Right rear shock is upside down

17Blackglide

May 23, 2017
That’s right. The geniuses at the factory installed the right rear shock upside down. I heard there was a recall on it. They claim that it will not make any ride difference, but I am going to take mine in and get it swapped around. Maybe that it why my ass is always getting spanked when I hit a little bump or expansion joint. What a PITA literally!

That’s right. The geniuses at the factory installed the right rear shock upside down. I heard there was a recall on it. They claim that it will not make any ride difference, but I am going to take mine in and get it swapped around. Maybe that it why my ass is always getting spanked when I hit a little bump or expansion joint. What a PITA literally!

Doesn't affect the already harsh ride but won't matter until you add a 4 point hitch.:confused:

Dealer are saying that was no mistake, that they were doing that deliberately because they found that with one of the shocks inverted, they were finding better rebound. Is that B.S. or is there some truth to that ?

I turned mine around myself. Have a 4 point docking system and its a tight fit but still works when installing and taking off the passenger backrest. I would think a 25k motorcycle would have a better factory suspension than my Yamaha road star which I paid 6k for. That was a Cadillac ride compared to SGS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does adjust the rebound dampening a bit, but it is a short 12 shock so that's the harsh ride. some people switch to the 13 of the limited. Most people don't adjust the shock for the weight and riding style either. I'm very aggressive and it works fine for me (I re-did the front with valves and upgraded oil). I have to adjust it before I put my wife on.

Also, it needs to be upside down for the 4 point docking station.

I turned mine around myself. Have a 4 point docking system and its a tight fit but still works when installing and taking off the passenger backrest. I would think a 25k motorcycle would have a better factory suspension than my Yamaha road star which I paid 6k for. That was a Cadillac ride compared to SGS.

JM1979- just remember, the Streetglide is setup at a lower ride height than the Ultra and that comes as less travel in the suspension. The ride does suck and the 2017 hype that its better than the 2016 was pretty much false. However for me-It's not worth close to $1,000 to improve it with after market parts.

JM1979- just remember, the Streetglide is setup at a lower ride height than the Ultra and that comes as less travel in the suspension. The ride does suck and the 2017 hype that its better than the 2016 was pretty much false. However for me-It's not worth close to $1,000 to improve it with after market parts.
I would get sharp pains through my spine when hitting bumps or just crossing bridges on the freeway. I installed 13" Harley premium shocks which were an improvement for half a season then got Ohlins built for my bike ($615) which are better. I don't have to be as prepared for bumps as I used to be (still gun shy), I haven't had a painful spine hit in 2-1/2 seasons now so I'd say they are working.
If I buy a new bike I'm going to order better shocks as one of the first upgrades.

I stopped by the local jap bike shop recently and saw a 2017 used Streetglide just like mine for sale there. It struck me as odd to see it there, but now I am wondering if the guy ditched it due to the harsh ride. I hate spending anymore money on this bike to get it right. My 11 Streetglide rode like a Cadillac. Harley screwed up on these new shocks big time.

I am sure there were many test riders mentioned about suspension when Rushmore project was going on but HD never really engineered a better suspension or that was what they came up with as upgraded suspension.....but I think they did not do a great job as far as suspension on these high $$$$$ machines. Since there are so many aftermarket suspension companies out there HD should learn something from them or use some of their suspensions to make touring bikes better.

I am pleased with swapping out my front with Legend AXEO, I ride my bike more now than before since I am not getting sharp pain in my back when I hit bumps like before. I will be swapping out the rears soon with Legend.

I would get sharp pains through my spine when hitting bumps or just crossing bridges on the freeway. I installed 13" Harley premium shocks which were an improvement for half a season then got Ohlins built for my bike ($615) which are better. I don't have to be as prepared for bumps as I used to be (still gun shy), I haven't had a painful spine hit in 2-1/2 seasons now so I'd say they are working.
If I buy a new bike I'm going to order better shocks as one of the first upgrades.

Which Ohlins did you get?

I’m Going for the Ohlins HD 772 (Blackline 13” rear shock) for my 2015 SGS. Same as the popular HD 159 shock but just in all black. Anyone own those shocks on their glide?

I’m Going for the Ohlins HD 772 (Blackline 13” rear shock) for my 2015 SGS. Same as the popular HD 159 shock but just in all black. Anyone own those shocks on their glide?

Yes, I have the 13” on my 2016 SGS. I put them on along with Ohlins front cartridges about 5 months ago. The ride is great. Got out for a short ride last week with my buddy. He has a 2017 Limited. We swapped bikes for about 10miles so that he could check out the 110 build that I just completed. He said, “ The 110 turned out great, but holy crap the suspension on this bike is fantastic!” So much for impressing him with my engine build.

Yes, I have the 13” on my 2016 SGS. I put them on along with Ohlins front cartridges about 5 months ago. The ride is great. Got out for a short ride last week with my buddy. He has a 2017 Limited. We swapped bikes for about 10miles so that he could check out the 110 build that I just completed. He said, “ The 110 turned out great, but holy crap the suspension on this bike is fantastic!” So much for impressing him with my engine build.

Nice! Just ordered the Ohlins HD772 13" shocks today. Should be here by the middle of next week. Can you see the 1" stance difference? Or feel the difference at a stop. I've got a street glide with OEM 12" shocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice! Just ordered the Ohlins HD772 13" shocks today. Should be here by the middle of next week. Can you see the 1" stance difference? Or feel the difference at a stop. I've got a street glide with OEM 12" shocks.

Curious to know this as well...

I don’t notice any change in the “look” and nobody has ever mentioned it. I did notice A little height difference at first, but it quickly became normal. I’m just shy of 5’10” with a 31” inseam, and I can go both feet flat. I only use the left foot down when stopping and it is always completely flat. The extra inch makes a big difference in how well the suspension works.

I don’t notice any change in the “look” and nobody has ever mentioned it. I did notice A little height difference at first, but it quickly became normal. I’m just shy of 5’10” with a 31” inseam, and I can go both feet flat. I only use the left foot down when stopping and it is always completely flat. The extra inch makes a big difference in how well the suspension works.

That's good to hear... I'm around the same height with a 32" inseam. The stock shocks were jarring on decent bumps. I'm sure this will be a huge step in the right direction.

That's good to hear... I'm around the same height with a 32" inseam. The stock shocks were jarring on decent bumps. I'm sure this will be a huge step in the right direction.

Yeah, it was the same for me, jackhammer bumps. It’s a completely different bike now. I know it’s really expensive, but if you can afford their front cartridges at some point then you’ll love those too.

Last edited:

Forgot to ask will the ohlins shocks mount right side up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdsmojo