Streetglide unstable with heavier than normal load

KAB

Sep 10, 2023
Hello, I have a 2019 Streetglide I've owned since new, I just returned from a trip of approx 1500 miles where I rode 2 up with an added tour pack fully loaded with about 30 lbs and saddlebags filled with another 20 lbs. The bike has Ohlins HD 772 shocks on the rear and i made the recommended pre-load adjustment to the shocks for the load. As soon as I left pulling out of the driveway I thought for a moment I had a flat tire but I knew better I had just checked everything. Then when I came to my first stop the bike felt weird as can be and the only way I can describe is it felt like the bike was crab walking as it came to the final stop. The entire trip it felt unstable in everyway from highway groves, to stopping to turns on the twisties. I considered, or wondered if the drive belt could contribute to some of this crab walk feeling at super low speed if that was too tight. Any thoughts any one may have on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

With all the added weight above and behind the rear axle, the front end wasn't "planted" as it is normally. Even with your adjustments to the rear shocks the front end lightens up and causes the sensations that you felt.

Reactions: BillyBob
Gentlemen, thank you for your responses, surely the the full dressers don't experience this what if anything is he fix?

Have your neck bearings checked and adjusted if they are still in good shape. Replace if they aren't.

Have you done any 2up with out the tour pak and weight in the bags for any distance?

Yes I have, the bike has just 11K miles on it and has been serviced at all the recommended intervals. This is the only time I experienced any issue like this. Am I incorrect to assume that the frame and basic set up is the same as other models that come with tour packs standard?

The steering head bearings are not a checked item until 25k miles.

The only differences in the ultra models and yours are the front tire and wheel sizes. The rears are the same. The ultra came with a 130/80 17 and yours with a 130/60 19. If you really want to know, its a 1 inch difference. The Ultra's front end has a lower center of gravity, making it heavier in the front, compared to yours.

The drive belt can certainly have an affect on the feel of the ride. Especially if the swing arm bushings are bad. It is, belt, to be checked and adjusted at 1k, 5k and every 5k after that. With 11k on it, it should have had been checked and adjusted if needed, at least 3 times. If you don't have a belt tension tool, with the bike on the jiffy stand see if you can twist the belt to about 45°. More than that it too loose, and less than that its too tight.

Any grinding or howling type of noises that you can hear, especially while in a curve? If so, wheel bearings may be on their way out. Some have been known to fail in a relatively short amount of time/miles. Or tires are cupping. With cupping at slow speeds you'll "feel" the tire fall from the high spots, slipping into low spots. More so in turns and corners.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emurillo89