This puppy gets hot

Sandwiz

Jan 14, 2020
I have a new to me 2014 Street glide special, bought it beginning of the year. it has just over 3000 miles on it now.
When I say it gets hot I'm talking hot as in trying to cook my inner thy and its not even summer yet, that I expect will be in the wow! hot range
Its a California bike with stage one upgrades, Screaming Eagle air intake and Vance Hines 2 into 2 Exhaust, the style is big air radius and the cat on it is right there near your feet but that so far is not terrible but again come summer??

On the highway with my legs stretched out, feet on my highway bars its not a problem but I'm worried about around town driving come summer.

So is this a thing you all seem to have to deal with, or is my bike special?

Any thoughts?

here's what I would do. Run Amsoil synthetic 20x50. Install Fan assisted oil cooler (HD) It will need to be flashed to work. This will help with heat problem. It's what I did and I was surprised how much heat went away.

HD air cooled motors seem to run very hot, especially in hotter climate areas. I have Love Jugs, Oil cooler with fan and HD rear exhaust fan to pull away heat from the engine on my bike and it still runs hot but stay around 260 degrees. But during summer in June/July/August I only ride short distances.....can't bare the heat from the bike!

HD is so out of touch, every other manufacturers have liquid cooled motors and HD refused to produce their bikes with liquid cooled motors. HD does have liquid cooled motorcycles and for those models you have to sell your entire family to get one......lame as hell to me!

sandwiz- This is one of the very few reasons NOT to like to ride in AZ. Try these frame shields, I did this and it really did help:
shields.jpg Make sure you get the correct year model. I found out the hard way 2014 and 2017 & up mount differently on Rt side.

Bit of an old thread but have you had the bike on a dyno? maybe its very lean to meet emissions? lean fuel ratio = more O2 in chamber = hotter burn temp.

I see that you're in Cali so I don't know what your options are but getting rid of the cat made mine run much cooler. If you cut it out from the back side it may not be noticed...:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the reply's.
Here is what I have done, and yes its still hot but MUCH better now.
Ran thru the the desert and the temp hit 118 and the bike did well, did not get higher then 280 in the midst per the oil stick temp Gage when I stopped at a rest stop.
First I run Amsoil from now on, and installed the frame deflectors.
second I installed the Ultracool oil cooler
Third I installed Luv Jugs

As for the CAT, well I live in the draconian state of California BUT I have my eyes on a set of Rush Racing's "ceramic coated head pipe exhaust system" BUT this will take some investigation long term. maybe in a year or two!

again Thanks guys!
P.@. I might try the Dyno tune also!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith