas & oil do not mix) shock with pre-load adjustability. Factory shocks are 13" for HD Touring bikes EXCEPT 2006-2016 Street Glides which are 12". This shock does not have adjustable damping and can not be adjusted in height."

Hmmm... everywhere I've read says the 773 is a divided piston shock

You are correct. Only the older 022 13" shock is an emulsion type.

Here are three 13" Ohlins Shocks to compare (info from Ohlins web site).

773.jpg022.jpg772.jpg

I corrected my mistake in the post below.

Save some money and look at Suspension Technologies.

If you need technical questions answered, call Mike Alex, at 727-233-3610....he designed them and also rides.

Ken

Save some money and look at Suspension Technologies.

If you need technical questions answered, call Mike Alex, at 727-233-3610....he designed them and also rides.

Ken

Can't find this Suspension Technologies anywhere.....if you have their website please include here so we can check them out....thanks!

Thanks.....

I am not sold on shelling out quite a bit of money on any brand but after searching and chatting with few people I am kind of leaning on Legend for the fact that their product is lifetime warranty and the people behind those products really stand behind them.

I sure like to see someone do a real life test on all brands like Love Jugs......I know that everyone switching from OEM to any upgraded suspension will have better feelings but not actually comparing the rest will not know the truth on which one actually works best.

I think I will swap my front suspension with Legend AEXO then see with CVO rear adjustable shocks I have on now actually perform well if not I will switch to Revo-A shocks for the rear.

You are correct. Only the older 022 13" shock is an emulsion type.

Here are three 13" Ohlins Shocks to compare (info from Ohlins web site).

View attachment 13695View attachment 13696View attachment 13697

I corrected my mistake in the post below.

Ok, so based on the specs in the pics, you decided it was worth the approx $200 extra for the 773's to get the divided piston and slightly longer stroke (piston diameter is the same). Anything else go into your decision? Thanks.

What about air shocks? I talked to a HD service tech yesterday and he recommended the HD 54635-09 air shocks, said they have installed a few for people that didn't like the stock 2017 SGS suspension. Said that even though the shocks online say they only fit through 2016, that they fit the 2017's too. The price is right on them for sure. Anyone have experience with these?

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/profile-low-shocks-pa-03-5463509--1

Last edited:
What about air shocks? I talked to a HD service tech yesterday and he recommended the HD 54635-09 air shocks, said they have installed a few for people that didn't like the stock 2017 SGS suspension. Said that even though the shocks online say they only fit through 2016, that they fit the 2017's too. The price is right on them for sure. Anyone have experience with these?

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/profile-low-shocks-pa-03-5463509--1

Mine came with air shocks and I am not happy with them at all so I moved to CVO adjustable coil spring shocks.....if you don't mine keeping air pump with you and keep adjusting it then that's what you want. If you really want air suspension look at Legend products....they are pricey but much better quality made. But I don't care for air suspension until someone engineered with brass/stainless steel lines.....the flex lines they use now are too easy to crack/pinch/melt/etc.....don't want any problems while travelling on a long rides.

Mine came with air shocks and I am not happy with them at all so I moved to CVO adjustable coil spring shocks.....if you don't mine keeping air pump with you and keep adjusting it then that's what you want. If you really want air suspension look at Legend products....they are pricey but much better quality made. But I don't care for air suspension until someone engineered with brass/stainless steel lines.....the flex lines they use now are too easy to crack/pinch/melt/etc.....don't want any problems while travelling on a long rides.

Good info, thanks. In terms of "keep adjusting them", do you mean they slowly leak out so you have to keep adding air, or you have to adjust every time you change from 1-up to 2-up, add baggage, etc? Because if it's the latter, don't you have to keep adjusting for this as well with regular shocks? Plus, isn't the adjustment pump hose for air shocks accessible without taking off the bag?

I also have a Victory XCT with stock air shocks. They are adjusted from a single air port under a side panel, so no bag removal. I probably adjust them once a year or so, but have them set where they are comfortable for both one and two-up. I'm really looking for a shock I can set and forget on the SGS, regardless of 1 or 2 up. I kind of think that's the intent when you fill out the questionnaire sheet purchasing shocks online, they want to set it on a setting that you use for all situations, right? I think that's why they ask you how often you ride 2 up, and if you have a luggage rack, so they can set it on an average setting.

Good info, thanks. In terms of "keep adjusting them", do you mean they slowly leak out so you have to keep adding air, or you have to adjust every time you change from 1-up to 2-up, add baggage, etc? Because if it's the latter, don't you have to keep adjusting for this as well with regular shocks? Plus, isn't the adjustment pump hose for air shocks accessible without taking off the bag?

I also have a Victory XCT with stock air shocks. They are adjusted from a single air port under a side panel, so no bag removal. I probably adjust them once a year or so, but have them set where they are comfortable for both one and two-up. I'm really looking for a shock I can set and forget on the SGS, regardless of 1 or 2 up. I kind of think that's the intent when you fill out the questionnaire sheet purchasing shocks online, they want to set it on a setting that you use for all situations, right? I think that's why they ask you how often you ride 2 up, and if you have a luggage rack, so they can set it on an average setting.

They leak out and have to adjust for 2 up and extra weight for full bags/pak.....one thing good as you stated is you don't have to remove bag to pump air. I was told that Legend suspension once you have dialed in unless you have fully packed your bike for long trip you never have to readjust suspension for solo/2 up.....and if you have to for whatever reason just a dial knobs you have to adjust....but have to lean bags though.

I am somewhat disappointed with Harley for not using better suspension for the kind of money they are asking for these bikes. Touring bikes should all be equipped with better suspension (front/rear) for all sorts of riding. Lately I have been watching closely to other Harley touring bikes when I am on the road and I see almost all of them with 2 up bouncing over bumps, and everyone of those bikes are equipped with stock suspension.

I am dropping my bike off next week to have Legend AXEO front suspension installed as most of the performance riding comes from the front so I will start with that....if I feel the bike rides much different then I will definitely swap out the rears....;)

Last edited:
Well I ended up going with the Super Shox. Difference for me was that it's hand adjustable with a scale on the shock, so easy to change for 2-up without a tool. Plus lots of good reviews out there. Talked to Bryan at SS and he said at 185# I should go with the 12-4's, but there was a set of 12-3's on ebay at a great price, and they have the standard spring for 200#+ which I figured would work for me on a lower preload setting (the chart they provide shows that a setting at 0-1 is for about 180#).

Got them today and installed in about 20mins. Bryan said the 12-3's would be a bit too stiff for me at my weight, and he's probably right, although I think I'm right in the gray area between the two models, and I figured that this would be better than going with the light spring version and having to crank the preload for my weight and crank it further for 2-up.

After installation I sat on the bike and it did still feel pretty stiff although a bit more flex than stock 2017 SGS shocks. However after riding I do notice a significant difference, the bumps are handled much better with the new shocks than stock. So overall I'm happy with the purchase.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith