Stock not cutting it..

Rhsra

Jun 9, 2015
Took the bike out at highway speeds for the first time yesterday. At 50+ felt like a bad prize fighter after the ride. I'm 6 ft and am trying to dial in the bike for optimal ride for me. I'm looking for suggestions on wind screen replacement.. I like clear view and freedom shield so far.. But as always I defer to you experts.. I also feel like I may be a bit to low in the saddle. I'm inexperienced so don't know what's right or wrong.. Thanx for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fork fangs will help the most with buffeting, along with the correct windshield height. I'm sure more recommendations will follow.

Fork fangs will help the most with buffeting

Again with fork fangs...so they REALLY make that big of difference huh...
Ive never dug how they look, but if they work...I guess maybe I need to get a set and try em out.

Fork fangs cut the up draft known as the beard-lift...redirects lower airflow up over the faring and they work extremely well...

Sent from my Note4 using Tapatalk

Installed the JES fork fangs last night (one of the few I found in glass black), and Joseph cut me a great deal. It does cut down the updraft, but the LRS Ultra 8" was a huge improvement for me also (I'm 6').

The stock StreetGlide windshield is NOT made for highway cruising. It's more of an around town type of windshield. It basically SUCKS! Much too short for highway speeds.
The ElectraGlide and Ultra windshield heights are more suited for highway speeds.
Especially at your height, you'll need a substantially taller windshield than a stock StreetGlide shield.

As you are going down the road at highway speeds, put one hand out in front of your face/helmet about 6 inches out and feel where the blast of air is coming off your windshield (I'm betting about nose/mouth level). At that speed, the blast of air location on your face will determine how much taller your windshield will need to be to get the blast of air over your head.
If you go faster, the windshield will need to be taller, as the blast of upward moving air is also being forced backward by the forward momentum of the bike.

I'm 5'10" -ish and have had good luck with 8-9 inch windshields in the past. You may need a couple more inches taller since you are a couple inches taller than me.
Depending on your preference, ..... typically....., you want to look over your windshield, not through it.

I use an adjustable windshield.... 8" normal position that I can look over and in bad weather (rain/cold/etc) it converts to 14" so that I'm completely behind the shield if needed. Takes a few seconds to adjust/convert heights.
See video of the adjusting process:
https://youtu.be/oYIr_qFB6eg

Ive never dug how they look, but if they work...I guess maybe I need to get a set and try em out.

Awhile back I foo-flawed the fork fangs because of their un-aesthetic qualities. After reading testimonials here I sprung for the HD forward curved version and am glad I did. I won't go back. Coupled with the adjustable lower fairing wings the bike is a joy to ride compared to the stock configuration. My only complaint (if it qualifies as such) is that when I lay back and stretch my legs out over the top of the crash bar there is a lot of heat on my left calf.

Blues

Last edited:

Buffeting comes from underneath, not over the windshield. If you're 5'6" or shorter, the stock windshield is probably fine. I'd try the fangs first. If you want to eliminate buffeting, the fangs are a must, then if you find a bit too much wind in your face, go with a taller windshield.

I'm 6' and went with a 10" Windsplitter. I didn't see much difference between the 7" and 10", bit the 10" looked better with my windshield bag. That combined with the fork fangs and the lower vents, I get more air in my face when I roll down the car window.

Last edited:

Not a big fan of the look either, but they do make a BIG difference. I've been running fork lowers on all my bikes HD or Metrics for over 10+ years now. Anytime I have a head buffeting issue, I start feeling for the airstreams while riding. Always find air flowing up and over the front of the tank. Following that airflow and it's headed up toward my head causing the buffeting. I've tried just windshield height & configuration adjustments, and they help somewhat but doesn't eliminate enough.

I prefer my head being stationary and not dancing around while riding. The only way I've ever been able to achieve that is with fork lowers. The only bike I haven't added fork lowers to was my '10 Ultra Limited. I think that was because of the full lowers and adjustable extensions on the fairing.

Just my experience.

I have a 8.5 Clearview/recurve, Fairing lowers* AND fork lowers. With that package I have zero buffeting!

* ala the Ultra adjustable lowers

I have a 8.5 Clearview/recurve, Fairing lowers* AND fork lowers. With that package I have zero buffeting!

* ala the Ultra adjustable lowers

That's a winning combo that worked on my buffeting issues, except I used the 7" Cee Bailey (Cee Devil) recurve instead.

You know what?! Try different helmets too! My full face catches a ton of air but my Akourry is awesome and catches almost no wind. I also am using a LRS 7" shield....

i don't think I'll ever wear a full face - or a 3/4 or even a 'real' half...yes, not safe I know, but I actually prefer no helmet (being from Texas) but they are law here - so it's the smallest ones I can find is what I wear - i want to be able to feel me itch my head through it if possible :)

i don't think I'll ever wear a full face - or a 3/4 or even a 'real' half...yes, not safe I know, but I actually prefer no helmet (being from Texas) but they are law here - so it's the smallest ones I can find is what I wear - i want to be able to feel me itch my head through it if possible :)

I lived in NH and DE prior to TN. Never wore a helmet until I moved here. I Always carried a light beanie just in case I wandered into a helmet state. I finally found a light half I like, but I had to sculpt the interior foam to make it fit right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith