Removing HD from tank.

09 Softail C

Jan 8, 2017
Anyone ever remove the Harley Davidson name off their tank? Looking for an easy, clean way. Thinking of taking fishing line and running it up and down to cut the double sided tape. Than I'm not sure what will cut the glue on the remaining tape.

I have used fishing line to cut thru the double sided tape. take care to keep the fishing line close to the harley davidson name so the fishing line does not rub the paint and cause some scratches. After that, you can use your finger and rub the remaining tape off or use something lysol cleaning towels or WD 40 or even 409. After you get the reminants of the tape off, be sure to clean the area good and wax it.

82f6fb52f34d2acf27ccde207bdb502b.jpg

Just do it....i just heat gun dental floss wd40 then polish

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Yeah

Yeah

Yup, just like RustyBoltz said and how Higsn said a couple of weeks ago in a thread.

About a week ago, after seeing Higsn's posted photo and reading what he said about it, I used a heat gun to warm up the Harley emblem and then fishing line to lift it off. Most of the goo left behind rubbed off with my finger. I used a microfiber towel and small amounts of Goo-Gone to get the rest off. Then I cleaned the tank of any residue Goo-Gone, then waxed it. Be sure to wash the tank before you start the process so that you are not rubbing any grit into the tank when you're trying to get he emblem off.
Seat1.jpg

Last edited:
I thought about doing it too but I ride pretty aggressively and tend to grip the tank with my knees in hard cornering.
I think the emblem is saving my paint...

Thanks will check out lrs was thinking about a windvest

And what is that chrome bit behind the passenger foot peg?

And what is that chrome bit behind the passenger foot peg?

You’re pretty observant. Those are Kuryakn Retractable Passenger Pegs. I think they would be better named “Passenger Retractable Highway Pegs” because they provide a second foot position for the passenger. They swing back out of the way when not in use. My wife likes having them on longer rides, but if we’re around town then we don’t roll them forward because if I’m not careful when I put my foot down then they can hit the back of my calf.

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/3883/retractable-passenger-pegs

Last edited:
Aahhh....we are pretty set in our ways. I just put on floorboards from an ultra for the wife

And sorry to hi jack the thread...just like seeing whats going on

I removed both sides. Tried both fishing line and dental floss. Seemed to work equally but I stayed with the floss as it is waxed and safer for paint. The double sided tape I carefully peeled off quite easily. The glue left came right off with a secret product.
b9f7eb0d080d0ca774297ff77380f39a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Those front fork reflectors come off the same way.....i always pull them off first thing. Some leave them on for visability or for the lawman

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith