Stage 2

bulkhead

May 13, 2017
My first 5K service is about due and I'm considering having Stage 2 installed. Have done several searches here and on the internet about the pros and cons of this option. Here's what I've seen discussed;

The new fuel mixture may assist with cooling the engine
Stage 1 has little power increase, Stage 2 additional power is obvious
The exhaust note and rhythm is improved
Will have another break-in period
retains the M8 warranty

Here's why I'm just considering it. I like the existing torque, it's easy to ride, the exhaust note is getting better with some miles, and I'm used to the throttle response. As far as improvements some additional torque and a bit more exhaust sound would be nice.

Do any of ya'll have experience with the Stage 2 who could comment? Appreciate everyone's posting on the forum, it's educational and enjoyable.

I have a 2017 SGS

BH

Bulkhead- I've thought about it too but haven't heard anyone mention the exhaust note changing. Are you still running OEM exhaust?

Mojo, yes all stock. I went from riding a VTX1300 for 10 years to the SGS. The handling and power are worlds above the old Honda.

When I did my stage II the exhaust sounded waaaaaay better, but I also added a set of SE slip-ons. I'd say if you factor that in with the new cam, you'll be pretty happy with the way it sounds. Has a much nicer lope to it with the new cam, and the cannons have a louder and deeper tone when you get on the throttle. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I had a Stage I and recently a Stage IV on my 2017 SGS. The Stage IV has been a bit complicated to assess. It definitely has much more freeway power and speed. Torque seems to be getting better with more miles at the lower RPM range. The cam is lopier. I got the full Screamin Eagle exhaust system and it sounds great. Overall so far I'm happy. In the future I might put her on the dyno to confirm what is going on compared with my seat of the pants assessment. BTW, my local HD shop charged me 10 hours labor time to install the Stage IV as well as several black chrome pieces. I thought that was a very reasonable price.

I did the torque cam. I'm quite happy with it.

If you do it within 60 days it's covered under warranty. You don't need another break in, it's just a cam change.

I'm not sure if the exhaust got louder, but it is lumpy at idle.

You don't gain a lot of torque by the numbers, what you do get is a way better torque curve. Where your stock cam starts to fall off, the new cam keeps pulling. Way more fun to ride IMO.

Ok....I just did my Stage III.....and this is my opinion...

Power - crazy, insane, awesome, incredible, astonishing, amazing...and the list goes on and on.....

Sound - I have a pair of Vance&Hines Hi-Output so the sound is a little bit muffled, but not my much. You can hear the deep rumble, like a guttural monster from the bowels of hell coming for you. You also hear the "almost want to shut off" engine due to the SE8-515 camshaft. The sound is deep and the compression is crazy...you can feel it strong 8 feet behind the pipes. Press the gas and the sound is very strong. You can tell is not a stock motorcycle.

Price - Better have a good job or better go and get one because is very expensive. This is the catch....I don't know your Harley Davidson Parts Department policy....I am here in Orlando, so I know the folks behind the counter in both dealers near my house....I shop for parts at three websites, Surdyke, ShopNewCastle HD, and Boardtracker HD....then I print the page of the parts that I am looking for that is the lowest cost, then I take the print out, confirm on their end that the site is a legitimate HD Authorized Dealer and they will price match or beat the price.....that way, you would potentially save hundreds of dollars...(like I did)....

Evilness Power Addiction Predictor (1 is the lowest, 10 is the highest) - Score is 11.... I say that because more Harley power is addictive. Is like you know you have plenty of it, you feel the power, you get the attention when riding down the road, people turn their heads to look at you, and then, magically, despite all that.....you crave for more power.....can someone explain to me why is that?.....;)

Next is going to be the Stage IV Kit......

So in short to answer your question.....is all worth it....go ahead.....do it......

I second floridaman1398. I went from a Stage I (Heavy Breather and V&H Power Duals) to Stage III (114 ith SE8-498 Cam) and haven't regretted it yet. My last Dyno after break in was Max Power - 109.12 and Max Torque - 115.79. Stage IV is next.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith