Tire wear measurements

2014 FLHXS changed out front tire at 25,100 mi. still at 3/32 but starting to crack in tread groves a little went back with OE on sale and going to ride Death Valley this weekend.

6500 miles on mine. No visible signs of wear. Question for you hardened riders. My tires seem to loose 2-3 pounds of pressure every week or two. I can feel a noticeable difference in the handling when in a curve or if I hit uneven pavement. Bike wants to slide or kind of a "tire roll" sensation and gives me an uneasy feeling. As long as I have maximum pressure 36/40, I have no problems. Has anyone else felt this or is it me?
I felt the same thing! I thought I was just imagining it. We need to make sure the Tire Pressure stays 36/40.

I have '14 SGS with 19K on first set of tires. I still have good tread, but what I am seeing is rear flat and making noises in turns (cupping). I'm looking to get 20K+ on this tread no problem. Anyone else having issues with cupping (I do a lot of highway miles)?

Last edited:
Tire wear measurements

I would say what your having is not an issue. It's just the tire wearing out from that many miles. I don't think I've ever got 20,000 miles out of a set of tires. But to answer your question yes cupping is normal after that many miles

2014 FLHSX - 7706 miles , rear tire is at 2/32th just at wear bar. Front tire at 5/32. Rear tire is noisy as hell in turns. I'm having a new Dunlop, same as original installed today, along with fairing vent that rattles at 2000 to 2200 rpm.Yesterday my shifter started coming loose, having that fixed also. I really don't ride hard. I hope it was just a bad tire from factory.

Earlier in the thread I posted that my front tire was noisy, I thought it was tread wear. I just had my tires replaced last week, I went back with the OEM Dunlops. The original tires had 13,500 miles on them, I could have probably gone another 1,000 miles easy. I elected to have them replaced now due to the dealership having a 25% off sale on the tires plus a mail-in rebate for the tires in which I will receive a $50.00 HD cash card. I elected to do the tire replacement slightly early so that I could take advantage of the 25% off sale and the gift card. After the tire replacement the roaring noise from the front end completely disappeared.

I have '14 SGS with 19K on first set of tires. I still have good tread, but what I am seeing is rear flat and making noises in turns (cupping). I'm looking to get 20K+ on this tread no problem. Anyone else having issues with cupping (I do a lot of highway miles)?

No cupping problems yet but do have lean to the left buzz . . . .

Yep same as you, left turn buzz, not so much in right hand turn. Heading out this weekend for a 2.2K mile trip. When I get back I'll have over 23K on original tires.

No cupping problems yet but do have lean to the left buzz . . . .

I have 23K on my original set of tires out of the factory, but...

Rear has prob another 2-3K on it, when in turns load hollowing, and bike wants to get squarely on me. To the point it's a bear to ride in a pack of scooters. Has been cupped for the past 8K or so, was just trying to run the thread off it.

What has everyone been replacing their tires with? Thanks

Replaced both tires at 11,000 miles. Could have rode another 2000+ but I was going on a trip and wanted to be safe.

Replaced both tires at 11,000 miles. Could have rode another 2000+ but I was going on a trip and wanted to be safe.

Same mileage with me...replacing both today rather than wishing I had (sooner) down the road. Did much researching and opted for Dunlop American Elites instead of Commander II's. Both terrific tires & a photo finish but I liked the "made in the U.S.A." stamping on the Lops.

I have just over 15k miles with 3/32 remaining on the front and 6/32 on the rear. If memory serves me correct, the front new has 6/32's and the rear has 9/32's. Dunlop recommends replacing at greater than 1/32 (wear bars). I've read that Dunlop expects riders to get at least 20k with the OEM tires...

I also run 36 psi in the front and 44 psi in the rear and check them with my FOBO...:cool:

Last edited:
I'm reading everyone is getting 10,000 miles plus out of their stock rear tire. Why are mine bald at 8,00 miles?

U have almost 30k on the original tires. Rotated every 10k. Last trip to the dealer said I still have half life left. The good years are a 60k mile tire...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Woops sorry thought this was the Ford fusion thread lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave