Swing Arm Hitting?

sub_squoch

Jan 5, 2016
I am looking for some more input: i have the dirty air rear air ride kit, tankless, on my 2015 street glide special. Everyone i talk to says 80psi on the gauge is a good solo riding pressure but my gauge reads more like 100-110psi when solo. At this psi i feel like the bike is higher than i would like, but any less and i get a loud noise and feel like im bottoming out, or like something is hitting, when i hit any sort of bump - and it doesnt need to be a big one! Anybody else have this issue? I have been searching and searching forums and i am reading about the swing arm hitting the trans, or the belt housing hitting something (primary?). Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue and what the resolution is. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I don't have an air gauge but my bike does bump something with no air or anything less that a slow 5 count. I have my belt tension set to a slow 8 count.

So at your "slow 8 count" do you feel like you are about at the same height as stock shocks?

just a little lower than stock. may be 1-2 in lower. also I weigh 185lbs and only 5'5" tall. this allows me to plant my feet flat .

Do you happen to know the dimension from the ground to the bottom of the bags when upright with stock shocks? Also, does your 8 count start from the moment you toggle the switch or from when the bike starts lifting? What size tubing do you have? Thanks!!!

I can give you a measurement when I get off work but my 8 count starts when I hit the switch.

i had this same issue on one of there sets of shocks, when delivered the box had oil all over it. i installed and had run high air pressure and would still bottom out. there was no oil for the shock to dampen.. i called Al at dirty works and he sent me a new set and life is good. Dirty Air is great to deal with

I can give you a measurement when I get off work but my 8 count starts when I hit the switch.
If I start counting when I hit the switch my bike doesn't even start lifting by the time I get to 8...

i had this same issue on one of there sets of shocks, when delivered the box had oil all over it. i installed and had run high air pressure and would still bottom out. there was no oil for the shock to dampen.. i called Al at dirty works and he sent me a new set and life is good. Dirty Air is great to deal with
Hmmmm interesting. When I got my shocks there was a little bit of oil but not a ton. So with your first set were you able to write on them with a really high PSI?

yes i could ride with high pressure, but a big bump they would still bottom out, not enough oil to slow the compression dampning

yes i could ride with high pressure, but a big bump they would still bottom out, not enough oil to slow the compression dampning
Do you have a gauge? If so, what psi do you solo ride at? Do you remember what you had it set at with the bad shocks?

I'm new to this and have read hundreds of pages of forums on air ride. I have a few questions if somebody can help.

Currently I have a 2006 street glide with a 21 inch front wheel and extended bags. I weigh 240 pounds and the girlfriend weighs approximately 150 pounds.

I'm looking at going with either Dirty air or Skully air. Dirty air offers the fast up tank option as where Skully doesn't which is a feature I want.

Here's a list of my worries if somebody can please help me out.

1. Several people have stated that at full extension the dirty air and skully are both hitting either the axle nut or the mufflers. Are there any fixes for this? One person said they put lowering blocks on it to keep this from happening and haven't had any problems with it. IMO that would eliminate the safety stop feature of bottoming out in a emergency situation if you were to loose all air pressure.

2. A lot of people are saying that you have to ride at a very high air pressure which makes the ride quality very stiff and uncomfortable if riding two up with a lot of weight, is this true? I live in Indianapolis and we do a lot of street riding and touring around our state (the state with the worst and most pot hole filled roads in America) with he occasional yearly trip to the dragon.

Honestly I just want a better ride quality over the blown stock shocks and am looking at these two companies because I can not afford the shotgun system even though I would own it in a heartbeat if I could.

Thank you in advance for the replies and guidance everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith