To go stretched or not?

14POSE

Apr 3, 2015
I am at a cross roads with some customizing to my ride, I have the LED lights all taken care of now, tall boy seat with highway pegs, engine & exhaust is all done, I jut need to swap out grips, linkage, add the frame grill I want and then think about the sound system later. I have been thinking about either putting a liner in the stock bags, and an organizer, or going stretched from 4 - 4.5 inches. I have a couple of questions that I cant seem to find a direct answers to involving stretched bags.

1. My wife rides with me a lot, will stretched bags keep heat or have any issues from the dual exhaust after a few years ?

2. If I go to a 4.5 inch stretched bag on a stock street glide suspension along with my 130 lbs wife, do I need to invest in skid plates or they wont touch when cornering? Will the driver floor / foot boards scrape first? I have my solo speed then wife speed. My chiropractor loves how my wife hits me in the back of my helmet.

3. What function do they serve beside a little bit of extra storage in the extensions other than atheistic's ?

4. What is the issue with ABS vs Fiberglass?

Good questions 14POSE. So you're talking the real stretched bags and not the add on "extensions".
As I don't have them either I'm interested in hearing the replies as well.

Yep the real things might as well, hell we've all spent some coin on our scoots, nothing wrong with the add on extensions but if I am going, " for the look" I might as well reap what benefits may come with the real stretched bags. I'm still up in the air about it all that's why I asked about it here good forum,good people.

I have the harley stretched bags on my 15 SGS stock suspension and I have had the floor board scrape but not the bag. That is ridding solo, so not sure if any extra weight in the back would make a difference.

I have noticed 0 difference in heat, again from the riders perspective only.

It is nice to have the little extra room in the bags, but I think it is definitely more of an aesthetic upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I just have the add on bag extensions on my on my bike I have not scraped them yet I went with just the extensions for a few reasons
1 cost they are less expensive then extended bags
2 the extensions are replaceable if they get scraped up or damaged for less then it would cost to repair or replace an extended bag
3 when you install extended bags you are not changing the lower mounting point of the bag so the only part of the bag that's extended is the outside bottom section of the bag witch means the extra space you will gain in the bag will be a 1" wide 4.5" deep pocket that means any small items you may carry in your bags will collect in that space and you will have to dig them out with your fingers so I did not see extended bags as adding any real extra useable space for me

A lot depends on how far down and back strecthed you go for the rubbing or not. Usually, a stock SGS can do 6 inch stretch and a few inches back with no issue of rubbing, but most people do 4 - 4.5. When you get 6 or more, you're getting into the 'show bike' lengths, and riding them can cause some issues (note the word 'can'). Some bags you can get with angled bottoms too that help from scraping. With 4 inch, you will be on your side before you scrape the bags - and none of us want to be on our side!
What do they do? They do what we all want, make the bike look cooler! haha My opinion at least... And yes, you get a little extra space in there.
As for heat of the pipes...again - depends on how low you go - some will require downturned ends, some require extentions (to make them continue out beyond the bags) - but again, if you go with 4 inch - even with the duallys, you wont have any heat issues. They dont (shouldnt) sit right on the pipe.
Personally, I like the clean look with no cut outs - but then of course that requires side routed pipes...
Hope maybe this helps answer some of your questions...

I love the look of the "show bike stretch" but I am going to go with the 4.5 " bags. I am looking to go bad dad rear kit or top shop venom. The problem lies in how much they cost. LoL. I am going to drop some coin on the Stereo first, tired of having my volume all the way up at 75 and still can't here the tunes.

Fluffy is correct about the mounting points under the bags - they do not change, still sits on the bad rack like stock, but you do gain more than an inch in width for that extra space, and personally, I like the extra space a lot.
I reccommend Bad Dad highly - John Adams (not the ex-President) is a great guy to work with.
Here is a shot of mine - I went 4.5 down and 9 back - not everyone likes the back stretch, but for me I love it.
Any questions you may have, let me know- more than happy to help.IMG_4560.jpg

Nice bike Coop! Looks like a bat-mocycle :)

Fluffy is correct about the mounting points under the bags - they do not change, still sits on the bad rack like stock, but you do gain more than an inch in width for that extra space, and personally, I like the extra space a lot.
I reccommend Bad Dad highly - John Adams (not the ex-President) is a great guy to work with.
Here is a shot of mine - I went 4.5 down and 9 back - not everyone likes the back stretch, but for me I love it.
Any questions you may have, let me know- more than happy to help.View attachment 7470

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith