Stock not cutting it..

So something I did the other day was really a surprise. I wear a Harley half helmet and decided to get a shield to carry with me in case of sudden rain. I experienced with putting it on to see how hard it would be and found out its not THAT easy so I kept it on and went on a ride to see how I would like it. Again, surprisingly it blocked a huge amount of wind from my face. I don't have fangs and I have a short windshield and before at above 80, the wind would catch my helmet and it would feel like it wanted to tear it off. I was constantly tightening the straps. I've decided to keep the shield on, though it makes it impossible to store the helmet in the saddlebag when I'm not with the bike, but what a difference that made with the wind.

Last edited:
My favorite half helmet is a Vega REAL Carbon Fiber topper. Its very light weight much more so than the fake Carbon Fiber model.

My favorite half helmet is a Vega REAL Carbon Fiber topper.

The Vega is a nice helmet. Also Daytona's are pretty nice.
I have a head like Mr Peanut - stick a monacle on me, a hat and give me a cain, you would be asking for some honey roasted... Some of the smaller helmets don't fit a Mr Peanut too well unfortunately, so I have quite a collection of ones I have tried.

I'm 6'3" with 32" inseam. My setup is the Klock Werks 8.5" Flare Windshield with the fairing wind deflectors (like stock Ultra) which still provides "clean air" without the head buffeting. With your height at 6' you should be able to see over the windshield just fine. Most dealers or Klock Werks direct offer a free demo program to try before you buy. Also had Mean City Cycles customize my stock seat. Dialed me in nicely.

I'm 6', and went with the Klockwerks 6.5". Cool, almost stock looks, with very little buffeting. At any speed...
image.jpg

Ok, back to fork fangs...so you guys have convinced me...bought a set of HD "fork air deflectors" this morning and will give them a try. Want to see if I can "light a cigarette" while cruising down the highway at 65 (I read that somewhere). Will report back in the near term. Hopefully with positive comments otherwise they'll be in the FOR SALE section.

I'm curious to see the report back Ripplingh20.
I'm also wondering what 'fangs' you guys with 14-15 are using...HD doesnt have any out for SG's from what I'm told by the dealer...

I'm also wondering what 'fangs' you guys with 14-15 are using...HD doesnt have any out for SG's from what I'm told by the dealer...

Same as 13 and earlier, even though it's not listed for 14 - 15 SG or SGS. Dealers wrong. P/N 57400146A

Fitment: Fits '95-later FLHR, FLHRC, FLHRS, '14 FLHRSE, and '95-’13 FLHT, FLHTC and FLHX models. Does not fit models equipped with Fairing Lowers. Does not fit '95-'13 models equipped with Lighted Fork Slider Kit or Custom Auxiliary Lighting Bracket Kit P/N 69227-04A or 68000043

What's not shown in HD's photo is the additional hole between the two mounting holes. It's needed to feed the turn signal wiring connector through.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Last edited:
Went for a 30 mile ride and I'll give them a rating of 6 out of 10. Although I've never experienced bobble-head syndrome from excessive buffeting it may have been difficult for me to fairly determine their effectiveness. I still had some wind swirling as I previously had and if I were a smoker, I probably couldn't have lit that cigarette. One thing I can report, it seemed I could hear my stereo (OEM) with better clarity which may mean some of the wind (noise) was being effectively deflected. All in all, nothing spectacular, they're ok, but the fact that the Mrs. says they "look nice" is grounds to keep them.

They made a world of difference for me but everybody is different in what or how they feel. Ordered a new taller clear view windshield and still waiting for the right one to get here. Sent me a shield for a 13 and older and I'm not very happy about that then wanting to charge me for a second shield until they get the first one back REALLY. Was hoping to test it before Sturgis ride but that won't happen now and I'm not leaving here without testing it first.

Never wore a helmet till the wife started riding and I got a pair of Sena headsets so I could coach her while riding. I got a Akoury AK-1 and just love it. They run a tad small but light and the Ratchet Type Chin Strap - NO D-RINGS is the best! The Sena headsets fit perfect also.

Never wore a helmet till the wife started riding and I got a pair of Sena headsets so I could coach her while riding. I got a Akoury AK-1 and just love it. They run a tad small but light and the Ratchet Type Chin Strap - NO D-RINGS is the best! The Sena headsets fit perfect also.

In Minnesota, Wisconsin, the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, etc. there the helmet laws are basically for children under 18. I don't wear a helmet I believe I am more aware of my surroundings than those that do. I would estimate close to 75% of HD riders do not wear one on a regular basis. When I want to talk to my sweetie I just turn my head a tad and she can hear every word. We all promote the comfort zone rule. DO WHAT YOU FEEL IS RIGHT FOR YOU.

None of us are crazy about the looks but you forget all that when you see the results!

Ya got that right, MOJO!!!! They were like mold.... they grew on me.... now I wouldn't be caught riding without them!

Ya got that right, MOJO!!!! They were like mold.... they grew on me.... now I wouldn't be caught riding without them!

They're especially effective riding in colder temperatures. They eliminate the cutting cold air that hits you hard from the waist up to your chin. Major difference. The only negative and as others have remarked, you tend to miss some of this air movement on hot days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saved my noggin a while back by wearing a helmet when I hit a patch of ice and dumped the bike . I was only doing about 10 mph but it put a big gouge on the helmet. Do what you feel but I'm a firm believer in them...

I saved my noggin a while back by wearing a helmet when I hit a patch of ice and dumped the bike . I was only doing about 10 mph but it put a big gouge on the helmet. Do what you feel but I'm a firm believer in them...

+1 ^^^
I wear a helmet not for protecting the bean on the highway or freeway (while doing 55-75 mph) but rather for all the in-town slower speed scenarios that could cause a serious headache.

I'm 5' 10" and run the LRS 8 inch shield and the fork fangs. Wasn't crazy about the look at first, but after my first long highway run I quickly got over it. I rode down to the Gulf Coast this last weekend. It was REALLY nice to get off the bike after 500 miles and not be tired from fighting wind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith