Right side runs uncomfortably hot

Fuming

Jun 16, 2015
Hi guys,

I picked up a barely used 2014 SGS a few months ago. I ride it every chance I get :) Which unfortunately, hasn't been too much with all this rain in Chicagoland.

Often times, there is a lot of heat coming up on my right leg. Sometimes it's so hot, I'm looking down checking for flames or smoke.

Is that typical? Any suggestions?

Are there any upgrades that would help with the heat? Would upgraded air filter or new pipes help it run cooler?

(I do not know much mechanically speaking.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the world of Harley motors! That heat is normal...I'm surprised I don't have singed doo-dads from it haha - sitting in traffic can be a tad warm.
They have air deflectors and such and I've read that some for the body (the bikes body, not yours) do help some in deflecting the heat away from you, but I"ve never tried them. I have seen posts of them on this site though - you might want to try searching...or someone may chime in here.

Sounds like you still have the stock head pipe with the cat in it. You can either replace the head pipe with a aftermarket one that won't have a cat or decat the stock head pipe. Have the cat in there creates a lot of heat.

you can also cut the spark off to the rear cylinder,at idle, by pushing the information button on the right side grip and scrolling down to the bottom which has a bunch of letters , can't remember which, and highlight it and make it enabled and that should help a little but as has been mentioned mid-frame air deflectors and getting rid of the cat with a proper tune should make the most difference

Hi guys,

I picked up a barely used 2014 SGS a few months ago. I ride it every chance I get :) Which unfortunately, hasn't been too much with all this rain in Chicagoland.

Often times, there is a lot of heat coming up on my right leg. Sometimes it's so hot, I'm looking down checking for flames or smoke.

Is that typical? Any suggestions?

Are there any upgrades that would help with the heat? Would upgraded air filter or new pipes help it run cooler?

(I do not know much mechanically speaking.)

A stage 1 engine upgrade will get more air flowing through the engine and possibly cool it a bit. Yes Harleys are air cooled and as such the heat has to dissipate from the engine cooling fins. To do its job the catalytic converter has to run at a certain temperature and all combined produce a lot of heat especially if the bike is stopped or at slow speed. Some folks invest in an aftermarket head pipe (as suggested above by Bryan) which effectively eliminates the cat and the bike runs quite a bit cooler. Running synthetic lubricants such as Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, and others will also reduce heat a bit

Last edited:
As mentioned, heat deflectors work awesome! But, if you want to eliminate the heat, and add performance, go with a cat less, ceramic coated header pipe. I went with a Fuel Moto plasma steel ceramic, for $399. Other manufacturers, such as Fullsak or Rush, also offer ceramic coated headers.

As mentioned, heat deflectors work awesome! But, if you want to eliminate the heat, and add performance, go with a cat less, ceramic coated header pipe. I went with a Fuel Moto plasma steel ceramic, for $399. Other manufacturers, such as Fullsak or Rush, also offer ceramic coated headers.

+1 on the ceramic head pipe and heat deflectors
!

I would want to keep the chrome look. Do ceramic coated headers come chrome, black only, or do you use chrome pipe covers?

The fuel Moto pipe mentioned above uses the stock chrome covers, and I'm sure the others do as well.

The fuel Moto pipe mentioned above uses the stock chrome covers, and I'm sure the others do as well.

Another nice thing about the FM head pipe ( and others as well) it has mandrel bends which promote smooth exhaust gas flow

you can also cut the spark off to the rear cylinder,at idle, by pushing the information button on the right side grip and scrolling down to the bottom which has a bunch of letters , can't remember which, and highlight it and make it enabled and that should help a little but as has been mentioned mid-frame air deflectors and getting rid of the cat with a proper tune should make the most difference

The Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) shuts off the rear jug to reduce heat once the engine reaches a specific temp. It's normally enabled at the factory but mine shut off one day , seemingly by itself. When you push the Info button on the right side controls EITMS will either show "Enabled" or "Disabled". When it has shutdown the rear jug it changes to "Active". You will notice a change in the sound of the engine too. Check the owners manual on how to turn it on/off. I don't remember how off the top of my head but its easy.

I would second the point about getting cat-less headers. I put the V&H Dresser Duals on mine and noticed a change right away.

The Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) shuts off the rear jug to reduce heat once the engine reaches a specific temp. It's normally enabled at the factory but mine shut off one day , seemingly by itself. When you push the Info button on the right side controls EITMS will either show "Enabled" or "Disabled". When it has shutdown the rear jug it changes to "Active". You will notice a change in the sound of the engine too. Check the owners manual on how to turn it on/off. I don't remember how off the top of my head but its easy.

I would second the point about getting cat-less headers. I put the V&H Dresser Duals on mine and noticed a change right away.
You are correct on this. I've disabled my EITMS even though I live in super HOT Florida, like others I just don't trust it.

To enable or disable EITMS: With the bike ON (running) and stopped, twist the throttle forward (away from you) and hold for 3 to 5 seconds. The cruise control light on the instrument cluster will flash a few times. If it flashes GREEN, EITMS has been ENABLED, if it flashes ORANGE, EITMS has been DISABLED. You can also double check whether or not you enabled or disabled it via the INFO button on the stereo.

P.S. The twisting of the throttle away from you will also cancel your current cruise control speed if you have it active. Much like tapping the brakes or pulling the clutch in will do. Didn't find that out until about 2 months ago lol

Sent from my phone.

Last edited:
You are correct on this. I've disabled my EITMS even though I live in super HOT Florida, like others I just don't trust it.

Sent from my phone.

I didn't know people weren't trusting it. Any particular reason, just for my own curiosity?

I didn't know people weren't trusting it. Any particular reason, just for my own curiosity?
For me, it's the same reason I never trusted AFM on newer model year Silverados. Have heard of the AFM system causing oil to get into the combustion chamber while those cylinders were deactivated, then when reactivated it would cause that oil to burn and be consumed by the engine. I opted for a smaller 4.8 engine at the time for the sole reason that it didn't have the AFM system on it.

Supposedly it was supposed to increase fuel mileage, but when folks would disable it with a tuner, they actually reported BETTER fuel economy while all cylinders were active all the time. And the engine stopped consuming that oil. No idea why GM still implements it.

Sent from my phone.

To enable or disable EITMS: With the bike ON (running) and stopped, twist the throttle forward (away from you) and hold for 3 to 5 seconds. The cruise control light on the instrument cluster will flash a few times. If it flashes GREEN, EITMS has been ENABLED, if it flashes ORANGE, EITMS has been DISABLED. You can also double check whether or not you enabled or disabled it via the INFO button on the stereo.

P.S. The twisting of the throttle away from you will also cancel your current cruise control speed if you have it active. Much like tapping the brakes or pulling the clutch in will do. Didn't find that out until about 2 months ago lol

Sent from my phone.

Thats why I frequent this site always something to learn. Thanks. Hevyrockerdk

More than likely, heat coming from the RIGHT side is from the cat. When my engine is hot while in heavy traffic I get heat all over. Before I decatted my pipes, I had set my briefcase about 6 inches from the right side of the bike. The handle is gel filled and within 3 minutes I reached down to grab it and the gel in the handle was so hot I could barely hold on to it. I decatted the pipes that weekend and haven't had the heat issues emanating from that side again.

Being new to all things Harley.. I'm curious about the EITMS. it's been enabled since I got the bike. Like HeavyRocker, I live in Hotlando and it kicks on after a few minutes .. I've stalled a couple times because of it.. (And inexperience I'm sure). At what temperature does engine damage occurred? I'm wondering if it's needed to be enabled . Tbt. The sound annoys me and does no sound healthy. Dealer thinks it's the best thing since sex but couldn't really answer why.. figured some old timers here will have an answer or opinion..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Being new to all things Harley.. I'm curious about the EITMS. it's been enabled since I got the bike. Like HeavyRocker, I live in Hotlando and it kicks on after a few minutes .. I've stalled a couple times because of it.. (And inexperience I'm sure). At what temperature does engine damage occurred? I'm wondering if it's needed to be enabled . Tbt. The sound annoys me and does no sound healthy. Dealer thinks it's the best thing since sex but couldn't really answer why.. figured some old timers here will have an answer or opinion..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've had mine off since probably 100 miles in, it hasn't damaged anything yet. It's more of a rider comfort thing than anything, I think. (Which from what I can tell doesn't really actually do much of anything for heat mitigation.)

I think it might have stalled my bike out once. I was stopped at a red light waiting to go, and when it turned green, I blipped the throttle to turn off the EITMS. When I did that, all I heard was a quick pop, and then the engine cut off. That night I turned EITMS completely off.

Sent from my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peeta407N