SE Wedge Air Cleaner (with tuner or no tuner?)

NGOT8R

Feb 15, 2015
Will those of you running the Screamin Eagle wedge air cleaner please share your experiences regarding this product? I have done some research on it and some seem to think no tuner is needed, while others say that a tuner is definitely needed. I like the look of the stock setup, but I think the plastic backing plate looks sort of rinky-dink compared to the SE aluminum backing plate. I am open to running a tuner of some sort, although I am not looking for maximum power out of this bike, just the best all around performance possible. FYI, I don't plan on adding a cam or mufflers on this bike. I know Mojo and a coupe of others on here are running this setup. I would love to hear the good, bad and ugly on it. Thanks in advance!

Haven't had a lot of seat time since putting the SE hi-flow on but can give you what I do know.

Good - Very easy install. Eliminating the plastic backing plate really cleans up the look all the while maintaining the stock look. With the Cannons and the tuner feels a bit smoother throttle wise and stronger. No apparent sucking sounds coming from it. Seems to be running a bit cooler as well. The wife will tell if this is in fact the case!

Bad - Not sure if it's bad or not but how it might be if ridden in the rain. Not really planning on doing much of that. If I can help it... A bit pricey for what you get. I bought it from an online HD parts dealer much cheaper that the local shop.

As far as needing a tuner, not really sure. Have heard conflicting info. A buddy of mine has a 2018 RGS and is planning on going without a tuner. Same air cleaner with Rhineharts.

Ugly - Nothing here.

Wish I could have reported out more.

20171202_200557685_iOS.jpg

Haven't had a lot of seat time since putting the SE hi-flow on but can give you what I do know.

Good - Very easy install. Eliminating the plastic backing plate really cleans up the look all the while maintaining the stock look. With the Cannons and the tuner feels a bit smoother throttle wise and stronger. No apparent sucking sounds coming from it. Seems to be running a bit cooler as well. The wife will tell if this is in fact the case!

Bad - Not sure if it's bad or not but how it might be if ridden in the rain. Not really planning on doing much of that. If I can help it... A bit pricey for what you get. I bought it from an online HD parts dealer much cheaper that the local shop.

As far as needing a tuner, not really sure. Have heard conflicting info. A buddy of mine has a 2018 RGS and is planning on going without a tuner. Same air cleaner with Rhineharts.

Ugly - Nothing here.

Wish I could have reported out more.

View attachment 14246

Thank you MKA_5966. That's the kind of information I'm looking for. Did the kit come with a rain sock to help keep the filter dry?

Thank you MKA_5966. That's the kind of information I'm looking for. Did the kit come with a rain sock to help keep the filter dry?

No sock was provided. Might be worth checking if one is available that fits the stock profile. Quite a bit of surface area is exposed to the conditions for sure.

Is the stock cover reused once the screen and rubber edging have been removed? I just tapped on my cover with my knuckle and it sounds like it might be made of plastic.

Last edited:
Is the stock cover reused once the screen and rubber edging have been removed? I just tapped on my cover with my knuckle and it sounds like it might be made of plastic.

It's a metal piece and reused. The kit does come with an SE emblem that velcro's on if you want to replace the 107 emblem.

Last edited:
It's a metal piece and reused. The kit does come with an SE emblem that velcro's on if you want to replace the 107 emblem.

Okay thanks for help MKA_5966. I'll probably bite the bullet and buy the kit soon.

I'm in the camp that says you need a tuner. They run lean stock, and you are pushing more air through there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TokyoPortrait