Using a lift … center of gravity?

jjwright

Jun 20, 2016
Curious? How do you determine the exact center of gravity when using a lift on your touring bike?
I get paranoid when lifting my bike. When I raise it, I feel it may fall forward or backward. Say, I lift it to work on the rear, I raise it and remove the saddle bags … the front end kind of tethers or if I’m removing the front tire, the rear tethers.
I’ve two lifts, one is a Scissor lift with a 14 inch platform, the other is a Harbor Freights lift (don’t recall the dimension of the lift pads). Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am assuming that you have a four caster floor bike lift if so. Then line up lift under bike with coward base an inch or so back from where lower frame begins to turn up. Have some one center you bike off kickstand then raise lift until bike is up right. Make sure lift passes through both sides of frame. Then lift wheels off ground until you are at desired height then what I do is place blocks of wood under the rear tire to sure it up. If you want you can secure bike to jack with tie down straps most lifts have eyelets that you can secure tie down straps to. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eduzueta