Some 2017 mug shots

RuknRole

Aug 23, 2016
I thought I'd share some shots of 17s from an unveiling event at my local dealer. I have to say the new engines look pretty sweet!

image_zpspc7qt6gw.jpeg

image_zpsv7jhxhqd.jpeg

It does look good, but did you have them start one up? The motor barely shakes anymore, and it sounds like a Harley had a one night stand with a Honda, and this is their bastard child. All I can say is, I sure hope they sound better with an aftermarket exhaust. The engine is a little narrower, especially on the primary side. The service manager at my local HD shop has rode the SGS they have, he said it does pull hard. And when he was getting on the interstate. With light acceleration, he looked down and was running 85-90mph he said.

Yes some of the guys test rode them and gave the same report. They don't shake as much, run much cooler, and move! Apparantly the new engine took them 5 years to develop, and has some ridiculous number of hours of testing. They started both bikes up and the burgandy with the performance parts sounded great. The stock black sounded like your normal stock SGS.

Last edited:
Update: 2017 Milwaukee 8:
Holy crap!!!! That is one faaaaasst motor! I did a test ride for about 15 miles today on freeway and thru suburbs. This power plant is going to wear out rear tires fast. The torque comes on immediately, forget about the traditional power curve. I even took it down to 25mph in 5th gear w/o any lugging or bucking whatsoever. I could not believe how incredibly powerful this engine is. It was a 91 degree day and any thoughts of hot right thigh never crossed my mind on this non water cooled version.
Some observations though:
The top end motor noise was non existent. The valve train was quiet, the engine seems to run cooler and the stock pipes sounded "traditional" Harley although I couldn't discern the Potata-potata lope at idle which is now 850rpm, down from 1100 on previous motors.
There was very little shake or vibration in the bars but I could feel it coming from the frame up thru the seat and wondered if that would be a problem on a long day in the saddle.
The shift "clunk" was missing in this bike, it was a very solid engagement thru all the gears. Don't get me wrong-you could still hear it engage just not with the traditional "Harley Clunk" we've all come to know.
My current 2014 puts out about 86 HP but it would be no match for this power plant. IF . . . . . I were to buy one of these I doubt I'd do any mods to the engine for my needs but I can only imagine what potential this engine has. Shame they didn't do a few more practical (inexpensive) improvements too like LED lighting all the way around and stop/brake light in the bottom louver fender light for safety and visibility.
If i were grading the 2017 Milwaukee eight on a scale of 1 to 10, I would have to give it a 13-14 !

i rode a road glide 107 today and agree with you everything about the power, tranny shifts,and suspension is a upgrade from my 2015 SGS. It does feel more metric bike refined than the 103s but thats a good thing IMHO the only negative thing i could say about the new motor is it has a tick tick tick sound in the value train that used to get on my nerves on my Triumphs but some slip ons should cure the sound as its on at idle i heard it
Update: 2017 Milwaukee 8:
Holy crap!!!! That is one faaaaasst motor! I did a test ride for about 15 miles today on freeway and thru suburbs. This power plant is going to wear out rear tires fast. The torque comes on immediately, forget about the traditional power curve. I even took it down to 25mph in 5th gear w/o any lugging or bucking whatsoever. I could not believe how incredibly powerful this engine is. It was a 91 degree day and any thoughts of hot right thigh never crossed my mind on this non water cooled version.
Some observations though:
The top end motor noise was non existent. The valve train was quiet, the engine seems to run cooler and the stock pipes sounded "traditional" Harley although I couldn't discern the Potata-potata lope at idle which is now 850rpm, down from 1100 on previous motors.
There was very little shake or vibration in the bars but I could feel it coming from the frame up thru the seat and wondered if that would be a problem on a long day in the saddle.
The shift "clunk" was missing in this bike, it was a very solid engagement thru all the gears. Don't get me wrong-you could still hear it engage just not with the traditional "Harley Clunk" we've all come to know.
My current 2014 puts out about 86 HP but it would be no match for this power plant. IF . . . . . I were to buy one of these I doubt I'd do any mods to the engine for my needs but I can only imagine what potential this engine has. Shame they didn't do a few more practical (inexpensive) improvements too like LED lighting all the way around and stop/brake light in the bottom louver fender light for safety and visibility.
If i were grading the 2017 Milwaukee eight on a scale of 1 to 10, I would have to give it a 13-14 !

I rode one today, they do pull pretty hard, the guy I did a test ride with gave us a spirited ride. The suspension is awesome. There is virtually no nose dive on these at all. the rear shocks look just like the ones on the street glide specials. I guess the only difference in the front is a different cartridge which makes me think this is an upgrade I could do with my bike (2016 SGS).

Test rode one yesterday. Unfortunately the route the dealership made us take only let us get up to about 50 mph. Shifting is very smooth with the redesigned clutch. Engine seems pretty snappy, in the lower gears at least. Doesn't seem to build as much heat with the new oil cooled feature.

Biggest issue was that they only had eight new bikes to begin with and only one Street Glide which was already sold when I got there (one of the Hog members bought it at the private showing the night before!?!). Dealers are saying next shipment won't be until near the end of October. Crappiest rollout that Moco has done in a long time.

I'm real curious how the New Shocks feel on the road !

I changed over to the premium hand adjustable shocks on my '13 awhile back. The rear seemed about the same as those. The front seems to have a little better dampening than older models.

Don't see how the motor can run cooler as no changes were made to the cat, only the water channel in the head.

Put a stage V on your SG and change out cartridges on front, you got a heck of a lot more bike than 2017 that is very strong, I know, my 16 SG with the Stage V is NASTY!!!

The 2016s streetglide and roadglide are on sale for 18,000 here!
[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Bill
www.Streetglide.com

I saw two 2016 CVO with "$4000 off MSRP" tags on them.
I guess some dealers are clearing the 2016s by selling at cost, some by tossing in a big stage upgrade with MSRP purchase, and others by making huge markups on the 2017s.

Don't see how the motor can run cooler as no changes were made to the cat, only the water channel in the head.

Pretty much the whole exhaust has changed including the cat... and that's not the only thing that generates heat- alot more changes to the new engine than just a "water channel." Read up.

Here is my 2017 street glide special the pic with the black bike is my 2014 I traded in image12.jpguntitled.jpgimage3.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77