Saddlebags bolts/screws/locks

BlkDragon

Jul 20, 2015
I was talking to a guy that told me 6 of his buddies lost (got stolen) their saddlebags from a bike event because they were still using OEM push & lock pins. So I am going to replace mine......what do you all use? My situation is a bit different from all of you, I have to remove my saddlebags every time I return from riding to fit into my garage. So I can't use anything that will take too long or use a tool to remove the bolts. I am thinking about Black Theft Deterrent locks....any suggestions will be great...thanks!

9169M5ZLp1L._SX355_.jpg

What is it about the stock fasteners that allows someone to steal saddlebags? Don't they still have to remove them from the inside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlkDragon, that was my first purchase on the SGS. Mainly to not "lose" a saddlebag in flight. But agree with Happy Glider, they would have a tough time if they were locked right ? Sounds like they weren't.
Not sure why they call them "Black Theft Deterrent lock", they really don't lock anything if its what I have. But do love the knob type screw.

I have the same ones, I only used one on each side. Not only theft, now I know one isn't going to shake loose and slide down the road. Happy glider, if you pull on them hard enough the pins are gonna give. Chris

I just use these picked up at Lowes. Stainless steel and they thread right into the stock fasteners combined with stock washers on my 2017 M8. They're like .80 cents each.
Chances are someone wanting to steal your bags won't have a set of Allen wrenches with them! lol :cool:

Untitled.png

What is it about the stock fasteners that allows someone to steal saddlebags? Don't they still have to remove them from the inside?

I found out all they have to do is use a flat head screw driver and pop the spring tension and bags will fall right off......and I looked and it's that easy to do.

I just use these picked up at Lowes. Stainless steel and they thread right into the stock fasteners combined with stock washers on my 2017 M8. They're like .80 cents each.
Chances are someone wanting to steal your bags won't have a set of Allen wrenches with them! lol :cool:

View attachment 12400

I definitely agree with those however it'll not work with my situation as I will have to have Allen wrench each time I park my bike in my garage.....a bit of a pain......but it's secure for sure.

Here is a video clip of how easy bags can be removed just using a screw driver....hope this will help everyone from getting something else to secure their bags on their bikes.....other than OEM pin locks.

With the threaded back plates on the new Streetglides, pin locks are a thing of the past. But that doesn't mean you can't replace previous years with bolts and threaded back plates as I did on my previous 2014. Since they come with the new 2017's all I had to do was purchase the stainless allen head screws (from my previous post. Cheap hardware at Lowes or Home Depot.:cool:

You could get the 2017 harley Saddle Bag Lever Mount Kit from Harley # 90201540 about $38 from http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline.com/

Post #25 has images
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-rushmore-models/1137236-added-17-bag-mounts-to-my-15-a-3.html

I used what you have posted in your first post.

I looked at and evaluated the set that came on my 2017 and decided they took up way too much room in the saddlebag. They just look so out of place and interfere with items or bag liners.

I've tried 2 different sets of the threaded bolts with a plastic knob on the end so you didn't need a ratchet to take them off. Unfortunately both sets had the knobs either strip on the bolts head or break off, making them useless. 2 of the clips also cracked and broke. I bought a set of bagger bolts and the 2.0 version has stainless steel hardware and a ratchet with it. Good quality construction and most of all, piece of mind. Unfortunately in Canada, our Lowes and Home Depots don't have the selection of bolts, etc you guys get in America.

You could get the 2017 harley Saddle Bag Lever Mount Kit from Harley # 90201540 about $38 from http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline.com/

Post #25 has images
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-rushmore-models/1137236-added-17-bag-mounts-to-my-15-a-3.html

I used what you have posted in your first post.

I will look into HD 2017 model ones.....they look stronger than plastic ones that I ordered....but since I order them from Amazon I have no issue returning them.....heading out to HD and check them out...thanks for the info!

80-image_c05e01b3074b4b0a1ee31617733cfd6c1a5550ed.jpeg

I think the one's I installed are from Reda and they were 20 bucks and well worth it. You should be able to go to a local parts store or a lot of hardware stores carry these products.

WTF? HD shops in my area are selling them for $54

WTF? HD shops in my area are selling them for $54

I can't believe HD shops in my area are selling for $54......:mad:

I've tried 2 different sets of the threaded bolts with a plastic knob on the end so you didn't need a ratchet to take them off. Unfortunately both sets had the knobs either strip on the bolts head or break off, making them useless. 2 of the clips also cracked and broke. I bought a set of bagger bolts and the 2.0 version has stainless steel hardware and a ratchet with it. Good quality construction and most of all, piece of mind. Unfortunately in Canada, our Lowes and Home Depots don't have the selection of bolts, etc you guys get in America.

This was the part number set I used for my 2014 FLHXS Less than $6!
S_BagHdwr.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave